Menu

AP Statistics w/PA Homeschoolers . . . questions

Hello all,

I am tentatively planning on enrolling my DD, a rising senior, in this class next year. I know that it is taught by our own Blue Hen here on this board, and I have heard tons of praise for the class over the past several years.

For those of you whose children have taken the class, could you estimate the weekly time your student spent on the AP Statistics class? (Obviously, Carole, you are welcome to chime in as well.;))

I am simply trying to balance DD's schedule for next year and am wondering if it might be too much to register for 2 AP classes (they would be AP Statistics and AP English Literature). In addition, she would probably have Functions, Statistics, and Trigonometry through Potter's School and an astronomy class through either Potter's School or Scholars Online. Possible the Potter's School Introduction to Business as well.

Thanks so much for your input! :)

My recollection is that in general it took my daughter about six to eight hours a week. She's very math capable but not particularly fond of it. (As to her background, she'd already had math through College Algebra and Trigonometry before taking the class.)

Regards,

Kareni

I've had kids in the class report to me on the time spent and it has ranged from 5 to 12 hrs/week. Some kids need the additional time to learn how to operate their graphing calculator or additional time working through the math concepts. I ask too because I don't want them spending hours upon hours on my course.

My son took AP Stat, AP Chem and AP English Composition all from PA HS'ers last year. He spent far more time on the English (~4-5 hrs/day) than the other two subjects combined even on their most time-demanding days. Yet I know several students who spent at most an hour/day on the AP Eng Comp course. It so depends upon our kids.

Carole

My math-oriented daughter spent at most 1 hour per day on PA Homeschooler's AP Statistics, as opposed to about 2-3 hours per day on their AP English Language class.

~Kathy

Thank you, Kathy! So your daughter did the English Language class as opposed to the English Lit class, correct? We were looking at the AP English Lit class with Mrs. Green.

By any chance, have any of your children taken AP English Lit with Mrs. Green who could provide a rough time estimate for that class as well? (I have seen the reviews of prior participants on the PA Homeschoolers website, so I do have that information.)