Menu

Duke TIP summer courses - reviews/experiences (x-post)

Hoggirl

We are considering sending ds to one of the DukeTIP three-week summer programs. If you have had a child do this, how was his/her experience? I am mostly concerned about the "social" aspect. Character, friendliness, etc. of other students. Also quality of supervision.

Thanks in advance.

ETA: Ds is completing 7th grade and is young-ish for his grade. Not turning 13 until the middle of the summer.

Edited by Hoggirl

Ds. went to a camp a couple of years ago. The students were friendly and supervision was adequate. However, there is no restriction on what is watched on TV. Also, since most of the kids come from secular public and private schools ds. heard a lot of profanity. Orthodox christian views are frowned upon. But if your child is grounded in his/her faith and has an understanding of worldviews, he should survive. Pm me privately for any further info.

Ds. went to a camp a couple of years ago. The students were friendly and supervision was adequate. However, there is no restriction on what is watched on TV. Also, since most of the kids come from secular public and private schools ds. heard a lot of profanity. Orthodox christian views are frowned upon. But if your child is grounded in his/her faith and has an understanding of worldviews, he should survive. Pm me privately for any further info.

I sent you a p.m.

• 4 months later...
Guest MorningMoon

I participated in the program as a 7th grader at the age of 12, and had a fine time. The kids are wonderful, and there's tons of supervision (we had one hour of free time) I can't recommend Davidson enough, and I hope your son decided to go.

The high school program at Duke East is a bit rowdier, but there is no problem at all for the younger students. We weren't even allowed to go to into the opposite sex's rooms, and plenty of people went to church on Sunday, ect. Quite tame, and one of the best experiences of my life.

I participated in the program as a 7th grader at the age of 12, and had a fine time. The kids are wonderful, and there's tons of supervision (we had one hour of free time) I can't recommend Davidson enough, and I hope your son decided to go.

The high school program at Duke East is a bit rowdier, but there is no problem at all for the younger students. We weren't even allowed to go to into the opposite sex's rooms, and plenty of people went to church on Sunday, ect. Quite tame, and one of the best experiences of my life.

His choices of campuses were Davidson and Trinity University in San Antonio. His first choice class was at Trinity, and that was the class he got. He had a terrific time. Made lots of friends, too. He definitely wants to go back next year, but he does want to go to the high school program. After completion of 8th grade students can choose between 7/8 classes or 8/9/10 classes. He said most at his class this year were students who had just completed the 7th grade with a "few" who had just completed the 8th grade.

He did say that there were some language issues. One kid got expelled. I think he made good choices about who he chose to hang out with. However, he said only a couple of kids went to church. I had hoped he would, but he opted to do laundry on Sundays instead. It was really the only time they had to do it!

Very good experience here, and I am glad we let him go. If we can afford it next year, we will let him go again, though I am a bit anxious about him being with the older crowd.

Edited by Hoggirl
Ack, wordy, rambling! I need to go to bed. I still didn't fix everything!