Menu

American History, etc for high school curricula questions

Dd is doing SWB's History of the Ancient World next year, and likes the book, but has requested something with a workbook for next year (she's not into history.) Since she may end up choosing to go to ps before she's done (but not likely) I'd like to follow the ps format in history for her (World History I, even if it's just this much), American History I, American History II, World History II.)

Is there something out there like this? She'd do that and write at least one paper per week for history. This year I'm busy writing questions for her for most of the SWB chapters and having her write one paper a week.

Is there anything like this that includes government, etc?

Anyone? So far 31 people have read this, but no one has had any suggestions. Does this mean that there isn't anything like this? I realize it's not classical education history, but for my eldest we just need to get history done. Science and math are her big interests (okay, strong words--swimming in phys ed is her biggest school interest!)

You might take a look at Notgrass. They publish a World History and an Americna History curriculum. The American could easily be stretched into two years if you needed it to conform more to public school standards. There have been a few threads about this lately, too.

Thanks. I'll look for the Notgrass threads. I was away from the WTM forum for about 5 days. Plus, dd just expressed this desire recently, but it makes a lot of sense. What we need is something that is not teacher intensive, but can be done with a fair bit of independence as far as learning the material.

Notgrass can be done independently, unless you want your dd to answer all the questions at the end of the chapters and take tests, which I suppose you'd have to correct. ;) My dd answered the q's by her own choice because she felt it helped her remember more, but she never took any tests and she just kept the answers for her own benefit.

Karin,

This is a simple option, but Barron's has World History The Easy Way in 2 volumes. It's actually pretty good. We used it as a supplement, but it could be a spine. It has questions, some fill-ins, some vocab, and stuff like that. You could easily go deeper by pulling a topic and researching a paper on it.

Also, if you link some of your lit to history, you can go deeper that way. Listening to the "voice" of the time period by reading lit written then is a great way to go.

This is a simple option, but Barron's has World History The Easy Way in 2 volumes. It's actually pretty good. We used it as a supplement, but it could be a spine. It has questions, some fill-ins, some vocab, and stuff like that. You could easily go deeper by pulling a topic and researching a paper on it.

Also, if you link some of your lit to history, you can go deeper that way. Listening to the "voice" of the time period by reading lit written then is a great way to go.

Seconding Chris' suggestion of the Barron's World History the Easy Way. (I've linked Volume 1.) We also used this to supplement a primarily literature approach to World History when my daughter was in 8th and 9th grades. We also used American History the Easy Way to make sure that American history was not being given short shrift. (I see that there is a newer version of the latter book.)

Regards,

Kareni

Karin,

Seconding Chris' suggestion of the Barron's World History the Easy Way. (I've linked Volume 1.) We also used this to supplement a primarily literature approach to World History when my daughter was in 8th and 9th grades. We also used American History the Easy Way to make sure that American history was not being given short shrift. (I see that there is a newer version of the latter book.)

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks! I'll check this out.

Notgrass can be done independently, unless you want your dd to answer all the questions at the end of the chapters and take tests, which I suppose you'd have to correct. ;) My dd answered the q's by her own choice because she felt it helped her remember more, but she never took any tests and she just kept the answers for her own benefit.

Thanks! I really like the look of Notgrass, but since I really need a good writing program, too, I'm going to have to choose something cheap and something not cheap. The question is, which shall I spend more money on? I was looking at Smarr, and it's pricey, but it would tie in with American history. Decisions, decisions. At least I'm already set with math & science and know what we're getting for logic and for her elective (music history & theory with some appreciation thrown in. I already have a music history text from when I studied it). Of course, it's entirely possible I could find some of this used, but this spring am having surgery right around used curricula sales time, so am not sure what I'm going to do yet.