Menu

Popping over from K-8 board to ask if SAxon Advanced Math is a one year course or

I've been wondering the same thing. It has approximately the same number of lessons as the Algebra I and II texts, but I've seen schools make half the book a year's study. I'm thinking they do that to give more math without making it too difficult for those who aren't looking to advance to Calculus. But I don't know. We plan on doing the book in a year - a lesson a day.

Move at the pace of your student. If they get to Calculus before they graduate then GREAT--if not then it is NOT the end of the world or the end of any potential Math/Science career.

Once your student is at the Advanced Math level you will know how fast to move. The majority of students would benefit from it being at least a 3 semester course... but I've known students who have completed it in one year and a few who needed 2 full years.

I've been a homeschooling Mom for over 11 years now... I wasted too much time planning for subjects/levels/programs that were NOT what my daughters needed when they finally go there. I like to look ahead 1-2 years and still keep some flexibility.

Jann, what is the benefit of making it last 3 semesters? Is something missed if you go too quickly? These are sincere questions. I don't have a background in higher math or science. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. Thank you!

But to complete a lesson a day takes about 2 hours.

The problem sets take much longer than the Alg. 2 sets, IMO.

I think if they can handle doing 2 hours of math per day they would be able to complete the book in a year. [And really, 2 hrs. per day for math is realistic if you are planning to continue w/calculus and college math, because it will still be 2+ hrs. per day.]

But, I only have experience with my 2 high schoolers.

The beauty of homeschooling is that we can do whatever is best for our child. If your child enjoys math and want him to cover Calculus in high school, then doing Saxon AM in one year is doable. You could have your child do 2 semesters and then do it over the summer to finish before the next fall.

I agree with Jann:

I wasted too much time planning for subjects/levels/programs that were NOT what my daughters needed when they finally go there. I like to look ahead 1-2 years and still keep some flexibility.
My son started Alg at 11 yo; I had plans to see him get through lots of math before college. As it ended up, he stopped doing math after completing Alg 2, at 13 yo, and then right before he went to college, he did Pre-Calc/Trig. His freshman year in college he took Calc without any problem. My dau was similar and did not take Calc until college and ended up a math major, going to grad school now in math. Go figure.

“If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.†(Bella movie)

But to complete a lesson a day takes about 2 hours.

The problem sets take much longer than the Alg. 2 sets, IMO.

I think if they can handle doing 2 hours of math per day they would be able to complete the book in a year. [And really, 2 hrs. per day for math is realistic if you are planning to continue w/calculus and college math, because it will still be 2+ hrs. per day.]

But, I only have experience with my 2 high schoolers.

This has been our experience as well.

Saxon is unique in that EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM was designed for the student to work out... not just the odds (as in traditional texts). With this in mind there is also a HUGE jump in the logical thinking (mathematical maturity) expected of students who use the Advanced Math text. Moving slower through the text takes some of the (I think unnecessary) pressure off of the student so they can relax and actually LEARN the concepts--again--move at the pace of YOUR student. Just because they took Algebra 1 in 7th or 8th grade does not mean that they can or should take Calc in high school.

Both of my oldest sons did Advanced Math in one year. They did not take 2 hours a day to do math either. I'm sure it depends on the child. My third son will be working through this next year, so I'll keep this in mind as he is so different from his brothers.

Thanks for all the great replies - so helpful!!

I know I probably sounded like the high school version of the mother of preschoolers who is having her child do math, reading, geography and handwriting at age 4 - But I promise I'm not!!

I just want to make sure that we allow enough time to get through Advance Math (if we are still even with Saxon at that time!)

This child's academic progress will probably be much like my own - which is why I would like to be able to get to calculus IF it works out that way!!

Thanks for all the great info - And Jan - I think it was your input on the k-8 board that's been so persuasive with doing the whole problem set - as my kids get older - I'm definitely seeing the value in it!!

I like the idea I read in another thread about splitting math into two different time periods during the day as well.

Again - Thank you!!