Menu

After Saxon 7/6----8/7 or Alg. 1/2?

Darcy in FL

It seems on the old boards that there was some discussion about which path to take after Saxon 7/6. TWTM book recommended skipping 8/7 (unless you need a slower pace-which we don't) and doing Algebra 1/2. which was my plan. But if I remember correctly someone said in using the latest editions you should do 8/7 instead of 1/2. :confused: Can anyone tell me if have this right or wrong? If I have it right-- what is the reasoning behind it and why the change? Thanks!

The OLD (original edition) 8/7 texts did not include an introduction to variables.

Both 8/7 and Algebra 1/2 are considered 'Pre-Algebra' texts. I personally (as a math teacher and parent) prefer 8/7. It moves a bit slower and the explanations are in a bit more detail. Algebra 1/2 jumps right in to more complex problems and has a tiny bit more Geometry (like constructions) in the back. I've tutored more students who had troubles in Algebra 1/2 (due to the program moving too fast). Most students really benefit from a 'once more from the top' Pre-Algebra course to solidify processes and give them a year to mature before the more abstract problems of Algebra 1.

If your student is a VERY strong math student then use Algebra 1/2. If they are making below 90% on tests and daily work then use 8/7.

Algebra 1/2 is just different enough that one could work BOTH texts if an extra 'maturity' year is needed.

I think this is what I'm going to do. The new texts (softcovers) have been revamped so that 8/7 has much more Pre Algebra included. The recommendation was to use 8/7 after 7/6 IF you are using the NEW books. If you are going to buy second-hand and get an older edition, go with Alg. 1/2. Somebody on this board had said she spoke to a Saxon rep. who said you could use 8/7 after 7/6 with the second edition and above. I'll most likely buy used and will probably go w/ Alg. 1/2. You can always call Saxon and ask them what they think as well.

Dd was strong in math in 7/6, she's a strong all around student really. So I thought with her I'd go 1/2 and then with the next I'd go 8/7. Well after weeks of missing 30% of the problems and reworking those the next day, we've gone back and are doing 8/7. She tested until I couldn't be sure she was just making silly mistakes and really wasn't getting it. Now she is going through and doing well again. I am once again enjoying correcting her math. I know I'm much happier! I will definitely go with 8/7 for my next child.

After Saxon Math 76, I had my dd take the Saxon Math 87 Tests one each day until she scored less than 85%. We would go over any problems she missed together. Once she scored less than 85% we did the lessons daily. If I remember correctly they were the last 20-30 (maybe a few more) at the end of the text. Then she began Saxon Algebra 1/2 doing one lesson per day. We also use the DIVE CD for the instruction. She is doing well in the text, scoring better than 85% on the problem sets and missing only 1 problem at the most on the tests. She will start Saxon Algebra 1 in June.