Menu

dd's interview today

Halftime Hope

bottom of the ninth, bases loaded and dd is up to bat...

She has a finalist interview with the state university's honors committee in 20 minutes.

Truly, I'm not so much concerned about the outcome for her, as I am that she would represent both her faith and homeschooling well when she is interviewed. The interviewers can't miss that her transcript and her resume (extracurriculars) have a lot of faith based study and work on them, nor that her course of study is very different from the norm--hello, WTM! :)

Please pray or send good thoughts for her to have wisdom, courage, and graciousness in her speech and bearing.

Thanks so much!

Sending good thoughts to your daughter!

My daughter (freshman in college) has an interview today for a summer job on campus (nothing related to her major). The job market here at home is tough for teens, and she was unable to find work here last summer so she's trying her luck there. It's clearly a day for interviews.

Regards,

Kareni

to you both Jet and Kareni.

She thought the interview went well. She was surprised when she walked in and there were 7 interviewers around the table. (She sat at the end.)

She said they had some questions about how dual credit had worked for her (21 hours at this same university), about homeschooling (she said it was a mixed bag: good, but that it was very hard work--she's pretty burned out right now), and they didn't ask anything about her faith at all.

She said her (honest) responses made them laugh several times, and she was happy about that as it kept things comfortable. She doesn't *look* at all like a bass guitarist, nor like someone who'd like more time to climb the rock wall at the student gym, nor like someone who'd like to learn to weld during her art courses. :)

Kareni, how about your dd's interview? Does she have news yet?

Edited by Valerie(TX)

Valerie,

Kudos to your daughter! It sounds as though her interview went well. (And frankly, I'd be weakened to walk into a room with seven interviewers!)

My daughter thought her interview went well though it was much, much more casual than your daughter's. She did say though that there are about forty applicants for five positions, so we're not exactly holding our breath. She hopes to know the outcome in about a week. Thanks for asking.

Regards,

Kareni

to you both Jet and Kareni.

She thought the interview went well. She was surprised when she walked in and there were 7 interviewers around the table. (She sat at the end.)

She said they had some questions about how dual credit had worked for her (21 hours at this same university), about homeschooling (she said it was a mixed bag: good, but that it was very hard work--she's pretty burned out right now), and they didn't ask anything about her faith at all.

She said her (honest) responses made them laugh several times, and she was happy about that as it kept things comfortable. She doesn't *look* at all like a bass guitarist, nor like someone who'd like more time to climb the rock wall at the student gym, nor like someone who'd like to learn to weld during her art courses. :)

Kareni, how about your dd's interview? Does she have news yet?

That is so wonderful! This made me smile, about welding and bass guitar and climbing! I love it when we defy stereotypes. When do you hear back?

Kareni! Not coming home for the summer? :confused: Will you be able to go see her? E was not able to find a job last summer, either. Things are bad here, too. It's concerning. I hope she gets the position, though!

Kareni! Not coming home for the summer? :confused: Will you be able to go see her? E was not able to find a job last summer, either. Things are bad here, too. It's concerning. I hope she gets the position, though!

If she does get the position, it would begin about ten days after summer break commences in which case we'd get to see her for that length of time. The word from today is that she should know by the 31st. We shall see.

And, yes, getting a summer job as a teen can be brutal. There is so much competition in our area due to laid off adults also being in the market. Unemployment here is well over 10%. Wishing E good fortune in finding a summer job, too.

Regards,

Kareni

If she does get the position, it would begin about ten days after summer break commences in which case we'd get to see her for that length of time. The word from today is that she should know by the 31st. We shall see.

And, yes, getting a summer job as a teen can be brutal. There is so much competition in our area due to laid off adults also being in the market. Unemployment here is well over 10%. Wishing E good fortune in finding a summer job, too.

Regards,

Kareni

Oh, good. You'll get to see her, even if she gets the job. That makes me feel better. :D And you, too, I'm sure!

Exactly the same situation here. Hard for kids to find work. Thanks for the kind wishes.

Thanks for praying and sending good thoughts/wishes our way.

She was among those chosen! I really didn't expect that, much less to know so soon! Yaay, girl!! (She was messing with me yesterday, reminding me that at one point I had said that it was such a long shot that I didn't know if it was worth the effort for her to write the very-difficult-topic essay that was required, given all the other deadlines on her plate that week.)

I guess God still wants this door open!

She was among those chosen! I really didn't expect that, much less to know so soon! Yaay, girl!!

Congratulations to your daughter, Valerie! That's exciting news indeed. (Is this the school she intends to attend, or does she still need to weigh other choices?)

Regards,

Kareni

Congratulations to your daughter, Valerie! That's exciting news indeed. (Is this the school she intends to attend, or does she still need to weigh other choices?)

Regards,

Kareni

It's an apple, and the other schools are oranges. :) IOW, she still has to consider her choices. It could go either way. Does she want to do the "apple choice" to have her savings intact for graduate work, or is the "orange choice", the perfect fit/field/location for undergrad, more important than the economics?

You know those state-run pre-paid tuition programs for college? If she were to choose the "have funding remaining for graduate work" option, I'd sure love to prepay her graduate tuition so that it would be safe/guaranteed, but I don't think such things even exist.

Hi --just wanted to add that in WA state we have the GET (guaranteed tuition program) and you can use it for graduate school or any other college if you want. My dd graduated from a service academy and was not able to use it there. So she still had the units available to use. (you're supposed to only store them until you're age 28) She is taking some online college courses through Purdue while she is working in the Air Force. (they are undergrad credits, so the AF won't help pay for them) She's supposed to be pursuing a graduate degree at some point, the AF pays a portion, and then she can use her GET to pay for the rest. The GET can be used to pay for books and room and board also. It pays for graduate school, but there is a limit per year of 120 units that you can use which is basically a little over the regular instate tuition. So, graduate school costs more, but it goes quicker, hopefully, so if you had 4 years saved up--and your masters took you two years, well then it would fund part of it, but then you would have extra left over, unless you could stretch it out. Hope this makes sense!

If you'd like to pre pay for graduate school (MS), I'd buy two years worth, it won't pay for everything, but you won't have anything left over.

The more the regular tuition goes up--the more the GET is worth. HTH

!

You know those state-run pre-paid tuition programs for college? If she were to choose the "have funding remaining for graduate work" option, I'd sure love to prepay her graduate tuition so that it would be safe/guaranteed, but I don't think such things even exist.

In the past I would have thought this was a good idea. Unfortunately, some of those state programs (Alabama, for example) may be going under. My children's grandparents did purchase the pre-paid tuition (which could be used for undergrad or grad school) for each of the grandchildren. Now, it is at real risk, and I fear that, in the best-case-scenario, we will only get what was originally invested in the program.:(

Val and Kareni! I'm sorry I missed this earlier!

Congratulations Val! Praying as you work to make some decisions...

Kareni...I do understand, we see that here too. :( When will you hear the final decision on the summer job? I wish your dd the best!

NancyL and momofgals, I appreciate your posts!

I'm not sure you can do that with seminary tuition, but I'll have to look into it. My concern is that we are heading for rampant inflation, and that money saved will be greatly devalued. I don't see how we possibly be headed anywhere else given the Fed's printing spree. (Too much historical precedent...)