Menu

Latin....decisions to make... need help please

Looking into next year....

We are BEHIND in Latin....according to WTM book.

My freshman is doing Christina Latina 1 and then will start on Christina Latina 2 this summer.

Decision making that I need to make are:

1) Follow the Henle Latin according to WTM.

2) utilize the local homeschool group that hires teachers....Here is what the description...

First Form Latin will be done in fall semester. 2nd form latin will be done in Spring semester. The texts will be using the Memoria Press materials...

http://www.memoriapress.com/descript...rst-latin.html

http://www.memoriapress.com/descript...ond-latin.html

After completion, teacher is offering to give Latin B National Exam in March.

I work a part time job (29 hours a week). How much time does Henle Latin take in "teaching" time?

Are the Memoria Press materials sufficient enough for a good latin education?

She is also offering Greek Myth and Roman History class that also will prepare students for Latin exam. However I think I can easily do this at home and through the NJCL (National Junior Classic League) which my son is involved in (my requirement!!)

Thanks!

Holly

First off, I wouldn't do LC2. I would start right with Henle or First Form. Dd, 13, is taking Henle online with MP, and is able to work independently after completing LC1, but not LC2. I would consider taking MP Henle as an alternative.

About the co-op option: Second Form is just being released for the upcoming school year, from my understanding. So if the co-op does FF and SF this upcoming year, they could not maintain that pace the following year, as only Third Form will likely be released (I assume, from their current schedule) that year.

How do you like the online Henle? Do I grade the stuff or does it get sent in to the teacher?

Holly

We like it a lot. It is a good fit for us. The parent needn't do anything. Grades are based on online quizes and tests. Homework is done at home, then corrected by the student. There is an online forum for questions, but it seems most of the students understand the material without having to ask a lot of questions. They use a study guide that gives day to day assignments, hints, etc.

Ok I looked at the paperwork again.

Latin 1 is First form 1st semester and 1/2 of 2nd form for 2nd semester.

Latin 2 is other 1/2 of 2nd form in 1st semester and 3rd form in 2nd semester.

I guess I didn't read that clearly.

Holly

eta I was posting at the same time Lawana did. Thank you Lawana. I will check out the online Henle MP course.

I would go straight into Henle. LC I-II would be way too simple. FF Latin is designed for middle school. Henle should not be too difficult for 9th grade with no Latin background. It uses a limited vocabulary and concentrates on grammar.

Is this for a son or daughter? My boys loved the Henle subject matter - mostly from Caesar's Gallic Wars. Lots of "Sunt corpora in flumine / There are bodies in the river" stuff. However, I could not do this all on my own. My two youngest are taking Henle online with Regina Coeli online next year. If you can't do an online course, maybe a coop is the next best option.

Good luck!