Menu

What Can I Use? (Curriculum, Workbooks, Etc.)

The OT has a six-month wait. What would be good choices to use until then for handwriting. Issues are probably dysgraphia in one and fine-motor skills problem in the other. I've been wary of trying anything with them for a while now, afraid I'll make things worse. But I know we can't hold off six months on handwriting for 7 and 9yos.

I see that tying shoes is still quite a task for them both. They can do it, but it seems to take an inordinate amount of time compared to how long they've know how to tie. IOW, it's not automatic with them. What can I do along those lines as well?

I can tell you what we've done with our OT that has helped with these things.

She showed me some paper that has been GREAT for helping my ds with keeping his letters approximately the same size as well as helping him with spacing between words. She said she got it at Walmart so I bought some. It is called "RediSpace" by Mead. It comes in a "notebook" format (not spiral). We used this paper for copywork here at home and she let him choose (after the first day of using the Redispace at OT) whether to use the Redispace or regular wide-ruled paper for copywork at OT. She also showed ds how to use another pencil than the one he is writing with to create a space on his paper between words. The Redispace was the ONE and BIGGEST thing (to me) that really "trained" him to leave that space. I still have to remind him now and then about leaving the spaces, but he has gotten VERY good with it.

As far as tying shoes, we're still working with that too. What our OT did was to start BIG. She got a BIG cord and showed ds how to tie it around the leg of a table, in very slow steps. Starting big is key and then going down to the shoe strings.

ETA: We had already worked through HWT and I didn't think ds would want to do it again (the next step would have been cursive and he isn't ready for that).

Handwriting Without Tears is the OT choice for handwriting.

You can also do things to help them with their fine motor skills in the meantime. Work with clay a lot. Sculpey is very good because it's hard and you have to work it a long time to mold it.

Bury little beads in Playdough and have them pick them out.

Using tweezers or tongs, have them pick up beads from one box and put them in another.

Put a row of pennies on a table. Have them turn each of them over starting at the outsides and working towards the middle (both hands are being used. each turning one penny over)

Use clothespins to hang clothes, or pictures, etc. Let the kids open and close the pins (builds strength in the hands)