Menu

I'm thinking seriously about selling my cello.

I was devoted to it during high school and college, but I haven't played in about 15 years. My callouses have all disappeared, so if I try to play it now, I get sore or even bleeding fingertips. I spent so many hours in orchestra rehearsal that I can't even stand to listen to classical music. My priorities have changed. To stay proficient, I'd have to practice several hours every day, and that just isn't going to happen. I just can't ever imagine picking it back up. And my children are pursuing voice instead of instrumentals (YAY!).

The cello is worth several thousand dollars, but if I sell it, I want to put it towards something else special -- not just let it get absorbed into the general bill-paying. I'm not sure what, exactly. Maybe I'd put it into a special account to make sure that each of the kids could take several years worth of private voice lessons. (You know, trade one musical treasure for another.)

But I don't know... an instrument is such a personal thing. It's like selling a child. Yet... I really don't want to play it anymore.

What would you do?

Yes, especially since with our current budget, voice lessons are going to be difficult. At least for a few years, anyway. And NOW is when the kids need them.

Actually, Katherine, most voice teachers will not teach kids before high school (maybe junior high). It can be hard on their vocal chords before they are fully developed. So, you still have time.

Okay, that's good to know. At their school, they have voice lessons available during choir starting in 6th grade. So I guess we switched to public school just at the right time! We couldn't afford it this year, but it occured to me that I could sell the cello and be able to get them lessons for quite a while.

Both my older kids are crazy about choir, and my daughter especially has an absolutely LOVELY voice. (Ds is still bouncing back and forth from tenor to bass, but I think it will settle into bass very soon.)

Noooooo!! Don't sell it!!

I didn't play violin for almost 15 years after college, but picked it back up 6 years ago. I now play regularly at church, in community musicals, and even get paid gigs from time to time, like weddings. I LOVE playing again, love getting to play trios and quartets with other good amateurs, love getting to hold my own with union musicians!

Our church has a small orchestra filled with people who used to play in high school -- we range in age from 24 to almost 80 and we have a blast together. You may find a similar group, if not this year, then maybe in the next 5 or 10 years. The callouses will rebuild, and your love of music will make up for the frustration of having stiff fingers!

I'm so glad I didn't sell my violin -- I thought those same thoughts about selling it. Your string instrument is especially like a child -- more so than a piano, more so than a wind instrument (my friends in the wind section frequently are getting new instruments, cheating on their old ones without a second thought!)

Don't do it!! I'll fly to Texas and play duets with you!!

Don't sell it. You never know how you will feel in 5, 10 or 15 years! Or your children may one day show an interest b/c you once did.

I hadn't played the piano since high school. It's at my mom's. I finally wanted it this past year. I gave up trying to find someone to move it up here for me and went and bought a used one. now i am playing every other day for hours and loving it.

hang on to it. I played cello in elementary and middle school but always rented. I wish I had bought one...even though it would have been decades before I could play again.

you never know how you will feel in the future...

Another thing to keep in mind, on a higher level some teachers have trouble teaching kids who do not have an instrumental skills. I know some who will not teach without at least a year of piano. It's hard to learn your part independently if you cannot plunk it out yourself on some instrument somewhere unless you are a fabulous sight reader. At higher levels they will not be plunking parts for the kids.

That's not to say if it's just for fun as a child it will matter. Most choir directors will give out anything from accompaniment tapes to part working in the class. I'm only cautioning if they choose to go into college or an advanced private instructor/professional world.