Menu

More travel questions! Has anyone ever stayed at the Chicago Plaza Hotel?

DH can get us a good discount ($129.00 a night) through work.

It seems to be close to the art institute and other attractions we were planning to see. However, the reviews on travel website were kind of "all over the map". Anywhere from 2.5 stars out of 5 to 5/5. The pictures of the hotel are beautiful.

Help....has anyone stayed there or known anyone who did?

Thanks Hive!

Faith

That is a great price for that location. My vote is for you to stay there instead of Carol Stream. Even though the reviews at TripAdvisor are all over the place, if your room should be less than stellar, you can opt to spend your time seeing more of the city.

Have your husband mention that this is for your honeymoon and he wants to surprise you. You might get a better room or little present to start your trip off on the right foot.

At night, take a cab or a bus back to the hotel. It's safe during the day, but at night that area can be a little iffy. (I used to work in the Britannica Building, now called the Metropolitan Tower, which is about a block from the Art Institute.) Here's a map of the train and bus lines in that area, but it would probably be best to ask the concierge about buses and whether they run at night. Do not take the trains at night. Of course, be familiar with your surroundings and watch your wallets and purses closely.

Oh, another restaurant recommendation: Frontera Fresco at the Macy's on State Street. The food is fantastic. I like it as much as Rick Bayless's other restaurants. My favorites are the pulled pork tacos, Cubana torta, shrimp quesadilla, and the salads. The price is right, too. I'd recommend an early (11 to 11:30) or late lunch (1:00) because around noon it's going to be very busy there.

Have fun!

Dh and I, except for our trip to NYC when we stayed at the Roosevelt Hotel, are pretty used to Holiday Inns and Best Westerns, so even though some people thought the rooms were too small or room service slow, we will probably find it fantastic. I am really excited to be staying in the city and not in the burbs.

Thank you for the restaurant and transportation advice. The frontera restaurant sounds wonderful - DH and I love pulled pork tacos!

Faith