Menu

Would someone talk to me about Apologia Biology Labs?

I'm contemplating this for dd's 9th grade yr. She absolutely DOES NOT want to dissect. We've never used Apologia before, and we've not done tons of science, although she scored really well in the ITBS science section. How are the labs set up in the Apologia book? Can you skip some of them? Would Abeka biology be a better choice? She is more than likely going to an art school, so needing lots of science isn't a priority for her. I just don't know what to do. Any help would be great.

but I know others don't. She was not a science kid, but found out she does like biology. We have been extremely happy with Apologia.

I could be wrong here, but from what I understand, I think regardless of college path career, you do need 2 science labs to graduate in most states, and for collge acceptance. You should check the web sites of the colleges she is thinking of before deciding not to do labs. I am not sure that art school would be different.

The Apologia labs- many are "not required" There are only a total of four disections. An earthworm, a frog, a crayfish and a fish.

Apologia sells a kit that comes with all the tools and animals for a very resonable price. All the other lab work aside form the 4 disections are just microscope work or very simple experiments...leave a piece of bread and fruit out for a few days, DNA extraction with vinegar, etc.

We are in module 11 out of 16, so if you need more info let me know.

you can find some (or all) of them on youtube. We do our labs this year with a group so I ony had to teach one module. The first person to do dissections, sent a youtube link and asked that the kids watch it before lab.

But like the pp said, check to see how many labs you need before you cut them out entirely. I do have a friend who didn't do the bio labs at all but is doing them chemistry labs with her son. He did bio, just no labs.

This really helps. I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my questions. She has no problem doing labs, other than the dissection ones. If we skipped those and did the rest, would you still count it as a "lab" based science course? Also, for a student that hasn't done lots of formal science, is biology an OK place to start? Is the retention there? How long does it take your dc to complete a lesson?

My dd will be doing biology next year. She objects to "cutting up something that was once alive." She is also a vegan. There are virtual dissections online, as well as the ones on YouTube. Many of the virtual dissections include printouts of vocabulary and an opportunity to label the specimen. In my opinion, this would count towards the lab. When I was in high school I did the dissections while my two lab partners stood by and watched . . . they did not want to touch the frog or the fetal pig we did. They still received credit because they observed and completed the worksheets. So I would feel it would be the same with a YouTube or virtual dissection.

Hope this helps!

Adrianne in IL

Hi Emma,

I really like Apologia bio, and I would recommend you plan time to do an anatomy course in addition, since your daughter plans a career in art. Apologia bio does not include human anatomy, but their Adv Bio is all about Human Anatomy and Physiology. My senior is doing that course now and is enjoying it.

Hope this helps for future planning!

Blessings,

April

I love this board! Thanks so much everyone, especially the tip about taking A&P in the future (I can tell her it's for her future art career...). Where can I find the printouts of vocabulary and dissection fill in the blank type worksheets? Can I just google those? I really, really thank everyone who answered! Apologia biology is what we'll do for 9th! I love it when I make a decision!!