Menu

Three new children arrived yesterday. Two do not speak English!

I knew it was time to start teaching the kids Spanish and thus learn it myself. I didn't start soon enough. Yesterday I got two little boys who only speak Spanish. They are 1 and 3 years old. I am so tired tonight because just communicating the most basic things is really hard! Trying to comfort them when they are scared is incredibly challenging. Then the baby had an asthma attack. The inhalers he came with are empty, so the doctor said I could use my childrens' nebulizer, but the little guy was scared of it. I had to call the children's hospital and get one of the lab techs who speaks Spanish to talk to him. He was able to calm him enough for me to give him the breathing treatment.

I also got a seven year old girl from another family yesterday. She has fit in with my children quite well. She will only be here until Monday. Her teacher sent schoolwork for her, so she had plenty to do during school today. She just thought it odd that my children go to school in a room right off the living room and playroom! I had to remind her often that she couldn't just wander off and get a doll or toy because we really were doing school.

Toys are still scattered around the room, but at least everyone is fed and happy and in bed!

A year ago we hosted 4 young Korean children for a week. The youngest was probably 6 years old and was very homesick. Every night he wanted to talk to the Masters of his TaeKwonDo Group multiple times (they wanted him to spend time with an American family but I truly believe this child was too young). He did not speak English and while 2 of the other girls spoke English very well, they were not very helpful.

One thing that seemed to help him go to sleep was just talking to him. It didn't matter what I said, I just told him stories, stroked his head and sometimes sang. It usually relaxed him enough to go to sleep.

By the end of the week, he was more comfortable (tho still quite homesick).

I think as a mom, we just have a comforting voice regardless of our language.

HTH

Cathy, I don't claim to speak Spanish, but all of my kids did as toddlers. (For the oldest, it was because our day care provider spoke only Spanish to the kids. For the rest, it's because my husband has become fluent in Spanish and speaks to the young kids primarily in Spanish.)

Anyway, you probably already know these words, but these are the ones I find most useful with my kids:

leche=milk

pan=bread

come (CO may)=eat

agua=water

jugo (HU go)=juice

libro=book

jugete (hu GE tay)=toy

biberon=bottle (my son shortens this to bibi [beebee])

mas=more

no mas=no more

You might also find YouTube helpful for any future nebulizer treatments. My toddler loves Spanish-language kids' music videos and short cartoons. Some favorites are "La Vaca Lola," "Cucu de la Rana," and the Spanish versions of Poco Yo.

Apologies in advance if I'm telling you what you already know. Blessings to you and the children.

Thanks for all the encouragement and the words/phrases. The boys are doing okay. Today was a little hard because we had a surprise visit from their parents. The little one ran and got his coat. They thought they were leaving. They both cried a lot through the day and had a rough time settling down for bed. They are starting to use some English words. I just wish I new enough Spanish to comfort them more when they cry.

Andie, you asked about the little one who had a MRSA infection on her leg. She responded well to the meds and went home to her mom Christmas Eve. It was a beautiful reunion! Since they left I have had a 5 month old, then a 10 months old, and now the two boys and a 7 year old girl. It has been active around here!

I must admit we did not get our full school schedule completed Friday. We got to the basics, but science fell by the wayside. I am hoping this week goes smoothly. The 3 year old enjoys sitting and coloring and listening to the stories, but the toddler just wants to be on the move. He usually takes a nice long nap, so that will be helpful!

At least there is never a dull moment around here!