Menu

Ideas for computer programming (beginning level)

Hi I'm looking for an intro to computer programming course for my 9th grade dd. I don't want a Microsoft Office course, but one where dd will learn to write code in a logical order and create programs using a cs language.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas of coures they've had good sucess with. I've gone online and looked at Potters School too, but at this point TPS is cost prohibitive b/c of the other online courses dd may take.

Also, both dh & I are CS majors, so I *should* be able to teach or at least help dd when she needs it! LOL!

Thanks SO much!

Here are some past threads that might have information of interest.

Has anyone used Computer Science Pure & Simple for high school?

computer programing

Can anyone recommend a book to learn to program in Java?

curriculum for .5 computer science credit

Giant Campus --- A thank you

I found these (and many more) by searching on the word programming and restricting the search to the high school board.

Regards,

Kareni

Both of my guys started with Logo programming in 9th grade - it was a gentle introduction yet fun because of the pretty immediate graphics results (hmm I may still have that on the shelf - thinking spring cleaning item).

The oldest was very interested in programming and moved on to Visual Basic then C++ at Potter's School. He now has an internship were he gets to play with different kinds programming (doing a lot of self-teaching at this point) and will be majoring in Software Engineering in the fall at college.

If your child has not been exposed to any programming yet, Scratch is a decent starting point, but will not be enough for a year. I'd start Scratch now, and be done for June, then move on to bigger things in September.

I have Scratch and "Scratch Programming for Teens" book.

Don't get me wrong, you can do a lot with Scratch, but it will not lead to a computer programming job. It is however a great launching pad.

Edited by CleoQc

Thank you ladies for the ideas!

Where can I find out more about Logo programming & "scratch"?

I haven't heard of either of these. Dh thinks dd should start with VB programming.... but maybe that's putting her in the "deep end" too quick... not quite sure... I think she needs the basics first...

Any info on the above would be a great help - thank you !

Here is a link to Terrapin Logo -

http://www.terrapinlogo.com/terrapin-logo.php

I think our initial curiosity with Logo started in the Lego phase (all boys in this house except mama) – if I remember correctly used with the first version of MindStorm.

IMHO it doesn't really matter which language you start with - you just have to start somewhere! haha It will be the logic of programming rather than the syntax of a programming language that the challenge. So Scratch, Logo or even Visual Basic would be a good beginning point.

Edited by Susie-Knits

Both of my kids got started with this program:

Learn to Program Basic

It's "fun" but also teaches programming well. After completing the projects and lessons, they were both ready for more advanced programming. My son went on to learn Visual Basic and C++, then AP Comp Science with Java. My daughter jumped right into the Java with no problem. Ds is a computer science major now, and still recommends this as a nice way to begin.

~Kathy

Hi,

As a Comp & Info Sci major to 2 CS majors, have you considered Linux?

What I plan to do with mine is have her load some machines (after understanding basic computing, OS's and partitioning), build a small network, teach basic networking and a small amt of programming with Linux. A great computer science program IMHO, complete with labs. :)

I'm on a Linux laptop now. we picked up some refurbs here and there and I'll be loading the rest of the boxes with Linux before long. When you get Linux, you get much of the libraries and programming languages for programming standard. Linux rocks. And as you prob know, Linux is just a home version of Unix and is stable and easier to understand, computer-wise, than MS IMHO. It just makes sense and you have a ton more control over your machines and network than you would with MS.

I was weaned on UNIX, so Linux just makes more sense to me, tho. But those are my plans. With some O'Reilly books, you're set.

Kim

Python is an excellent teaching language. Very similar to C++/C# but much easier to use. Less picky. And it's free! There are some inexpensive books available for learning Python.

If dd becomes very interested in programming, modding video games is a great way to pursue that interest. Civilization is written in Python and has a huge and supportive modding community.

Agree totally with titianmom, Linux is a great platform. It also is free. My ds works at his university (Ga Tech) and does tons of programming in the Linux platform.

You may also want to look at JAVA. Very widely used.

Mary

DS14 is using Alice 2.0 this year. It teaches object-oriented programming. It's a good course - good for high school. The software is a free download. We picked up the "Learning to Program With Alice 2.0" book nearly free used (though I suppose you can pay more for it). This is a great course for getting started with programming techniques.

Python is an excellent teaching language. Very similar to C++/C# but much easier to use. Less picky. And it's free! There are some inexpensive books available for learning Python.

:iagree: My son is learning Python and really enjoys it. It is being used more and more by companies such as Google and by scientists, so it is a practical language to learn.

Here is a free book for Python beginners: Snake Wrangling for Kids.