Menu

Anyone using Classic Science - Mr Q?

kindermommy

http://www.eequalsmcq.com/classicsciinfo.htm

I've been looking at the Life Science curriculum for a few days now (free online - the subsequent books are not free though) and it looks really easy, fun and comprehensive. But I rarely hear anyone talk about it. Is it because it is relatively new, or is my initial impression of the quality of it wrong? Anyone using it or at least looked at it extensively?

Just curious :)

We have been using it as a small family co-op for a couple of years now. I love the fact that the author doesn't dumb down the information. My ds could take or leave the worksheets. Even if they are crossword puzzles and word searches.

IMHO I think the 2nd year Earth science spent too little time on space and too much time on weather. The other thing I am not fond of is a lack of visuals. I like the cartoons, but I would like some visuals that go along with the chapter better. We use Brain Pop videos to supplement the reading.

I heard he is working on the next set of science books. I look forward to using those as well. :001_smile:

We've been using the Life Science this year as well, also with a small family coop. It's been nice to tie everything together. My dd could also take or leave the worksheets, but it's nice to have them, because I do think it helps her read the text more carefully. I've been happy with it.

IMHO I think the 2nd year Earth science spent too little time on space and too much time on weather. The other thing I am not fond of is a lack of visuals. I like the cartoons, but I would like some visuals that go along with the chapter better. We use Brain Pop videos to supplement the reading.

Very interesting. I've been frustrated that the sample of Earth Science on the website doesn't include the TOC - there's a list of units, but it seems to be missing two, and I have no idea what "earth's spheres" and "earth's misconceptions" could possibly be referring to.

I'm trying to decide whether to use Mr. Q or maybe PH Science Explorer as a text for Earth Science next year. I'd like to concentrate on Tectonics, Rocks & Minerals, Oceanography, maybe some Astronomy. I'm not sure if the topics in the Mr. Q line up well enough from the limited TOC info. Is there any Oceanography at all?

I'm doing Life Science with my son. I'm very pleased with the depth of the material--I feel like he's really learning science. For him, the larger font size and funny pictures are a big deal too, though it may not make any difference to some kids. (My ds won't read regular size font or books without pics.) For some chapters, I really like the extra activities, but I find that overall it doesn't have enough true experiments for us. So sometimes I skip the Mr. Q experiments/activities and supplement with a Janice van Cleaves experiment that is relevant.

I'm doing Life Science with my son. I'm very pleased with the depth of the material--I feel like he's really learning science. For him, the larger font size and funny pictures are a big deal too, though it may not make any difference to some kids. (My ds won't read regular size font or books without pics.) For some chapters, I really like the extra activities, but I find that overall it doesn't have enough true experiments for us. So sometimes I skip the Mr. Q experiments/activities and supplement with a Janice van Cleaves experiment that is relevant.

I actually find the larger font, funny pictures and changing format are a big deal for ME too. Maybe it's a learning style issue? I get lost on the page when there is not a visual buffet or variety ;)

Good to know about the experiments.

I think DD will be happy to do Science AT ALL. We bought Winterpromise AW at the beginning of the school year and have done very very little from it. I can't stand reading "snippets" from 3 or 4 books in one "lesson". And while she LOVES animals and they ARE Science, she would be happy just to read stories about animals. I also think what she really wants/needs are experiments or varied topics. OR maybe that's what *I* need :001_smile:

we're using the chemistry this year and are very satisfied with it. i plan on using the physics next year in a small group setting.

i hadn't heard he's working on another set! that's fabulous news. is he working on another level or expanding the current series?

From what I gather it is the next level of science. It will be very interesting to see what that looks like.