Menu

graduation gift idea needed

I know it is a tad early to be talking about graduation gifts, but I need the help of those who have great creative brain cells (of which I am not one of these people)...

we have some very special friends whose first born child (daughter) is graduating from High School in May. I don't want to just get her any gift, but something super special. If it helps, she LOVES books, History and great literature. But she is a very well rounded young gal...not girly at all...and I am just at a loss as to ideas. So, if anybody can help me, I would be grateful!!!

Kathy

Given her interests, the first thought that came to mind was Susan Wise Bauer's The History of the Ancient World: From the Earliest Accounts to the Fall of Rome or her follow up book The History of the Medieval World: From the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade .

Is she college bound? I do like Mrs. Mungo's suggestion of a backpack above. Another possibility, especially if she has to travel to college, would be luggage.

or a great thesaurus.

How about engraved stationery?

My now college freshman enjoyed receiving a fountain pen and ink. Also, a lap desk has been very useful to her.

Regards,

Kareni

Is she going away to college? How about a gift basket type thing with stuff like a cozy blanket, a great book, slippers, tea kettle with packets of tea and hot chocolate, a tea cup... (not everything :))

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-PIN-MICROTHROW-ESP-Pinzon-Microtec-Espresso/dp/B000QIYVHO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267858387&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Home-Splendor-Whistling-Cranberry/dp/B001G7QU5A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267858835&sr=8-6'>http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Home-Splendor-Whistling-Cranberry/dp/B001G7QU5A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267858835&sr=8-6'>http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=vl_other_1&listing_id=42021399http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Home-Splendor-Whistling-Cranberry/dp/B001G7QU5A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267858835&sr=8-6

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=HOME-TABLETOP-DINNERWARE&id=973976&catId=HOME-TABLETOP&pushId=HOME-TABLETOP&popId=HOME&sortProperties=&navCount=70&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=045&colorName=SKY&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Home-Splendor-Whistling-Cranberry/dp/B001G7QU5A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267858835&sr=8-6

Guest kartinkent

Encouraging and supporting a graduate's dreams is one of the best gifts you can give. Dream helps you express the spirit of that gift. You can accompany the book with more tangible items to help the graduate achieve their dreams and begin a new stage of their life.

The first step is to consider the graduate's future plans and what they might need. Are they taking some time off? Going on to further studies? Trying to get a job? Getting married? That will give you some clues as to what they can use and might enjoy.

Give what you can to help a graduate with what they need to achieve their goals. Many graduates may have big-ticket items in mind. Remember that meaningful is best, and that you also need to stick to what you can afford.

You can create a "dream kit" of items related to a graduate's dream. The kit can include items that will help a graduate achieve their goal or pursue an interest. For example, if they want to learn to fly, include an aviator jacket, a book about flight, even flying lessons. If they want to travel, give a set of luggage, travel books, and perhaps airline tickets, a tour package, or a European train pass.

Here are other top grad gifts as identified by graduates and their families:

• Money – the number one gift that fits all! It's not cold and heartless; in fact, it can be quite the opposite. You remember what it was like starting out, when money was tight, don't you? A meaningful, fun gift set might consist of a sum of money accompanied with a fake $1 million bill as a wish for future riches and a financial book with practical advice on saving and investing. The money you give can be designated for a specific purpose, like recreation, travel, or tuition.

• In the same vein as money, buy some savings bonds or stocks. For a more symbolic gesture, give a single stock in a well-known company like Disney, DreamWorks, Nike, Coke, or McDonald's.

• Gift certificates for a graduate's favorite restaurants can be an appreciated gift for those continuing on in their studies. Students usually don't have the time or skill to cook a lot. Going out can provide a much needed break and some essential nourishment.

• A new or used car. Keep in mind the cost of upkeep and insurance though; if you're able, you may want to help out with these costs for a specified period of time.

• A laptop computer fully loaded with appropriate software.

• A small TV, microwave, digital camera, or DVD player/recorder.

• A set of kitchen bowls, plates, and small kitchen appliances like a toaster.

• A cell phone with an annual calling plan.

• Jewelry – an elegant necklace or pair of earrings for a young woman, or a watch or ring for a young man.

• Monogrammed sheets and towels, along with a good pillow.

• A desk set consisting of a good pen and pencil, a bill and checkbook holder, a letter opener, and other items useful for someone just starting out and managing their own affairs. Include some stationery and stamps to encourage letters home, an address book, and a calendar with family birthdays and other events written in.

• A tool kit, with basic tools for everything from hanging a picture to doing a quick fix on an automobile.

• A quality backpack, with some goodies inside like a change caddy, a calculator, and pocket dictionary.

To create a memorable experience around the giving of a graduation gift, share a "dream day" full of activities, like shopping, going to a sports event or the spa, and a nice dinner or lunch. Have "gift stops" along the way to present gifts. The gifts will evoke even more memories every time the graduate looks at them!

A final warning: Inspired by Dream, many people have asked about naming a star for a graduate. My advice: don't do it! It's tempting to think about buying a star, and there are plenty of companies on the Internet eager to take your money. At least half a dozen companies are offering to attach names to stars. They make the designations seem official, and mail you a fancy certificate and directions for locating the newly named point of light. Their promotional strategies range from harmlessly playful to bordering on fraudulent. It's a novelty gift and you really don't get much more than a very expensive piece of paper. Only the International Astronomical Union (IAU) has the right to officially name celestial objects. It does so for scientific purposes only and does not recognize any commercial naming systems.