Menu

what is the difference between Saxon 87 & Saxon Algebra 1/2???

Tanya in KS

A friend and I were looking at our next year's schedule and our daughters are the same age/grade. She will be using Saxon 1/2 while mine should be in Saxon 87. When looking at the summaries of the books BOTH are pre-algebra books. SOOO what is the difference? Can you skip 87 & simply do 1/2???:001_huh:

Thanks

Guest Canuckmom

I've got a son ready for this, too, so I've been looking into it. I don't remember where it was exactly, but I read on one review that the most recent edition of 8/7 was stronger than the newest edition of Algebra 1/2, but if you have access to the older editions, then the older Algebra 1/2 is better. I have only been able to personally compare the older editions of both, and I was going to go with the older Algebra 1/2 because it seemed to have more new information (rather than mostly review in the 8/7). I guess it depends on whether you have the budget for new or used curriculum. At least there is a solid option for either.

Hope this helps.

I was talking to an employee at our local homeschool consignment store yesterday about Saxon and she addressed this, as we are switching to Saxon (going into 7/6). She said that in her experience, the first 40 lessons of a Saxon book are heavy review and the last 40 tend to ramp up a lot in difficulty, particularly in 7/6. Her recommendation was that if my daughter found the last 40 lessons of 7/6 to be really heavy going, she would recommend going into 8/7 then do Algebra 1/2, but if she didn't have a lot of difficulty with it, it would be fine to go to Algebra 1/2.

I hope that might be helpful :001_smile:.

A friend and I were looking at our next year's schedule and our daughters are the same age/grade. She will be using Saxon 1/2 while mine should be in Saxon 87. When looking at the summaries of the books BOTH are pre-algebra books. SOOO what is the difference? Can you skip 87 & simply do 1/2???:001_huh:

Thanks

Are either of your dc currently using Math 76? With current editions, a child who zooms through Math 76 goes to Math 87, then Alg. 1. A child who struggles through Math 76 does Alg. ½, then Alg. 1. It was the opposite with earlier editions.

You have a homeschool consignment store? Im so jealous! I have to drive an hour and a half just to get to a walmart :glare:

We're very lucky. We have a homeschool store that carries new items and some used (has two locations and is happy to let you open and look at things), the homeschool consignment store and a number of used curricula sales each year.

Are either of your dc currently using Math 76? With current editions, a child who zooms through Math 76 goes to Math 87, then Alg. 1. A child who struggles through Math 76 does Alg. ½, then Alg. 1. It was the opposite with earlier editions.

To which editions of which are you referring? We're going to be using the 3rd edition of 7/6 because I found a good deal on it used and the folks at the homeschool store said that they didn't see any real difference in 3rd and 4th, plus that 7/6 was the only one currently offered in 4th edition.

The Saxon Homeschool website offers new (current):

6/5 3rd edition

7/6 4th edition

8/7 3rd edition

Algebra 1/2 3rd edition

Algebra 1 3rd edition

So I'm afraid "current" and "earlier" in this case aren't clear to someone like me who is new to the entire Saxon line.

Also, have any of you used the Saxon Teacher cds? Not the DIVE ones, I don't really want a religion-specific math product.

Edited by KarenNC

I was talking to an employee at our local homeschool consignment store yesterday about Saxon and she addressed this, as we are switching to Saxon (going into 7/6). She said that in her experience, the first 40 lessons of a Saxon book are heavy review and the last 40 tend to ramp up a lot in difficulty, particularly in 7/6. Her recommendation was that if my daughter found the last 40 lessons of 7/6 to be really heavy going, she would recommend going into 8/7 then do Algebra 1/2, but if she didn't have a lot of difficulty with it, it would be fine to go to Algebra 1/2.

I hope that might be helpful :001_smile:.

This would apply for the older editions (i.e. 2nd edition 8/7 and Alg 1/2). With the 3rd edition, 8/7 is the stronger prealgebra book as Ellie states below.

If you're done with Saxon 7/6, do Saxon 8/7. If your child is ready for Algebra 1, you don't have to do Algebra 1/2. Algebra 1/2 is for those who are not ready to move on to Algebra 1 or need more exposure and practice to prealgebra.

I've got a dc doing Algebra 1/2. She is going from another curriculum into Saxon and needed some review before Algebra 1. A local homeschool "guru" (dear lady with 8 homeschooled dc, 5 of which have successfully finished college), told me 87 is a "walk along the trail stopping to smell the flowers" and 1/2 is a "sprint to the end of the trail". I chose 1/2 because we needed some review, but not a huge amount. It is challenging however. My youngest will do 76 next year in 6th grade and 87 in 7th grade. My intent is to then go to Algebra 1. But, if she needs more review, I'll have 1/2 in the wings waiting.

Another IRL gf said she used 1/2 for her very math oriented son following 76 then went into Algebra 1. But, she chose 87 following 76 for her more "artsy language oriented" dc, then went directly into Algebra 1.

My take on it is that it depends on your dc. I wish I had used Saxon from the beginning with my oldest and did 87 rather than 1/2. But, this way is working okay too.