Menu

Math mammoth - Blue Series, or Light Blue??

diaperjoys

Are you using it as your main curriculum or to supplement another program?

This year it will be a supplement for our 2nd grader. Next year...who knows? Probably supplement, but possibly core. It kind of depends on what the younger siblings do best with; our oldest needs spiral at the core, and I can't say yet about the next 3 siblings...

As a supplement, I'd get the Blue books and do the specific topics you want to supplement.

For a main curriculum, I personally prefer the Light Blue because all of the "extra" topics, like money/time/geometry/measurement, are already mixed in and I don't have to decide which parts of the Money blue book to mix into MM2 and which to save for MM3, etc.

MM is currently 30% off at Homeschool Buyers Coop:

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/math-mammoth/

Jackie

As a supplement, I'd get the Blue books and do the specific topics you want to supplement.

For a main curriculum, I personally prefer the Light Blue because all of the "extra" topics, like money/time/geometry/measurement, are already mixed in and I don't have to decide which parts of the Money blue book to mix into MM2 and which to save for MM3, etc.

Jackie

We are using MM to supplement MUS for my DS. I went ahead and got the Light Blue because I wanted him to be exposed to all the different topics as we went along. I also felt like if he hit something in MM that we hadn't touched on for awhile in MUS it would be good review and vice versa.

Like Jackie said, it is also easier to keep track of instead of figuring out how far to go in various blue books and what you would need to save for the next year!

:iagree: We're doing Light Blue and I think it's much easier to just have it all there in order than to try to do topics piecemeal. Even done as a supplement, the worksheets as written in the Light Blue would not be too overbearing. I do the Light Blue as a supplement with both dc and they love it!

Don't forget that link above for HS Buyer's co-op; it is the best deal you can possibly get!!!

I have been asking myself this same question, and have decided to go with the Blue series. My intention is that we'll move through a thread until we hit a wall, then move onto another thread until we hit a wall there, then onto another, etc. Along the way we'll pull from other threads as a review, so that we have one topic ongoing as new learning material, and a couple others as daily review. Basically, I'm going to borrow from the Math on the Level 5-a-day approach, but using MM materials. (At least, this is what I came away with reading the MotL website; I really don't know if this is an accurate description of how they do things, or simply what was inspired in me on reading. Either way, it makes sense in my head right now so we're going to try it! ;) )

I really like this idea, and I think it will be a better fit for us than focusing on grade level; if we're grooving on a subject and want to go deeper, I want to jump ahead and keep up the momentum! I also want to easily jump to the proper placement on a topic rather than working through the grade level materials. So, I think this will be a great thing for my math-loving daughter.

All that said, we do have the Light Blue grade 2 books and I really like the program. I think it's laid out extremely well, and is very easy to follow.

Jackie

okay, do I spend $80 to get the entire light blue series on disk, or only $15 to get us started with 2nd grade? UGH! Does the disk include the answer keys and comulative reviews? (Which are separate if you buy a printed version?) Will I get those for the $15 download price? WAH! IDK what to do! Help! Edited by Lovedtodeath

okay, do I spend $80 to get the light blue series, or only $15 to get us started UGH! Does it include the answer keys and comulative reviews? (Which are separate if you buy a printed version?) Will I get those for the $15 download price? WAH! IDK what to do! Help!

If you're not sure if you'll use it, I would suggest spending the $15 and trying it. You would miss out on the larger HSBC discount right now, but I think they have a 20% off discount normally, so you can always get some form of a deal on the full package.

If you already know you like it and are (relatively) sure you'll use it for a while, then I'd go with the deal. It's a good one!

Carmen-it's not $80-if you go to the "Group Buy" section and search for MM, you can currently get the WHOLE Light Blue Series-Yes, Grades 1-6!!-for $56!!! If more people buy it, and there is all the way to the end of the month to do so, the price will then go down to $48. I am thinking that will happen because it is only the 12th of the month now, and 30 people have already bought it. They only need 20 more people to get the $48 price!! And have more than half the month to get them. Here is the link:

I actually already bought the 2nd grade, and I'm buying this group buy now too. So I will have a duplicate 2nd grade, and it is STILL dirt cheap!!!!!!

I would go ahead and get it, if you can. Even if you end up not using the whole thing, you can pull from it for extra practice sheets, etc. The mental math is explained so well. Dd10 has SUFFERED with math and now with MM she is finally getting it and light bulbs are coming on, and she enjoys it. :svengo: There are a TON of amazing links in there to great math game websites, etc. And it comes with a Softpak software program with customizable games for math AND LA-that alone is a great resource. Awesome program for an unbelievable price!

Edited by HappyGrace

Scroll down-the prices are in a box. I haven't bought it yet but am going to go on today to do it, so if you and I get it, we're already up to 32 people. Only 18 more people need to sign up by the end of the month and we'd get it for $48!

ETA: Sorry-these prices would be for Blue series. :blush: Light Blue series is currently $76.30. If we hit 50 people, it will be $65.40. For GRADES 1-6 for math!!! A 40 percent discount!!!

Edited by HappyGrace

Scroll down-the prices are in a box. I haven't bought it yet but am going to go on today to do it, so if you and I get it, we're already up to 32 people. Only 18 more people need to sign up by the end of the month and we'd get it for $48!

FYI, that's the blue series price, not the light blue series. The lowest price for the light blue will be $65.

Tracy-we do CLE and MM with dd10. It is a perfect fit. I do NOT try to line up topics and it is working great. I started dd way back in MM, so it is mostly review/reinforcement at this point. It is remediating her so well I can hardly believe it. It has been like a miracle around here, helping her get her love of math back.

I adore CLE, but she was getting rather formulaic in her thinking. The MM adds the mental math component that I want, but is much quicker to add in to our day than Singapore. I am currently doing SM and CLE with ds7 (plus some other stuff-he lives for math!), but he is loving dd's MM so much that I'm considering either switching to it for him or adding it in for next yr. It is really quick and easy as an add-in. We just do a page or two a day in addition to the CLE for dd. You would be able to finish in a year just by adding in a couple pages per day of MM to CLE (at least at the lower levels-not sure if it is any longer in the higher levels, but I don't believe so.) People say MM is great as a standalone program too, but I like CLE math so much I don't want to give it up so I do both. Very painless, and I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds!

Ask away if you have more questions! :)

Thank you HappyGrace! We have gone to CLE after trying SM and MUS. So far we LOVE IT! I do want to supplement but it seems like with SM I have to sit and walk dd through every. single. problem. She just does not get it otherwise. MM looks more understandable if that makes sense. Do you think that is true? Is MM as easy to implement as CLE?

I really want to help you guys get to 50 buyers.;) Dh has given me the go ahead but I have bought three 1st grade programs already this year so I'm a little nervous. Any dislikes?

MM looks more understandable if that makes sense. Do you think that is true? Is MM as easy to implement as CLE?

I haven't tried CLE to compare, but I will say that MM is very easy to implement. The instructions are right there on the page and are super easy to understand. My daughter (7 yrs old) usually does her MM work (2b) independantly, and only rarely asks for my help when she isn't 100% clear on what she's supposed to do. We're very happy with this program.

Tracy, MM is just as easy to implement as CLE. The instruction is to the child (or for a younger child you could read it to them if necessary.) The author has taken similar concepts to Singapore and put them in an easy-to-teach format. I also think MM presents things a little bit more incrementally than Singapore, so it's not as hard to grasp the concepts.

I do use Singapore 1b (and CLE)-we did the EB books and 1a first-with my very mathy younger guy. But the MM is much easier for me to teach-no switching back and forth between the HIG and the books, etc. I have 2a and 2b of Singapore here and it overwhelms me to look through it all for next year so we may switch him to CLE/MM-not sure yet.

Tracy, MM is just as easy to implement as CLE. The instruction is to the child (or for a younger child you could read it to them if necessary.) The author has taken similar concepts to Singapore and put them in an easy-to-teach format. I also think MM presents things a little bit more incrementally than Singapore, so it's not as hard to grasp the concepts.

I do use Singapore 1b (and CLE)-we did the EB books and 1a first-with my very mathy younger guy. But the MM is much easier for me to teach-no switching back and forth between the HIG and the books, etc. I have 2a and 2b of Singapore here and it overwhelms me to look through it all for next year so we may switch him to CLE/MM-not sure yet.

So good to hear!

I am in the same boat. Before my math dilemma began I went ahead and ordered SM 2 so I feel like I *should* use it. But MM is just looking so much better.

One more question: How are you handling the printing? Do you do it at home a little at a time or all at once or have it done somewhere?

One more question: How are you handling the printing? Do you do it at home a little at a time or all at once or have it done somewhere?

I keep all the lessons in a math binder, with a printed copy of the ToC in the front. I print out about a month's worth of lessons at a time, hole punch them, and put them in the binder behind a divider. Each day I take the lesson from behind the divider, and when it's finished, it goes directly in front of the divider and I mark the lesson completed (with the date and any notes) on the TOC. It makes it very easy to see at a glance what topics come next, what topics were easy and which were struggles, how many lessons are left for the month/semester/year, etc.

Jackie

So far I have just been printing pages out as I need them, a few days' worth at a time, and that has been working out very well.

I print them out on the "fast/economical" mode of my printer. They come out a little lighter but the colors, etc., are still there and it doesn't use as much ink.

I don't want to gush because it has only been about 20 minutes but this is exceeding my expectations. I bought Addition 1 and I am SO IMPRESSED. This is just so much more user friendly than SM (for me). Thank you for the hand holding.:001_smile:

Oh, Tracy, I'm so glad you like it! Isn't is amazing? Like I said, words cannot express what this program is doing for my dd. It has been an answer to prayer. She was so behind in math and couldn't understand the conceptual behind the numbers until we added in MM!

See what I mean, how MM takes the explanations that you have to dig out of the Singapore HIG and teach to them and it puts them right there for the student? Isn't that great?

It is so much more pick-it-up-and-go than Singapore.

(I needed the handholding from people using the program too before I bought it!)

I am still thinking. I could get the blue series for considerably less than the light blue... would it include all of the same info?

Almost. This is from the MM website:

Do the Blue and Light Blue have the same material?

Nearly so. Comparing with the Light Blue grade levels 1-5, there are only a few minor differences: there are a few lessons here and there that are in one series but not in the other. The Light Blue 5th grade has some material that is currently (2010) not in any of the Blue Series books (statistics, percent, and integers).

Also, the Light Blue series will include 6A, which by itself costs $15. The difference in price between Blue & Light Blue is only $20, and it probably does include $20-worth more material (plus IMHO it's easier to use).

Jackie

So... what is the difference then? Is the blue mastery and the light blue spiral, or is the light blue still considered mastery...

Most of the actual lesson pages are identical ~ just organized differently. The Light Blue books integrate all of the topics for that grade level in one place so, for example, the 2nd-grade-level lessons on time, money, measurement, geometry, etc. are incorporated into the Light Blue 2A & B books.

With the Blue Books, many of the topic books cover multiple grades so you will have to decide for yourself which lessons from the time/money/measurement books to give to a 1st grader, which to save for 2nd grade, etc., as well as when to add them in. You could do one lesson/wk from those books, or do one week/month, or whatever. Some people like that flexibility, but for me it's much easier to just give a child the next lesson in 2A (or whatever), rather than trying to integrate lessons from multiple books.

ETA: The Light Blue books are like Singapore, in that the child would do 2A & 2B in 2nd grade, 3A/B in 3rd, etc., and all the appropriate topics are included. The Blue books are like the "Key to..." books, where each topic is taught separately, and you choose what order, how to divide them up, etc. I thought maybe that analogy would be helpful is imagining how you would teach it.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

Thank you all for being so helpful! I am seriously considering the Blue package. I am hoping the price goes down. I have to pay $5.50 extra for a disc. I don't have room to download all of that!:glare:

Can you download it and then burn it to a disc yourself? That'd save you money AND get it to you quicker :)

I'm watching this thread because I'm just not sure what to get!!! DS5 is doing 3rd grade math but DD4 is doing K so I will want it all since she will use it too. My problem is it seems the Blue series would be better for ds and the lt. blue would be better for dd :(

Can you download it and then burn it to a disc yourself? That'd save you money AND get it to you quicker :)

I'm watching this thread because I'm just not sure what to get!!! DS5 is doing 3rd grade math but DD4 is doing K so I will want it all since she will use it too. My problem is it seems the Blue series would be better for ds and the lt. blue would be better for dd :(

They have one offer that has BOTH on a CD. I am thinking that might be the thing to do, just for maximum flexibility in years going forward. Gives you room to easily change to make MM your main or your supplement.

blue - $59.50

light blue - $79.80

all inclusive - $110.60

Hi,

If your computer has a usb port on it you can get a flash drive from walmart for cheap and just download directly to that. The flash drive looks like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kingston-4GB-DataTraveler-112-USB-Flash-Drive-Berry/12960778

You can also take that drive to kinko's and they can print the books out for you.

Just a thought.

Penny

Anybody considering the gold/green? I don't have any littles(my kids are 3rd & 4th grade) so I don't need the younger levels. I was wondering if anyone has liked this program for the older elem/jr. high levels?

The Gold/Green series are just worksheets ~ there is no "teaching" or explanation on them, like in the Blue and Light Blue series. They are really meant to be used as supplements to a regular math program, when the student needs extra practice problems. (I think they were originally developed for tutoring situations.)

The Light Blue series covers 1st through 6th grade (6A will be out this month and 6B should be out this summer.) After that Maria recommends using a regular PreAlgebra textbook.

Jackie