Menu

What exactly is megawords?

Megawords combines spelling, reading and vocabulary. It's basis is "mega-words"- multi-syllabic words. We use it mainly as a spelling program, but also enjoy the vocabulary side of it. It teaches spelling with a very good review of phonics. In fact, students aren't made to memorize a list of words, but to memorize spelling rules. My son has greatly improved in spelling in the 3 years we've used it.

They have 8 books. We have done two a year and are set to finish the last 2 next year when ds is in 8th grade.

So would this help my daughter with having a hard time pronouncing large/odd words? She will be going into 7th would she be too old for it? If now where would I start her to help with her pronunciation?

After ignoring this program for a few years :glare: I started ds on Megawords 1 a few weeks ago. We're only on list 2 and I can already see an improvement in his pronunciation and spelling. I like that they have the reading and spelling activities on separate pages, so if you're child does okay with the reading you can skip certain pages and focus only on the spelling, or vice versa. We plan on doing 2 books a year until we complete the series.

IMO I would start at level 1 and you could progress at a faster pace.

So would this help my daughter with having a hard time pronouncing large/odd words? She will be going into 7th would she be too old for it? If now where would I start her to help with her pronunciation?

Megawords would probably work very well for her as large words are its specialty! My son is using it in 7th grade with no complaints. I believe it is geared for 4th grade and up. There's nothing all "little-kiddish" about it- just plain black and white pages.

It is always recommended to start with book 1, no matter what the child's age. It breaks down the basics of syllabication.