Menu

Should a second grader be able to spell...

Lovedtodeath

Random sampling of my first and third graders just now:

First grader can spell does but not eight.

Third grader can spell both.

The first grader is doing Sequential Spelling with the third grader so he is "ahead" in spelling curriculums and is doing mostly second grade work in general so may be considered a second grader. Don't know if that is helpful but that is what we have here at my house. :001_smile:

The level of phonics in the word "eight" is pretty high, *but* because it's a basic number, I *would* expect a 2nd grader to have worked on it. "Does" is also a challenging word to spell, but so commonly used that, again, I would expect a 2nd grader to have worked on it. That said, reading and spelling skills develop so differently in kids from K-3rd, that I wouldn't worry as long as she were making steady progress (and not showing signs of dyslexia -- and you certainly don't mention any signs here).

If someone makes a comment, I would just brush it off with some answer like, "Oh, she's made great progress! Still lots to learn, but I'm just so proud of how far she has come." Insert big smile. ;)

My daughter is toward the end of her third grade year, and can spell does and eight, but she does repeatedly spell "goes" wrong. She spells it gose, like hose. I think it is just quirky, and I can see the logic in it, so I don't worry too much.

I would be more concerned about people who feel that it is okay to comment on your little girl's spelling skills. Who are these people? I get a little defensive about things like that. My youngest was born with a strawberry birthmark above her left eyebrow, and strangers used to walk up to me in the grocery store and say, "what happened to your baby's head?"

Appalling.

Hi,

I wouldn't worry about it. If I come across words my daughter can't spell (that I feel she should be able too), we simply add it to her list of spelling words, ykwim? For example, my little girl couldn't spell "pretty" and in my opinion, that's a word she should easily be able to spell. I added it to her list, and the problem was solved. No worries.

Susan

If it makes you feel better, people comment on my lack of spelling prowess all the time ;) Tell Emily she's not alone.

All the same, it takes time and some words just will not stick until they've been ground into someone's head. We keep track of Andrew's trouble words and he writes them three times each the first time they're wrong on his test and then one more time each progressive week, until he finally gets them down pat (so week 1 he writes it 3x, wk 2 4x, wk3 5x etc).

Teach her to spell something super hard sounding, but easy and whenever they try to quiz her just have her pull out that word. It's what my sister's done for my nephew. ;) He like to spell interstellar (I hope I spelled that right).

I would WANT a 1st grader, by this time of year, to be able to spell them. However, though most 1st graders probably can, I don't think it means much if there are a handful of such works a 2nd grader can't. By this time next year is a different story though.

How consistent has phonics and/or spelling instruction been? That probably says more at this point. Even if you just do a 5 minutes per day, make sure that is one aspect of your homeschooling that gets done daily.

BTW, both my kids were HORRID spellers until they were teens. We used sequential spelling at that point. But it was probably the online multi-player games, FB, and texting that made the most difference. They didn't want to look uneducated like so many people do on those things.

My 8yo 2nd grade boy wouldn't be able to do it. He would spell eight as ate. He'd probably spell does as dus. Doesn't matter how much phonics we've learned or how well he reads (4th grade), he just isn't there with the spelling yet.

My daughter would have had no problem spelling them but that is just the difference in children.

My first grader can spell does but not eight. I am sure that he will be able to spell eight by next year. I agree that all children are different. I wouldn’t worry about what other people say about my children's progress. It’s really none of their business.

If it's family, try pointing out all the positive things that Emily can do...

For my 2nd grader, I would expect her to spell "does" since we have covered that, but I am sure she would not be able to spell "eight." We haven't covered that word, and she hasn't found a need to write it yet. Next week after her birthday, though, I'm guessing she'll find a need to write it. :D

I wouldn't worry, particularly if those aren't words you have covered. Spelling is a lifelong endeavor.

My 8 yo 2nd grader would definitely not be able to spell either of those. He is a voracious reader, had 3 levels of phonics and 2 years of phonics based spelling.

He just spelled "like" as: "liyc"

My K'er hollered over her shoulder while she was crafting something:"it's L-I-K-E".

So personally I would be very impressed if any 2nd grader could spell eight. And that's not taking into account varying degrees of natural ability.

(I am finally starting AVKO spelling with my ds in June.)

:)

Personally if they can't read very well why worry about spelling? But, that's me. My son, who is second grade, is still not reading very well and still in public school they are pushing the spelling. It infuriates me because he gets so frustrated. Most of the words he just memorizes so he can get a good grade on his spelling. I will be glad to bring him home next year.

He just spelled "like" as: "liyc"

My K'er hollered over her shoulder while she was crafting something:"it's L-I-K-E".

Unfortunately, this happens all the time here too...only my older is a 5th grader and my younger is a 1st grader. Many, many times, my 5th grader can't spell a word (he is just a horrible speller...no way around it. He got it after his dad, I think. I was a natural speller and so is my younger son) and my 6 year old will laugh and proceed to spell the word. Of course, my 6 year old spelled United pretty fast and then was able to go on and spell "world, flood, and ruler" - so I do think he is a natural speller. Thank God. One struggling speller is about all I could handle!!!:tongue_smilie:

Totally an individual child kind of thing.

The great thing about homeschooling is we don't have to compare apples to oranges... just because all kids somewhat look the same.. they are not the same. Think about it this way, apples are close to spheres and oranges are close to spheres.... but both are completely different, even though our children all have the same basic shape, they are all different.

We have 4 daughters. Three are excellent spellers; our oldest however spells horribly. To put your mind at ease, I can tell you my oldest is ranked in the top 3% out of 700 students as a junior (our younger two homeschool). She still mixes up words such their and they're. I'm not purposely bragging - just giving you some perspective. Your child could still turn out to be an excellent speller, but bottom line is that they all have strengths and all have weaknesses. Fortunately, with homeschooling you can tailor school to your child's needs. I've actually had two adults begin quizzing my younger two when they found out they homeschool. There are some interesting people in the world.

Given that the verb to do is one of the most common and one of the basic verbs in any language, yes, I would expect its forms (do, does, did, doing, done) spelled correctly by a second grader. Regarding numbers, I guess I would also expect them spelled correctly most of the time (at least 1-10, which are the basic numbers) by that age.

Of course, it varies from child to child. My younger one misspelled 17 in Italian (diciassette) up until she was about 10, she would ALWAYS write it with a single S (it's like writing mispell instead of misspell, that kind of mistake), even though the "doubling" of letters in other compound words "clicked" to her. And of course, if anyone saw her misspelling that at the age of 9-10, they would have told me I had an illiterate child, but on the long run, it really wasn't a tragedy. So I guess your situation also isn't. Work on it continually and give her time, it will click at some point.

Thank you. It is not a matter of her being a bad speller. It is a matter of sight words being a disaster when we first tried them, and then using a very slow moving rules/phonics based spelling.

Switching curriculums has us currently behind in spelling and math. It is only by a couple of months, and I am sure we will shortly get up to speed and then some.

Thank you. It is not a matter of her being a bad speller. It is a matter of sight words being a disaster when we first tried them, and then using a very slow moving rules/phonics based spelling.

Switching curriculums has us currently behind in spelling and math. It is only by a couple of months, and I am sure we will shortly get up to speed and then some.

Yes, no worries, you will recover from switching curriculums. As long as you keep going forward, it should be fine.

(AAS does seem slow)

Some children learn best with a blend of phonics and sight words, it's always advisable to use a phonics program- no matter what. Glad it's working out for you!

Yes, no worries, you will recover from switching curriculums. As long as you keep going forward, it should be fine.

(AAS does seem slow)

Some children learn best with a blend of phonics and sight words, it's always advisable to use a phonics program- no matter what. Glad it's working out for you!

:grouphug:Thank you. I really wasn't worried about it myself. If I wanted her to learn everything in the same way as kids in PS I could put her in K12. Then my BF brags on how much her DD is learning in PS, and people in my family are concerned about Emily being behind... it is really getting to me. :o Edited by Lovedtodeath

No.

And evidently, not United, either! My secretary in training took down my husband's flight number and airline while I was in the bathroom today, the airline was "untied."

I haven't taught many irregular words yet.

Thanks for responding! Your opinion means a lot to me.

Coming in alittle late here, but I know that my dd can't spell those two words. In fact up until a week ago, she spelled said-saed. It was a real eye opener for me when I realized that even though we did all the phonics and she was reading great, she can't spell! I think part of that is my fault because we have switched curricula 4 times in the last year and a half. This time I'm determined to stick with one for the long haul. Just wanted to say, keep your chin up, your not alone!