Menu

Charlotte Mason way of spelling

Has anyone used this way, with good end results? I'm posting here since I would see more long term effects of CM other than elementary/middle school.

Did it work for you and was your child a natural speller to begin with?

May I ask for more details of what Charlotte Mason's way of spelling was?

(I have to admit that spelling has never been a strength of my daughter's. We used Spelling Power for several years from about 7th through 9th grade until she had completed the program. If I had to do it again and had the funds available, I believe I would choose Sequential Spelling.)

Regards,

Kareni

It's through dictation through studying passages visually; picturing the correct spelling. Immediate if they spell it wrong, they erase it and fix the error. It starts via like spelling words then proceeds to a sentence including capitalization and punctuation, the moves on to paragraphs.

http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/2009/07/dictation.html

I'm wondering what the long term results of learning are of really any CM-based learning or if there even are any out there.

It would be good to hear if anyone has done CM-based schooling most or all the way through.

My son was a visual learner. This is how we did spelling. It worked great for him. But he was a natural speller, so I'm not sure if it was the method or he would have been a good spelller either way. Because he was a natural speller, he hated doing lists of words (normal way) and doing it this way with dictation seemed more natural to us. It also was good streamlining, putting dictation, spelling, and grammar in one lesson.