Menu

Is it feasable to teach 3 children together in history?

I did this when they were young, but one child took a co-op class several years ago and it messed up our history rotation. I miss having everyone together. My oldest will start 9th grade next year; my other 2 (all boys) will be in 8th and 6th. I know I can teach them all ancients next year and choose literature on their own level, although I think we can all read the Illiad and maybe a few others aloud together. But is this a good idea as they get into high school? It means that the last four years of my middle child will be pretty strange - he'll start in the middle ages and end in ancients - and I like to have everything in neat, logical little boxes.

Has anyone successfully done this in high school? Any suggestions? Am I just asking for trouble?

I'm still looking for those neat, logical little boxes!

Sure it's doable. When my oldest was in high school, I kept next dd in the same time period even though there is 6.5 years between them. Dd is in 7th now doing ancients. Last one, a 1st grader, will actually be in a position to do the whole 4 yr. cycle 3 times if we want. Once the 7th grader has completed the 4 yr cycle in 10th, we probably won't start over with ancients in 11th. I'm envisioning something more like a history survey for review and a more intensive literature study. Possibly joint enrollment like her big brother did in 11th or 12th.

Some years we used TOG. Other years it was more free form. But the idea of doing more than one time period at a time was too much for me. I don't multitask well.

Mary

Well, my 9th grader is doing 19th century this year, 20th as a 10th and then ancients as an 11th which will put my 7th grader actually doing it the way you are supposed to. Who cares one way or another. I have to fit in a year of government and economics and I'm thinking my oldest will do that his 11th grade year and not do the ancient history again. I don't know. Boxes never seem to work around here.

Christine

Guest Cheryl Horton

Hello,

I have found this very feasible for us. But, what I did was use a high school curriculum (TRISMS) and started everyone with the ancients. Other than adjusting the literature selections by finding easier reads (such as the Iliad children's version) each child did the whole curriculum. That way, I was able to give them high school credit even at a young age and I let them work together. Then, for the younger ones, we are able to use the last couple of years of high school to work on non-history subjects because we have completed our history (as well as many other subjects). This worked great with my son who is a junior now and will have his senior year free to do post-secondary education and finish his hard math and sciences