Menu

My Fathers World vs. Heart of Dakota

It is a real pickle. :lol: You can do a search on this board, if you haven't already, and find many threads debating the pros and cons of each. But generally speaking, I'd say that since you're one busy mom of 5 ;) it will be much easier for you to combine your children into one program with MFW.

I've tried both, and keep coming back to MFW for its overall efficiency, and we've used everything from Kindergarten through 9th grade. I've seen a lot of folks switch to HOD after just a couple of years (give or take) of MFW, without having done any of the history cycle. That's not to bash HOD or its users (HOD definitely has its own strengths); I'm just mentioning that because MFW has a completely different "feel", and scope, in the history cycle after ECC than it does in the early years. I hate to see folks switching out before they even GET to the history cycle.... I like the fruit I'm seeing in my girls after having used MFW for several years. :001_smile:

I like to recommend that a mom considering MFW (and HOD, for that matter) print off all the sample lessons of each year of the program and read through them in order to give you an idea of what topics are covered, in each subject, not just history, and how each program builds upon the previous year(s). This is the next best thing to being able to see and touch the materials in person. Will you be attending a homeschool convention this year?

And of course, pray! :)

Unfortunately, MFW is not at any conventions in NY. :( Though when visiting my parents in TX last year and attending their convention, I happened to stumble across the MFW catalog after taking one of their classes (How to keep young ones entertained while schooling-lol), and it wasn't until I got home and stated looking through the different catalogs that the MFW jumped out at me and it was quite clear that that was the direction the Lord was leading us. Now several people in our co-op use HOD and so I got a catalog (my downfall) and it looks equally as wonderful. But THANK YOU for your reply, it is exactly what I needed to hear and the efficiency of MFW is one of the reasons we started it in the first place! You just can't beat the simplicity of the "5 year cycle" with a large family. We loved MFW this year and I need to remind myself, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Ha! Thanks again!!

Your family is beautiful! :001_smile:

Which year of MFW are you currently using? Maybe you could order the next level and take a look through it. They have a 30-day money back guarantee, less shipping. And be sure to ask/call the office/browse the archives on the message boards if you have any questions or concerns about a specific area!

Edited by Donna A.

My dh and I have been sitting at our dining room table for the past two hours trying to decide between these two programs!

For my rising 4th grader I am looking at MFW Creation to the Greeks or HOD Creation to Christ. Unfortunately, I don't have to worry about adding in other children, it is just my daughter.

MFW seems to have a broader approach - including the music and art. It also seems to have more 'activities' which our daughter would love. I can't tell if HOD is as full of activities e.g. preparing feasts, Egyptian meals, etc.

Any insight? Thanks!!!

My dh and I have been sitting at our dining room table for the past two hours trying to decide between these two programs!

For my rising 4th grader I am looking at MFW Creation to the Greeks or HOD Creation to Christ. Unfortunately, I don't have to worry about adding in other children, it is just my daughter.

MFW seems to have a broader approach - including the music and art. It also seems to have more 'activities' which our daughter would love. I can't tell if HOD is as full of activities e.g. preparing feasts, Egyptian meals, etc.

Any insight? Thanks!!!

I was wondering if you have already done ECC. We're doing it now, and it has been so much fun. My crafty dd has done so many projects on her own after being inspired through our lessons...like designing and sewing Mexican skirts for herself and 2 sisters for our trip to a Mexican restaurant. It's been a lovely curriculum experience so far. I have done HOD (Bigger) and for us, MFW works better.

Thanks to all of you who added to this post, it has really blessed me to hear all your thoughts, as I have been struggling over this decision for a couple months now.

This year we did Adventures with my 3rd grader and the Kinder curriculum. I loved them both and had no issues whatsoever. We had a much more "freeing" homeschool experience than the previous year using the fast pace, jampacked Abeka program (which is great for Christian schools, but not so much homeschools, imo). I am VERY pleased with the year we had and hope we have many more like it! Even after having a baby in Dec, we never got behind (though we took the month off) and are still on target to finish end of May-with nothing left out! (This is not to our credit as much as it is to this wonderful curriculum that is so full, yet not overboard. Not too much and not too little, just right! I love that it leaves wiggle room. :) )

Anyway, after looking through the HOD catalog (100+ times) I agree that it looks just wonderful, but I think it's our natural ambition as homeschool moms to seek that absolute most perfect curriculum available on the market. I've come to the conclusion that there are many wonderful choices out there and I think it would benefit my kiddoes more if I stuck to one that we liked and worked well, and in that way avoiding any major gaps that curriculum swapping can cause.

I just ordered the MFW 1st for my son and will be doing ECC with my 4th grader in the fall, that way she will finish the 5 year cycle in 8th grade and all my other kids will just jump on board as they hit 2nd. It's an absolutely ingenious and uncomplicated idea (the 5 year cycle, that is). I feel so at ease now! Sheeew. I have heard wonderful things about ECC and am excited to try it and all MFW users I've talked to (or read up on) say it just gets better and better.

In conclusion, though HOD looks just as wonderful as MFW, (and I really think you can't go wrong with either choice), I especially appreciate the simplicity MFW lends to moms of several children who need help getting it all together. It's a fantastic curriculum that was put together by an incredible family, and I love the fruit I am seeing in my children. I really don't know why I'm asking for more. :banghead:

This year I used both MFW-K and HOD-LHFHG with my kids and I am STILL torn between the 2 programs. I like them both! It took me a good 3 months and specifically fasting and praying about it for Lent to make a decision about what to do for next year. There are things I like about each of them and things I don't like about each of them. To be honest, I think they compliment each other really well and put together would make a great well-rounded curriculum. But since that's not an option....

My plan for next year is to use HOD-BLHFHG with my kids and then in 2 years to start the 5 year cycle of MFW. I looked at Adventures for my DS for next year and when I realized that the information was just going to be repeated in the history cycle, and I wouldn't be using it again with my other 2 kids, I decided to use HOD 1 more year and then switch over.

The programs are so similar that I think it just comes down to which layout of TM you like better, what history cycle you like better, and the age span of your kids. My older 2 are close enough together that I can combine them into one HOD program and have it be on a good level for both of them. Once I add in my youngest, that won't be the case anymore and that's when MFW would suit better.

Yes, I like that idea a lot. I will proabably end up going along with that same idea myself. Since I have 3 still coming up on Kindergarten, I will probably switch back and forth using HOD and MFW for K and 1st (ds-MFW, dd-HOD, ds MFW, dd-HOD) and then stick with MFW from then on as they reach 2nd. That way, I will satisfy my desire to try something new (I don't want to rush them through the lesson because I am bored with it after doing it so many times), yet not sacrifice a concrete learning experience by jumping around all the time.

Guest Jen5253

This has been great to read this thread! I currently have almost everything I need for HOD Little Hands to Heaven and Little Hearts for His Glory. But I really love the missions aspect of MFW, and have been leaning towards using it with my daughter. I will start Kindergarten with her next year. I think I'm going to combine some things out of both, since I can use Little Hands to Heaven with my son, who just turned two. But I think long term, I'd prefer to use MFW.

Thanks for the great imput! :)

Where in NY? You might be close to Edison, NJ for the ENOCH convention and I think David Hazell is a main speaker this year.

Carolyn

Unfortunately, MFW is not at any conventions in NY. :( Though when visiting my parents in TX last year and attending their convention, I happened to stumble across the MFW catalog after taking one of their classes (How to keep young ones entertained while schooling-lol), and it wasn't until I got home and stated looking through the different catalogs that the MFW jumped out at me and it was quite clear that that was the direction the Lord was leading us. Now several people in our co-op use HOD and so I got a catalog (my downfall) and it looks equally as wonderful. But THANK YOU for your reply, it is exactly what I needed to hear and the efficiency of MFW is one of the reasons we started it in the first place! You just can't beat the simplicity of the "5 year cycle" with a large family. We loved MFW this year and I need to remind myself, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Ha! Thanks again!!

onebusymomof5 & jen5253,

I'm looking at switching between HOD and MFW as well for the early years. We're finishing up LHFHG and moving over to do MFW K this year, possibly followed by MFW 1st and then, well, we'll see. We've really enjoyed LHFHG, even my 3yo dd, but ds isn't ready for Beyond, even if we slowed it down. MFW K looks fun for both of them, with a phonics review for ds and an intro for dd, and lots of science activities. We may then be ready to go through the bible again in MFW 1st. I kind of wish I'd found MFW K to do before LHFHG, because ds would have enjoyed the activities last year as well, but it was a bit early for some of the LHFHG history at first.

onebusymomof5 & jen5253,

I'm looking at switching between HOD and MFW as well for the early years. We're finishing up LHFHG and moving over to do MFW K this year, possibly followed by MFW 1st and then, well, we'll see. We've really enjoyed LHFHG, even my 3yo dd, but ds isn't ready for Beyond, even if we slowed it down. MFW K looks fun for both of them, with a phonics review for ds and an intro for dd, and lots of science activities. We may then be ready to go through the bible again in MFW 1st. I kind of wish I'd found MFW K to do before LHFHG, because ds would have enjoyed the activities last year as well, but it was a bit early for some of the LHFHG history at first.

Just curious... I'm looking at your son's age and wondering if he isn't ready for MFW 1st grade? K is a great program... lots of fun and interesting things to do there, but I'd hate for you to put him in K and then be disappointed if you find out it's too easy. Some folks use K as a preschool program for their kids who are ready at age 4. Mine wasn't. My oldest would've been, but not my younger two.

If you haven't already, go to this page and click on the Introduction link. Then scroll down to point #8 to see if that sounds like he's ready for the 1st grade program or not. http://www.mfwbooks.com/1st_sample.htm

Maybe your son isn't there yet, I don't know. My youngest dd wasn't at age 5.5, so maybe not. Not even at age 6 (speech and language learning problems).

If you don't mind taking 26 weeks to lay a good foundation, have fun, and solidify all those cvc sounds, then K might be a good way to go, too. :) Once you get past the review lessons in the 1st grade program, it picks up speed.

And if you've already thought through all this, then just ignore me. :tongue_smilie:

I know. It's ridiculous. I think I'm going to do Adventures with my little guy.

:lol:

Well, sometimes I think we're ALL a little bit ridiculous just for homeschooling. :lol: HOD and MFW both have their strengths, as you know. They're similar enough, and yet different enough, to make it a tough choice depending on the season we're in and the kid we're talking about. :)

I'm a mom of Ten kids and here's why I chose HOD over MFW. My fathers world yonger section k&1st & 2nd were seperate grades that I would have to teach where HOD I could combine my younger ones and then they could do their own age reading and math. But when some more of mine are in school and past the learning to read I want to do MFW to combine but I like HOD because I can combine the younger grades.

I'm a mom of Ten kids and here's why I chose HOD over MFW. My fathers world yonger section k&1st & 2nd were seperate grades that I would have to teach where HOD I could combine my younger ones and then they could do their own age reading and math. But when some more of mine are in school and past the learning to read I want to do MFW to combine but I like HOD because I can combine the younger grades.

Hhmm, curious... How does this work? The reason MFW K and 1st are "separate grades" is because of the reading/phonics and math level. These are learn-to-read programs BUT they include Bible/history and science, too, so those parts can easily be combined (which would be no different than HOD). And you can get separate student materials if you're teaching more than one. Every kid at any age, no matter what program you're talking about, will need their own level of math and LA, so I'm not sure how this is different than any other year?

Not arguing... just trying to understand your thinking on this. There are posts on the MFW boards explaining how to combine kids in K and 1st grade.... (for others who are wondering). I don't have any kids that close together, so it doesn't apply to me personally at all, but I'm curious.

Edited by Donna A.

Just throwing in my 2 cents here! I have used MFW K and 1st and tried to use ECC. I love MFW K for my dd4...it wasn't my ds7's cup of tea when he was 5. Ah well...they are all different. Me? I LOVE MFW K. Great, thorough program but the only con 'might' be that each week uses the SAME worksheets and could easily bore a child who yearns for more of a variety. Personally, I think it was beneficial b/c my dd quickly got into the swing of things and could do the worksheets mostly indenpendently.

We are slowly going through 1st and so far, I am impressed. Ds7 is finally mature enough to work through it.

ECC, I do hate to say, did NOT work for our family. It was slow moving. The geography worksheets bored my dc to tears. I thought I would enjoy the mission focus, but it just didn't "click" with us. But that is just our story...many really, really enjoy this year with MFW.

That being said, I am not one to throw the baby out with the bath water so....next year I have a high schooler coming home from a one year "trial period" in ps. She wants to come home. And, I am excited for her to do MFW AHL! That leaves my ds9, ds7 and dd5 (ages next year). I thought I might do MFW CtG along with MFW 1st with dd5. Well, then I looked at HOD Preparing and really like what I see. For us, this is going to work out perfectly. One year overview of World History for the boys and then we will move to CtG the next year when the boys are 10 and 8 and younger dd will be more able to join in a bit. More than you wanted to know, but just wanted to say that we are going to be another MFW/HOD household next year! I love both...it really is just personal preference and how it fits your particular ds/family, kwim?