Menu

help with algebra problem

I know this is a simple problem...but my husband is telling me I am doing it all wrong.

These are exponents...and I will do my best to write it out....The small number is the exponent. (I cant figure out how to type it high...so it is low...sorry.) It also wont leave spaces...so they are fractions split..the second fraction is - 6 xy divided by -x ...I will write it both ways..

20x3y . -6xy

------- ------ =

4xy2 -x

or

20x3y

-------

4xy2

* (times)

-6xy

------

-x

I come out with 30x2

Is that wrong?

You have the right answer. I don't know what he's telling you you're doing wrong -- pasting that may help.

FWIW, it's easier to display math equations by using x^2 = x-squared, etc. That'd solve your problem with being unable to get superscripts.

I've been teaching/tutoring online for years... I've learned to cope...

To get my problem to show here I 'wrote' it using MS Paint and saved it as a jpeg file. I used my photo editing program to crop it. I downloaded it to shutterfly.com and brought up the picture. I right clicked properties and copied the URL number (it is LONG)--then pasted into the 'insert image' form here.

To e-mail a worked problem to a student I can do a similar trick. After I work the problem I copy it into MS Word then copy it into my e-mail. It will NOT copy from MS Paint into an e-mail. This way the student sees the problem without having to open an attachment. (Make sure e-mail is set on HTML).

I LOVE my graphics tablet... I use an online whiteboard interface when I do my online classes.. and writing the the graphics tablet's pen is MUCH easier than trying to use a regular mouse or keyboard.

Edited by Jann in TX

yes...that is very cool! Thanks. I am glad I am right! My hubby is always joking that he is better at math. Guess homeschooling is doing well for me! LOl. :)

Sometimes I try it when people post questions like this, because Algebra is as much of a bugaboo of my homeschool life as it was when I was in high school... But I got it right!

:party:

Debbie