Menu

Anyone with a dd or ds at Rose-Hulman?

Susann

My dd received her financial aid package from RH today. She fell in love with the school but knew it was a very, very, long shot financially. We were surprised at what was offered. She would be able to graduate debt free from Purdue but would prefer a smaller school. She'll be studying computer engineering and their reputation is excellent. Anyone:bigear:

could you elaborate a bit? Surprised in a good way or in a bad way? From your post it sounds like an unhappy surprise, but I wan't sure.

My current senior is at the opposite end of the spectrum from engineering, but my dear friend's dd wants to go into aero engr. Her credentials are truly amazing. :) Some of the private school offers have been abs wonderful, others have been dismal. The best state program was an unpleasant surprise as well, as all homeschoolers are arbitrarily classified as top 25% of their "class" which automatically disqualifies them from the highest scholarship level. The range of offers has been the biggest surprise.

BTW, I was third generation at a private LAC. We didn't even have my dd apply there, even though she now has two full-tuition offers from other schools, b/c my alma mater's lovely merit aid policy would have only offered about a 10% scholarship and their cost is very high.

?? Not sure whether to send high fives or commiserate.

Hope it was a pleasant surprise. But assuming "debt free" at Purdue means not what you hoped at Rose - sigh.

DS is still looking for his package though he was on campus this past weekend for an internship interview. He did hear yesterday that he didn't get the internship and will be getting a token scholarship instead. DS is like your daughter - in love with the school which was reaffirmed during his recent weekend but it is an impossible financial stretch for us too. He was told by several students that you "have to embrace the debt." I don't know if we could embrace it with better financial/scholarship offers on the table.

Hugs - I am all ears on this thread too.

Susie

Sorry, ValerieTX, that I wasn't clear but it was a good surprise. She's been offered basically tuition at all the other schools but we knew that wasn't even a possibility at RH. Susie-knits, I'm sorry your ds didn't get the intership but, wow, what a great opportunity to interview for. We had been told about the debt load also but were hoping to avoid it altogether which she would at other schools. Any suggestions on how to approach the school about the possibility of more scholarship money? What was offered was still about $12,000 over our EFC. How do/did you decide if you allowed you kids to go into debt for a degree or even just decide which school to choose? Susie-knits, is your ds leaning towards Valpo? What did you/he think of Evansville?

I would just call financial aid and talk with them. Wouldn't hesitate to tell them the other scholarships she has available too. Worse case, they say no more money. When I looked at their common data set from last year, the average need met was 88%

It was an honor to be considered for the internship - hope I didn't sound otherwise in previous post. He was one of 16 students invited to compete for it. Since he hasn't received his package, he is still dreaming of Rose. I feel so stressed right now ... for him and I can tell that he too is feeling stressed.

Yes, Valpo and Uof Evansville (along with TN Tech) are his other schools. He has good scholarships at these schools - workable situations for us. But since we do not have all the final packages, he is not ready to pick.

His package arrived today. My head spinning with the numbers. Guess I will be calling this week at least to make sure I fully understand the offer.

Still have UofE final pkg outstanding (will be mailed on Monday) though we already know of academic scholarship plus results of the engineering scholarship day.

Guess this next month will be full of pondering, fretting, and general mulling over the big decison.

PM me if you want to talk,

Susie

Edited by Susie-Knits