Menu

Help with -Easy Off Oven Cleaner

I have never cleaned an oven before :confused:. I bought the Easy Off Oven Cleaner Fume Free for self cleaning ovens. I have a self cleaning oven but I'm just afraid to start spraying. I'll spray the top, then the sides, then the bottom? What about the heating unit - don't spray that right? :blushing: **Oh, I would like to leave it on overnight - it's VERY dirty. Thanks for your help.

Just curious -- have you ever used the self-cleaning feature? I use that solely and my oven is very clean. I do prepare splattery items, as well, like roasted chickens, etc. that would seemingly NOT come off, but IT ALWAYS DOES. You just wipe out the slight ashy residue with a damp cloth. You'd be surprised just how clean it will get using the self-clean. Take out the racks before you do it, or they'll become dull (if they are shiny metal) and will be hard to slide out (this can be remedied by putting a bit of vegetable oil on the slider portion of the racks, though. It will stink like anything, but throw open some windows and doors, run the fans and go play in the snow :)

If you do decide to use the Easy Off, try to get the big chunks out first. I think top, sides, bottom is also a good order. It is fine if it gets on the element, as far as I know...my Mom used to lift hers up (it sort of hinged) and sprayed underneath, but some inevitably will get on it. She would also take a long strip of paper towels and make a "rope" out of it, and place it between the door and oven to catch any drips. When you go to clean it, make sure you wear rubber gloves. Even though it is "fume free" this is SERIOUS stuff. I would still wear a mask because those are NASTY chemicals.

Edited by BikeBookBread

I have a self-cleaning oven, and it is WONDERFUL. No chemicals, just ash left over--believe me, my oven is layered with stuff when I get around to cleaning it, and the self-cleaning heat just blasts it off--

Take the racks out first and use the spray on them, preferably outside, or put them in a bag with a cup of ammonia, tie the bag, and leave overnight. The grime will wipe off in the am (but be careful opening the bag--the fumes will knock your socks off).

You can leave the oven racks in if you want. They will get clean, but they loose the shiny finish on them. Only draw back is that they don't slide out quite as easily. I have used Pam Grill spray on the edges to help with that,but it's not a big deal if you don't. Much easier than trying to clean those racks in the sink!

I don't know what I did wrong or if my oven was extremely dirty but the last time I used the self cleaning - it almost ran us out of the house!! the smell was horrible and we had to open doors and windows just to breathe!

is that what I should expect every time? I sure hope not cuz it could sure use a good cleaning right now and we're about to put our house on the market soon so I should really do this!

I don't know what I did wrong or if my oven was extremely dirty but the last time I used the self cleaning - it almost ran us out of the house!! the smell was horrible and we had to open doors and windows just to breathe!

is that what I should expect every time? I sure hope not cuz it could sure use a good cleaning right now and we're about to put our house on the market soon so I should really do this!

Yes that smell is normal. I try to clean mine on a day when the windows can be open.

Great to know! It's freezing here now and WINDY. I can't leave the windows open because of our allergies and the cold. I guess I have to deal with my yucky oven for a while.