Menu

Ohio homeschoolers who have used the portfolio option for evaluation. . .

I have a few questions about the logisitics of this.

1. How do you find a certified teacher to evaluate the portfolio?

2. Do you have to include samples of work from every subject required by Ohio law?

3. Do you meet with the teacher to review the portfolio, or do you submit the work to a teacher and receive it back later?

4. Does the teacher actually have to write a narrative about the child's progress or just sign a form stating that they have reviewed the portfolio and the child's progress is satisfactory?

5. Do teachers generally charge a fee for reviewing the portfolio. If so, how much?

Hi...last year was the first year we had to do this. We had my cousin take a look at the portfolio and I went through it with her. I gave her $25.

This year I will be going to a teacher here where we live now. She charges $35 I believe. I received a list of what she expects to see...she wants to see samples from each month or so in each of the required subjects, other examples of any writing done (letters), a list of books read or that you read aloud, pictures or programs from any outside activities or field trips, etc. I got her name and number through our local homeschool group. Do you have a group in your area? She also meets with the moms and goes over it with them, and gives tips on how to improve it for the next year. I'm not sure what kind of narrative she writes up, but I know that last year I just had my cousin sign the following...

"I hereby indicate that a portfolio of samples of "child's name" 's work has been reviewed and that "child's name" 's academic progress for the 2006-2007 school year is in accordance with his abilities."

Another Ohio homeschooling mom told me this was all that was necessary, and it was fine for us last year.

If this post is too confusing feel free to PM me with any questions! (I'm tired tonight!)

• 2 years later...

bump:001_smile:

I am submitting my 1st portfolio for review this week, and gandpsmommy worded my questions so well. (thanks-btw:D)

I am meeting with a teacher who has never done a HS eval before...I've never done this before...so any info on the OP's questions would greatly help!

I had this done last year. We paid $30 to a certified teacher that now homeschools her children. She gave me a list of what she wanted to see. I put it all together and it included samples of work from the beginning and the end of the year and an overview of what we had done. I included photos from field trips, a list of books read. I believe she also asked me to bring what book she was currently reading. We met for about an hour and discussed it all. All that is required is a signature basically as mentioned above. I know other certified teachers but I would only go to someone homeschool friendly.

I have a few questions about the logisitics of this.

1. How do you find a certified teacher to evaluate the portfolio?

2. Do you have to include samples of work from every subject required by Ohio law?

3. Do you meet with the teacher to review the portfolio, or do you submit the work to a teacher and receive it back later?

4. Does the teacher actually have to write a narrative about the child's progress or just sign a form stating that they have reviewed the portfolio and the child's progress is satisfactory?

5. Do teachers generally charge a fee for reviewing the portfolio. If so, how much?

1)I sent out an email to my county's homeschool yahoo group asking for a recommendation for a certified teacher to do our assessment. Several women that have helped me with questions gave recommendations.

I then contacted the recommended people and did an email interview to find out what each evaluator wanted to see, their philosophy and a feel for their personality.

2)All assessors are different in their requirements. I saved work samples from every required subject but also inquired as to what she wanted to see.

3) We met the the assessor and she reviewed the children's portfolios. She basically just looked through them to see what they had worked on during the year and if they were making progress. She also asked the children a few questions. They were simple questions like "Do you enjoy homeschooling?", "Do you like having your Mommy for a teacher?", "What is your favorite subject?" Again, each assessor is different, so it is best to find out what your selected teacher wants to see in advance.

4)The woman I selected was another homeschooling mom. She did not actually write a report. She simply signed a form stating that she had reviewed the children's work and they were working to their ability.

5) Yes, all the people that I have ever heard of charge a fee. They set their own fee. I have seen prices ranging from $25 to $45. Many of them offer a discount for multiple children.

I hope this information helps you some. Depending on where in Ohio you are located I may be able to give you some names and email addresses to contact.

Thank you! That helps.:001_smile:

I already have a cert teacher friend scheduled to do the assessment. She has never done one before, so she is asking me what she is supposed to do LOL. I don't want to put her in an awkward position, but I prefer having her do it simply b/c she knows ds7 somewhat well so I think that will make it easier for us both.

I have a binder full of samples of his work. I am going to bring along a few books to show her what we've done orally, and I will ask ds7 to read something to her. Anything else I should bring or do?

Generally, it's really informal. You just need to be able to show that you ARE educating your child.

What I do, and I got this advice from another mom is I have a sample of work, from each subject, for each quarter of the school year. This is so that you can see work is being done and that progress has been made.

My standard portfolio:

• 4 handwriting samples
  • 4 spelling tests
  • 4-8 Grammar/Writing samples/worksheets
  • Reading Log
  • 4-8 samples of math worksheets
  • 4 Science samples: photos of experiments or projects, worksheets, etc.
  • 4-8 Social Studies samples: This would include citizenship, Ohio history, American history, World history, and Geography. I include lists of movies or documentaries and audio books.
  • I include a summary of what we did for Music. If your child takes lessons you could include photos.
  • I include a summary of things we did for PE and include pictures if I have any.
  • I give samples of artwork the kids did and maybe a photo of them working on their art.
  • I include some pictures of field trips or classes out of the home if I have any. (I don't always remember the camera or remember to get pictures)

It's really pretty simple. Nothing to worry about. It might be a fun time for your child to brag about what he's done or learned this year.

Our assessor give's the kids a certificate of achievement which, being young, they get all excited over. That's something your friend might want to do.

Here's a copy of the form I found online. http://www.ohiohomeeducators.net/narrform.htm