Menu

Reading to CW...what would you do? What would be a great sequence?

Honey Bee

I was just wondering if you could do it again or are doing it now...how would you go from teaching a child to read to using Classical Writing (you decide where to start for example primer, Aesop, homer, etc.).

I've been reading on the CW forums and it seems easy-peasy to just do primers, aesop, and homer with copywork, dictation, spelling, reading before these. Grammar will come in these programs, but with all the talk about WWE and SWB lectures, well I just don't know.

For all those Phonics Road Lovers out there:

K5: Learning sounds & teach to blend/read

1st: Phonics Road Level 1, WWE 1 (we are doing this this year)

2nd: Phonics Road Level 2

3rd: Phonics Road Level 3

4th: Phonics Road Level 4

5th: Classical Writing Homer A

...and continue

oh, but I loooove the looks of those primers...so maybe...

K5: SWR

1st: FLL 1, WWE 1, SWR

2nd: FLL2, CW Primers, SWR

3rd: CW Aesop A, SWR

4th: CW Aesop B, SWR

...and continue

Anyway...what would you do? and why if you want :001_smile: :bigear:

Also realize that as set up with the Student and Teacher Manuals, Aesop A and B are only 18 months each.

Thus you could easily do:

2nd: FLL2, WWE 2, SWR

3rd: CW Primers, SWR

4th: CW Aesop A & B, SWR

The Primers aren't really a draw for me, so I plan on doing WWE. But a lot of that is probably because I have done and know WWE. At this stage of the game, with so many irons in the fire, I don't want to have to work with something new. :001_huh:

Heather

I'm using PR 1 and CW Primers. My plan is to continue both progressions. They have different focus. If it comes to a time where they overlap too much to make them both necessary - CW wins. I might do Writing Tales 1 after Primers if my dd isn't ready for Aesop because WT is a bit easier than Aesop.

Heather

I'm using PR 1 also, PR1 and primer seems like a lot to me. How long does it take you to do the Primers, I was looking and estimating for next year about 30 minutes--Oh wait a minute, you are not starting with a little one, but and older one--never mind:001_huh:. So I will still ask how long it takes to work through the primer each day and do they seem like 2nd grade to you? A good precursor to Aesop?

I have enjoyed PR, but want to move towards CW. I will still wait till I attend convention in May to make a final decision. PR 2 may be what I want, but I will have to spend some time in the PR/LR booth to see. PR2 seems more rich and deep. PR 1 is primarily spelling/phonics, reading (wk17+), and some mechanics/grammar. Which is great, but I want to make sure we are getting in our writing (copywork, narration) so we have done WWE 1 alsong-side of it this year.

Thanks for your advice!:001_smile:

Also realize that as set up with the Student and Teacher Manuals, Aesop A and B are only 18 months each.

Thus you could easily do:

2nd: FLL2, WWE 2, SWR

3rd: CW Primers, SWR

4th: CW Aesop A & B, SWR

The Primers aren't really a draw for me, so I plan on doing WWE. But a lot of that is probably because I have done and know WWE. At this stage of the game, with so many irons in the fire, I don't want to have to work with something new. :001_huh:

Heather

Heather, you are brave to do Aesop in one year. When do you do the writing, I thought that was the second week? :confused: 18 weeks for 2 weeks each. I do like staying with WWE for 2 years and getting FLL 2 in also. One of my sons just started FLL 1 and we are really liking it, a great intro to the language. I think I'm going to sit down with my WWE hardback and the CW primers and compare them. :auto:

I'm using PR 1 also, PR1 and primer seems like a lot to me. How long does it take you to do the Primers, I was looking and estimating for next year about 30 minutes--Oh wait a minute, you are not starting with a little one, but and older one--never mind:001_huh:. So I will still ask how long it takes to work through the primer each day and do they seem like 2nd grade to you? A good precursor to Aesop?

I have enjoyed PR, but want to move towards CW. I will still wait till I attend convention in May to make a final decision. PR 2 may be what I want, but I will have to spend some time in the PR/LR booth to see. PR2 seems more rich and deep. PR 1 is primarily spelling/phonics, reading (wk17+), and some mechanics/grammar. Which is great, but I want to make sure we are getting in our writing (copywork, narration) so we have done WWE 1 alsong-side of it this year.

Thanks for your advice!:001_smile:

My dd using Primers is 6 1/2. It really depends on the day how long it takes us. She really struggles with narration of Famous Fifty Stories (she can narrate other things well but this type of story is a struggle) so on narration days it's much longer - probably 30+ minutes. On other days it can be as little as 15. Never more than 45, even on the 'over here - are you listening, time to pay attention' days LOL. I like them. I think doing WWE before Aesop is just as acceptable. I think it's a matter of choice. Primers has things like nature and picture studies that WWE doesn't have. WWE is more of a copywork, narration focus. Remember, before this year when Primers came out most kids started Aesop with only copywork and narration - some not even with that - so it really isn't a make or break deal.

I'm not a PR expert but I have looked into it beyond PR1. I see CW and PR as being complimentary, especially if you plan on doing a separate spelling and/or grammar with CW. CW IMHO doesn't have enough spelling for the standard student. Also, some kids need both the applied grammar of CW and the formal grammar of something else. For some families they just wait until Homer when formal grammar is assigned. Some do it earlier with something else. In our case that will be PR. Likewise, I have not seen anything in PR that would qualify in my book as enough writing. So CW fits that bill. I hope to be able to do both with my youngest through Aesop. At that point she should no longer need spelling and we can proceed with Homer and Junior Analytical Grammar.

I have roughly a LCC approach to my schooling so a good chunk of time for LA is natural for us. I don't think its overkill since if I was only doing CW Primers, I'd still be looking for grammar and spelling with something else and if I was only doing PR, I'd be doing other copywork, narration etc. So it would probably end up being the same about of school time and probably alot more work for me.

Heather

My dd using Primers is 6 1/2. It really depends on the day how long it takes us. She really struggles with narration of Famous Fifty Stories (she can narrate other things well but this type of story is a struggle) so on narration days it's much longer - probably 30+ minutes. On other days it can be as little as 15. Never more than 45, even on the 'over here - are you listening, time to pay attention' days LOL. I like them. I think doing WWE before Aesop is just as acceptable. I think it's a matter of choice. Primers has things like nature and picture studies that WWE doesn't have. WWE is more of a copywork, narration focus. Remember, before this year when Primers came out most kids started Aesop with only copywork and narration - some not even with that - so it really isn't a make or break deal.

I'm not a PR expert but I have looked into it beyond PR1. I see CW and PR as being complimentary, especially if you plan on doing a separate spelling and/or grammar with CW. CW IMHO doesn't have enough spelling for the standard student. Also, some kids need both the applied grammar of CW and the formal grammar of something else. For some families they just wait until Homer when formal grammar is assigned. Some do it earlier with something else. In our case that will be PR. Likewise, I have not seen anything in PR that would qualify in my book as enough writing. So CW fits that bill. I hope to be able to do both with my youngest through Aesop. At that point she should no longer need spelling and we can proceed with Homer and Junior Analytical Grammar.

I have roughly a LCC approach to my schooling so a good chunk of time for LA is natural for us. I don't think its overkill since if I was only doing CW Primers, I'd still be looking for grammar and spelling with something else and if I was only doing PR, I'd be doing other copywork, narration etc. So it would probably end up being the same about of school time and probably alot more work for me.

Heather

Your daughter is younger than I thought, but now I can see your reasoning for using them together. I really need to see those writing samples for levels 2-4. Around week 17 the child begins to write their own original sentence. I guess I think the more "classical" thing to do would be copy a sentence or dictate one. That got me worried about how the writing would proceed in the next levels. I can't wait to see PR upper levels when I go in may. I dropped by the booth last year and asked about the writing portion--I've even called her to ask her about it, but for some reason I can't get the answers I'm looking for. The day was over by the time I had found her in the booth and they were putting away samples of completed books as I came to talk to her. I have enjoyed some aspects of PR, but I really love working with FLL. I've been real impressed with the ease of use and time compared to what we are getting out of it. But that leaves me in a quandary: spelling. Anyway, I would really like to hear how PR and CW work together as time goes on for you. I do think they could compliment each other very, very well the more I think about it. PR is so strong in spelling and grammar. CW in writing (copywork, narration, dictation) and I like that the Primers add picture and nature study. YR 2 in PR looks like a longer day though. I can't wait to hear how it's working for you or your insights in the future.

:001_smile:Melissa

Heather, you are brave to do Aesop in one year. When do you do the writing, I thought that was the second week? :confused: 18 weeks for 2 weeks each. I do like staying with WWE for 2 years and getting FLL 2 in also. One of my sons just started FLL 1 and we are really liking it, a great intro to the language. I think I'm going to sit down with my WWE hardback and the CW primers and compare them. :auto:

You can do the analysis one week and the writing the next, or you can do it all in one week. Generally I have my kids do it over one week.

Heather

Well, since I am an oldie and began homeschooling before most of those products came out, I am content and will continue with my original plan:

K: finish Phonics Pathways; copywork

1/2: FLL 1&2; narrations for history and science; daily copywork

3: FLL 3; narrations for history, science, and some reading assignments; daily copywork or dictation

4: Aesop A&B (I might add in FLL4 for my next child since it is available now)

5: Homer A, Beginning Poetry & Harvey's

6: Homer B & Harvey's

7: Maxim, Intermediate Poetry & Harvey's

8: Chreia & Harvey's

etc. (This is all approximate since we school year round and just begin the next thing when ready.)

I have been extremely pleased with the preparedness of my oldest three children to start CW Aesop in 4th grade following 3 years of copywork, dictation, and narration. I do not feel the need to add to (or, frankly complicate) what we have done. If it ain't broke... :-)

My older two use CW, but didn't start out with it. What I plan to do for my third on down the line would look something like this:

1st grade: FLL 1/2, copywork and narration (sans WWE), A Reason For Spelling

2nd grade: FLL 1/2, copywork and narration, A Reason For Spelling, maybe one primer

3rd grade: FLL 3, CW primers, copywork/narration/dictation in science and history, A Reason For Spelling

4th grade: FLL 4 or R&S 4, Aesop A & B, R&S spelling, WTM writing in science and history

Having already gone through Aesop with my oldest, I lean more towards SWB's comment in TWTM's logic section about placement. She recommends starting in fifth grade. I'm going to start mine in fourth. I intend to do one Aesop lesson a week, but will stretch it out of they need that. No worries if Homer A doesn't start at the beginning of fifth grade. I'll also be adding separate grammar all the way.