Menu

So in addition to KIN's post about sending kids to school. More advise please.

I like the idea of doing the things you wished you'd do more of at home now instead of sending them to school. However, how do you not feel guilty about not getting all the school done you wanted and instead playing games and cuddling and reading instead? :confused: I would like to do more fun things, but it's really hard for my anal mind to let go of things, i.e. school, housework, and meals. I also look at our schedule for next year and it scares me to death:eek:. School takes us a long time already (1st&2nd this year) and now I need to add writing for 3rd grade.(there was something else, but I've completely lost that train of thought:o) Talk me down please.

I like the idea of doing the things you wished you'd do more of at home now instead of sending them to school. However, how do you not feel guilty about not getting all the school done you wanted and instead playing games and cuddling and reading instead? :confused: I would like to do more fun things, but it's really hard for my anal mind to let go of things, i.e. school, housework, and meals. I also look at our schedule for next year and it scares me to death:eek:. School takes us a long time already (1st&2nd this year) and now I need to add writing for 3rd grade.(there was something else, but I've completely lost that train of thought:o) Talk me down please.

We read a lot, so there was nothing to feel guilty about. I also employed any and every book on tape and independent teaching games I could find. I bought a lot of educational toys, things for imaginative play, puzzles, those brainquest cards, etc. We actually learned a lot of Spanish that year, because I had become so dependent on audio-type things.

As soon as the new baby and I were ready to get up and out, or if she needed a nap, we did what I saw referred to in another post as 'stroller schooling' - talking, asking questions, spelling bees, name games for geography, math facts, etc.

Later, we went back to doing about an hour of formal school in the mornings, and later added an hour in the afternoons (when baby was awake - when baby was asleep, I was resting or tidying up).

I kept my house so incredibly decluttered that there was nothing to pick up. I had a huge room upstairs that was the playroom - and I didn't worry about cleaning it very often. So, floors and laundry were done, but not frequently. But my house never *looked* dirty, so I was fine.

Dinner was the easiest of the easy - chicken in the oven, salad, things like that. Nothing that required more than a second of actual prep time. And I wasn't above cheating on that, either. We ate a lot of grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup for dinner, and that was fancy enough for a couple of little kids (dh would cook sometimes, if he was home early, but he always went to the grocery store for me). If I had a dh home every night for dinner, I would do some kind of make a lot/make ahead plan.

I was on bed rest for a month before, and just about dead for a few months after (and not quite up to speed for at least a year) of this pregnancy. I just learned that I had to lower my standards as far as cooking and cleaning were concerned, or I wasn't going to make it. We ate a lot of raw vegetables because I didn't have time to cook -but that's good! Actually, our diet was very healthy. Dh thought it was a lot on me (homeschooling), and thought it couldn't be done. This degree of help from him wasn't the norm (as it is in a lot of our households!) Gee, maybe I should have a baby ;d.

We spent more time together, learned more, and had more fun in that year or so than anytime before or since.

Do you have a whole bunch of curriculum you feel like you have to get through this year? Can you brainstorm easier ways to accomplish some of your goals, combine things, simplify? Mine were in K & 2nd when I did this, and even though it wasn't the original plan I had for my 2nd grader, it worked out fine.

Relax. Your kids are the ages that you CAN let go of things and it will be ok. :) I love homeschooling little ones. The absolute only things you need to do daily are math and language arts. Take time to read and enjoy the bunny trails that your children's interest sparks. You should also be able to combine them for everything but math and LA. It shouldn't take that terribly long.....I would think around 3 hrs for 2nd and 3rd.

For meals, the crockpot is my best friend. I love throwing things in it in the morning and not having to worry what kind of day we end up having, b/c either way, dinner is accomplished. :)