Menu

Am I cheating my daughter out of a credit?

My oldest is finishing her first high school year of Latin - doing 1/2 of Wheelock's. She'll do the rest of Wheelock's next year (completely Latin Grammar)and then start Latin readings classes. Her best friend is taking Latin in the public schools. She will end up in AP Latin reading classes as well. But she's in Latin III (she's a year older) and is finishing Latin grammar this year - something that we are doing in 2 years. She has also commented a few times that my dd seems to know Latin better than her. Her friend is a very bright girl and studies very hard so I don't think it's a function of her not learning properly. I just think they take 3 years to do what we are doing in 2. So am I cheating my daughter by only giving her 2 credits for the 2 years of Wheelocks or is that just the way it is?

Heather

I think this one is a problem with schools too. In the past, students were expected to cover all of the basic grammar in two years. Now, many schools take three years to cover the same amount of material. The National Latin Exam recently reorganized a bit so that there is a "Latin III" exam for kids whose classes have taken three years to complete their grammar study (when in the past, third year Latin was expected to begin studying prose or poetry).

I don't think you're "cheating" your daughter, especially if she's continuing on and you can call her third year, "Latin III - prose readings" or some such that indicates she is working in a reading environment at that point.

Another possibility to consider might be for your daughter to take an AP Latin course at some point.

It's also interesting to consider that there are four Henle Latin books. Today, it's quite common to take two years to complete Henle Latin book 1 and have it count as a Latin 1 and a Latin 2 credit. I presume (perhaps I'm incorrect) that when Henle wrote the books each book was covered in one school year. Times change!

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks ladies. She definitely plans on 4 years of Latin during her high school years which will include at least on year of AP. I guess I'm a bit bothered because the kids from public school will have 5 years of foreign language on their transcript (true for all of her friends taking Latin or modern language) but she'll just have 4 even though she'll have done as much as the kids with 5 years. I guess it won't be a problem as long as she does well on the AP exams.

Heather