Menu

Is there a list of things to memorize in Grammar stage?

gaz-mom

This year is our first year homeschooling using the Classical Method, and in planning for next year, I have realized that we didn't do much memorizing of basic facts this year. :001_huh:

Is there a big list somewhere that lists things to memorize? I know there are suggestions in the WTM book, but I'm looking for a master list. For instance, what things should they memorize in Grammar? We're not doing History/Science/Art/Music this year, so we can focus on LA and Math and getting them up to grade level. Should they memorize the addition and subtraction tables? I'd like a master list so I can start them memorizing things before they come to it. (for instance, in Grammar, I've figured out that he should be memorizing the helping verbs, but so far they have only taught am,is,are,was,were,be,being,been,do,does,did,have,has,had and I know there are more, but there is no master list in the grammar book. I remember in grade school the inside covers of the books had all the important things to know.

Thanks!

For instance, what things should they memorize in Grammar? We're not doing History/Science/Art/Music this year, so we can focus on LA and Math and getting them up to grade level. Should they memorize the addition and subtraction tables? I'd like a master list so I can start them memorizing things before they come to it. (for instance, in Grammar, I've figured out that he should be memorizing the helping verbs, but so far they have only taught am,is,are,was,were,be,being,been,do,does,did,have,has,had and I know there are more, but there is no master list in the grammar book. I remember in grade school the inside covers of the books had all the important things to know.

Thanks!

For grammar, there's a list of things to memorize at the back of FLL. Poetry memorization could be most anything you like, but if you needed ideas, FLL has that as well. English programs won't all have the same things memorized at the same grade levels, so your grammar memory work will depend on which program you choose.

For spelling rules, again, the memory work would be driven by your spelling program.

Ruth Beechick's The Three R's has some good memory work lists for spelling rules, grammar, mechanics, usage, and arithmetic, if I remember correctly. Hopefully someone else can chime in!

HTH!

This year is our first year homeschooling using the Classical Method, and in planning for next year, I have realized that we didn't do much memorizing of basic facts this year. :001_huh:

Is there a big list somewhere that lists things to memorize? I know there are suggestions in the WTM book, but I'm looking for a master list. For instance, what things should they memorize in Grammar? We're not doing History/Science/Art/Music this year, so we can focus on LA and Math and getting them up to grade level. Should they memorize the addition and subtraction tables? I'd like a master list so I can start them memorizing things before they come to it. (for instance, in Grammar, I've figured out that he should be memorizing the helping verbs, but so far they have only taught am,is,are,was,were,be,being,been,do,does,did,have,has,had and I know there are more, but there is no master list in the grammar book. I remember in grade school the inside covers of the books had all the important things to know.

Thanks!

I'v used this.