Menu

Fun Reading Suggestions?

My 10-year-old son and I are going to try and work some regular library trips into our routine. (Trying to save a few pennies toward assorted tuition expenses in the fall.) We're all set for history-related assigned reading for the rest of this academic year, but he's going through fun books faster than I can replace them.

In the past couple of months, he's read through two Garth Nix series (Keys to the Kingdom and Seventh Tower) as well as my daughter's old copies of Myth-o-Mania. He's already read the Narnian books (twice), the whole Harry Potter series, the Guardians of Ga'Hoole and the Peter and the Starcatchers trilogy. Another favorite series that he reads and re-reads is Gerald Morris's Squire's Tale and its sequels. I assigned The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn early this year, and he loved it so much that he read through the whole series. At the moment, I think he's re-reading some version of the Robin Hood tales.

As you can see, he likes very "boyish" books, with adventure and magic and boys roughly his age (or slightly older) facing big challenges.

I like series because they eliminate--for as long as they last--the need to constantly figure out "what's next?"

From what I can tell, most of his pleasure reading is at the 6th-8th grade level. The lighter stuff (like Myth-o-Mania and Ga'Hoole) he goes through very quickly, like less than a day per book. However, he doesn't like pages that are too crowded or text that is too small. I can't tell whether it's because it's imtimidating or because it's geniunely tough for him to read. But, since this is fun reading we're talking about, I've chosen not to quibble.

So, the inevitable question is: Does anyone have suggestions of books or series we might check the library shelves for tomorrow? I'll admit to being pretty much out of ideas and would really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

--Jenny

My ds, 11, has recently been enjoying the series that starts with The Lightening Thief (by Riordan). I have no idea whether they would be too young for your son (that is, I don't know what reading level they're on), but they apparently involve the Greek gods brought up to date, or something. (Percy, the main character, seems to be Perseus, I think. And he's in 6th grade, so that seems to have appeal!) My dh and some friends and I were just discussing how there's a dearth of "boy books," it seems! Good luck - I'll be interested in seeing the rest of this thread.

Yes! Percy Jackson! That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Dh just read the first 3 books aloud to my dds. We're eagerly awaiting book 4 to-be-published May 6th -- get your name on the library waiting list for that one NOW.

Also, the library should have some reference books that list things like "if you liked book XYZ you might want to try book ABC".

Hi! I started a yahoo group for advanced readers and most of the members are between 10-15. It's called "Gateway to the Great Books" and here is the site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gatewaytothegreatbooks/

Here is our schedule for 2008 if you are interested:

**March: Begin reading Watership Down by Richard Adams to discuss on April 10th.

April (begin discussion on April 10th): Finish and discuss Watership Down by Richard Adams

May (begin discussion on May 10th): Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

June (begin discussion on June 10th): Walden by Henry David Thoreau

July (begin discussion on July 10th): Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

August (begin discussion on August 10th): The Story of My Life by Helen Keller

September (begin discussion on September 10th): The Call of the Wild by Jack London

October (begin discussion on October 10th): Story of the Greeks by H.A. Guerber

**November: Begin David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

December (begin discussion on December 10th): Finish and discuss David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

January (begin discussion on January 10th): Story of the Romans by H.A. Guerber

They are definately some that are more "girl books" (at least probably according to a ten year old boy) but he is welcomed to participate in any of the readings if he wishes.

Melisa

Here's a few off the top of my head:

The Edge Chronicles by Stewart/Riddell

The Fire Thief Trilogy by Terry Deary

Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan

Cronus Chronicles series by Anne Ursu

Lost Years of Merlin series by T.A. Barron (other books by him too)

maybe The Hungry City Chronicles series by Philip Reeve (this might be jsut outside his comfort level)

definitely Larklight and Starcross by Philip Reeve

Revenge of the Witch series by John Delaney

Zenta and Matsuzo Mysteries by Lensey Namioka

Terry Pratchett Discworld for kids books

Johnny Maxwell Trilogy by Terry Pratchett

ok ... any Terry Pratchett for kids

:)

Also, the library should have some reference books that list things like "if you liked book XYZ you might want to try book ABC".
Amazon is a great resource for this too (it hurts me to type this, but it's true). Each title has a scrolling display of other titles people who've purchased a book have also purchased. You can also set up a separate account for each child indicating favourite titles as ones they "own" or put them in a wishlist and check out the recommendations, marking "not interested" as appropriate.

I was going to suggest the Artemis Fowl books, but perhaps you should save that series until he is at least 11 or 12. They are not great literature, just highly entertaining. (Just as Harry Potter is not great literature and you would not necessarily want your child imitating the writing style of Rowling).

So, instead, how about "Bridge to Terabithia?" I loved the writing in that book. Also "Tuck Everlasting", "A Wrinkle in Time," and "Phantom Tollbooth."

Happy reading!

I'm going to recommend entertaining books because there are plenty of lists of great literature for kids this age.

The author of the Redwall series (Brian Jacques) has set of novels called Cataways of the Flying Dutchman series; I like them quite a bit better.

I would let him read the Artemis Fowl books now because there are much better books he can be reading by 12. My daughter read most of the Artemis Fowl books in a day.

Has he read Cornelia Funke? I love the Inkheart books (and my daughter *loved* Dragonrider) but not so much The Thief Lord.

If he likes Sci-Fi Fantasy he could read The Riddlemaster of Hed trilogy. If you do this (as I tell everyone to whom I recommend it) you *must* procure all 3 books. The first one ends in a rather shocking cliffhanger. People gasp, cry aloud and even stand up.

Some of the Pern books would have too many mature themes but the "Harper Hall" trilogy is good for this age.

The Hobbit, of course, is great for this age.

How about A Door in the Wall?

Ursula LeGuin?

A quick quibble about your otherwise *fabulous* list of recommendations:

I would say that the first two books in the Harper Hall trilogy are great for kids, but the third one is both much darker and, mid-book, has some, imho, adult level s*xual situations. ymmv :)

I re-read them just before allowing my daughter to read them (she just read them recently and so was a bit older than the OPer's child). I agree that the inference and situation *is* there. It's especially there if you've read the other books. But from an adolescent perspective? I think the author glosses over it *just* enough for the younger set to miss what's really going on. But you are right, I could see why some people would find it disturbing and not pass the third one on.

It's a shame her other books include adult material - I think in many ways they are otherwise perfect for an older teen. (I feel the same way about David Eddings and Piers Anthony... the narratives feel so teenage, but some of the situations and/or references are, imho, adult... I think this is even more strongly true of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover books (*not* something my kids are getting!))

I agree, *especially* on the Darkover and Pern books. Those would, otherwise, be *so good* for teens. David Eddings was never my favorite...I think they just have too much of a man's perspective or something...I don't know what it is.

A bunch of the things folks have mentioned are things he's already either read (The Hobbit, Door in the Wall, Phantom Tollbooth, Wrinkle in Time . . .) or turned down (Inkheart and Thief Lord, though my daughter has tried many, many times to entice him). I read the first Artemis Fowl when it came out and found it just, hmm, for lack of a better word, icky.

About Redwall: Okay, I admit it. I've known about this series forever, and multiple people have recommended it for my son. However, we have some challenges with this kiddo keeping a lid on his aggression. It's one of the reasons we limit the amount of time he spends playing video or computer games and the types of games he plays. We also keep a fairly tight leash on him when it comes to violence in films. There are all kinds of movies that all of his friends have seen that he has not (Pirates of the Carribean, Spiderman, etc.), because we can see the difference in his attitude and behavior when we allow him to push the limits.

We do allow a bit more leeway when it comes to reading material, both because he seems to handle that better (I suppose because it's not so vivid) and because, from a purely practical standpoint, I cannot possible preview every book he reads. However, it has been my impression that Redwall is, perhaps, more violent than would be good for him.

I suppose the best bet would be for me to go check the first one out of the library and just see for myself. But I'm wondering if anyone here has read them and could give me a sense of how graphic they really are? And, perhaps more importantly, what is the position about the conflict? Is battle portrayed as glorious and honorable?

I'd be really interested to hear opinions on this.

Thanks!

However, it has been my impression that Redwall is, perhaps, more violent than would be good for him.
Has he read Harry Potter? I don't recall what I've read of the Redwall series as being much more violent than HP, but there is some graphic violence. I would characterize the series as mythic -- with battles but without magic and monsters. There are beasts that appear monstrous, but no real monsters. There is a very strong sense of good vs. evil, and there is honour in defeating evil (but just as much relief). I would let him read them, but given your concerns, it can't hurt to wait another year.