Menu

looking for beginning piano book suggestions

I've been discussing a fine arts credit with my 14yo. She thinks she'd like to try piano. I can teach first year piano, but that's all. My skill set doesn't go beyond that point.

What piano book series would you recommend? My oldest used the Alfred books for kids her first year, but the teacher wasn't a good fit. The next year she switched to another teacher who use the Mayron Cole method. She liked that teacher a lot better.

I can read music and can do very basic playing with both hands, but I'm not great at two-handed playing. As I said, I can't take her beyond first-year, but I can get her that far and that's all that she needs.

Any suggestions for piano instruction books?

For learning to read music well, the very best method is Music Pathways (NOT to be confused with Pathways readers--this is secular). I'm not sure how easy it would be to teach if you're not experienced with it, but if there are any DVDs with it, it is the best I have ever seen. I've taught with at least a half a dozen different beginner methods, including the ever popular Alfred's & Bastien. If you ch oose Alfred's or Bastien, be sure to choose one for older beginniers

My second choice is Noona.

For a fine arts credit, I'd be sure to include the theory book that goes with it, and I'd do some music appreciation with classical & jazz piano music along with any popular music you like that has a lot of piano/keyboard in it (or even just on the piano--by pop music I mean rock/country/blues/folk, etc).

Alfred has an adult beginner book, it used to be silver. It's good for teens.

Really any series you find at a music store is going to be fine as long as it teaches reading, not just playing by ear (which only seem to be advertised on TV and in the backs of magazines and things).

I looked around at the music store and ended up buying the level 1 all-in-one Alfred book for adults. My 11yo surprised me by saying that she wants me to teach her piano along with the 14yo this summer.

My 11yo really likes classical music and that's what she wants to learn to play on both the guitar and the piano.

I've been practicing with the Alfred book all week. I shouldn't have any problems covering level 1 with my dd. I may need to have her take private lessons if she wants to go beyond that.

I didn't like the look of Bastien at all. They had Noona only for young children. They didn't have Music Pathways. Faber&Faber looked okay, but I liked Alfred better.

My 11yo was very excited that I got the music for both the classical songs she's learned to play on the guitar, so she's had me play along with her. There's lots of free music here:

http://gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/freebies.html

I looked around at the music store and ended up buying the level 1 all-in-one Alfred book for adults. My 11yo surprised me by saying that she wants me to teach her piano along with the 14yo this summer.

My 11yo really likes classical music and that's what she wants to learn to play on both the guitar and the piano.

I've been practicing with the Alfred book all week. I shouldn't have any problems covering level 1 with my dd. I may need to have her take private lessons if she wants to go beyond that.

I didn't like the look of Bastien at all. They had Noona only for young children. They didn't have Music Pathways. Faber&Faber looked okay, but I liked Alfred better.

My 11yo was very excited that I got the music for both the classical songs she's learned to play on the guitar, so she's had me play along with her. There's lots of free music here:

http://gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/freebies.html

Be sure to work on good technique, posture, hand position, etc from the beginning in case you transfer to private lessons later. Much easier to learn from the beginning. Hope it goes well!!