Menu

Writing Road to Reading

Caribbean Queen

I know you are supposed to have your child write the spelling words in her spelling notebook, read the words, and compose original sentences. Is that all the review you did of the words? Did you test your child on the words like it says in the Teaching Different Grades chapter at back of the book?

When we first started (my son was 6 and ESL), I would dictate the word, we'd go over how to pronounce it, then he'd write it and mark it correctly the way the book teaches. After he'd written about 10-15 words, we'd stop, and each day I'd quiz him on those words. When he was able to write it correctly 3 times in a row, I checked it off. After getting down to 3-4 words left to be quizzed on, I'd do another 10-15.

After a couple of years he was mid-way through the lists, and he began to stop marking the words (his choice). Since that time, I simply dictate words (without him having seen them) and he writes them down (like a pre-test, I suppose). If he gets it wrong, I mark it. I continue dictating words until he misses around 15 or so. Then he spends the next several days being quizzed on those 15 words, again waiting until he spells them 3 times correctly. This way, if he spells the word correctly the first time, there's no sense wasting time on it.

He is almost finished with the book - I think he's on list Y. His spelling is excellent - actually, better than his reading! And I like that it only takes us 10-15 minutes a day, which we do first thing in the morning along with memory work. This book has been the cheapest curriculum I've ever bought - I think I paid $18 for it 6 years ago, and I'm still using it! $3 a year is pretty good bang for the buck. :D

When we first started (my son was 6 and ESL), I would dictate the word, we'd go over how to pronounce it, then he'd write it and mark it correctly the way the book teaches. After he'd written about 10-15 words, we'd stop, and each day I'd quiz him on those words. When he was able to write it correctly 3 times in a row, I checked it off. After getting down to 3-4 words left to be quizzed on, I'd do another 10-15.

After a couple of years he was mid-way through the lists, and he began to stop marking the words (his choice). Since that time, I simply dictate words (without him having seen them) and he writes them down (like a pre-test, I suppose). If he gets it wrong, I mark it. I continue dictating words until he misses around 15 or so. Then he spends the next several days being quizzed on those 15 words, again waiting until he spells them 3 times correctly. This way, if he spells the word correctly the first time, there's no sense wasting time on it.

He is almost finished with the book - I think he's on list Y. His spelling is excellent - actually, better than his reading! And I like that it only takes us 10-15 minutes a day, which we do first thing in the morning along with memory work. This book has been the cheapest curriculum I've ever bought - I think I paid $18 for it 6 years ago, and I'm still using it! $3 a year is pretty good bang for the buck. :D

:glare: Uhhhhhgggggg. I guess I'll just do it. I just got this book the other day, but I've already been trying to find a good excuse to sell it. It's confusing, but I do get it. I want to do AAS because it looks enjoyable but I can't bring myself to spend the $ on spelling for my, most likely, natural spellers. (grumble, grumble...) I'll stick with WRTR, I guess.

Oh, and thank you for explaining how you use it. That is helpful.:tongue_smilie:

:glare: Uhhhhhgggggg. I guess I'll just do it. I just got this book the other day, but I've already been trying to find a good excuse to sell it. It's confusing, but I do get it. I want to do AAS because it looks enjoyable but I can't bring myself to spend the $ on spelling for my, most likely, natural spellers. (grumble, grumble...) I'll stick with WRTR, I guess.

Oh, and thank you for explaining how you use it. That is helpful.:tongue_smilie:

The Spalding Method really is so good and comprehensive that it is worth your while to learn how to teach it. I usually recommend that newbies read through the manual, cover to cover, several times before they attempt to begin teaching. (The method is Spalding; the manual is WRTR.)

I also recommend having the spine cut off and drilling the book with three holes, then putting it *two* notebooks: part 1, which has all the instruction, and part 2, which has the EAL and all that. You'll also want the Spelling Assessment Manual.

:glare: Uhhhhhgggggg. I guess I'll just do it. I'll stick with WRTR, I guess.

:rofl: Believe me, I know how you feel. I don't really like teaching spelling, although WRTR makes it quick & painless, and I can't WAIT until April, which is when I predict my son will finish the book. After over 5 years! But.....lots of other subjects are fun. I figure 10 minutes of spelling a day is just one of those things we have to do. Even when I don't wanna. Like right now. :D

I couldn't understand spending almost $40 a year on a spelling program either.

I couldn't understand spending almost $40 a year on a spelling program either.

I think it depends on the parent and child. If that $40 a year program works, and nothing else you have tried worked, it's worth that $40 a year...trust me. ;)

Having said that, I do also have WRTR and am reading through it for the 3rd time.

I think it depends on the parent and child. If that $40 a year program works, and nothing else you have tried worked, it's worth that $40 a year...trust me. ;)

Having said that, I do also have WRTR and am reading through it for the 3rd time.

Agreed. Yes, it is imperative to try to reach the child with whatever works. I really should have said that for my family, a spelling program that expensive will not be used. I will find other methods which will work. Elizabeth B. has some very nice lessons on her site, as does Don Potter. I tend to go that route first before spending $$, as I have been burned on things like MUS in the past.

We've been using WRTR for 3 years, so our schedule has changed as my dc have progressed. My dd no longer does the Oral Phonogram Review (OPR) or the Written Phonogram Review (WPR). I still have ds do the OPR twice per week, but we have dropped WPR.

Here's a sample of our schedule:

M-TH

I dictate 5 new words daily. Both dc write them into the notebook marking each word per WRTR guidelines. We discuss spelling rules and use each word in a sentence. On T, W, Th, I quiz them on the previous day's words. I also quiz them on any missed words from previous weeks.

F

I give a test over the 20 words from the week and any other words that need further review/testing.

Every four weeks, I use the Morrison McCall tests in the spelling assessment manual. My dd is tested on all 50 words and my ds is tested on 25 words. This helps me pin down any problem areas and evaluate retention.

I have begun making up my own vocabuary tests using each week's words. Some weeks, I modify the way I give the weekly test by typing up 4 spellings for a word. Three are incorrect and one is correct. I'm using this method to help dc prepare for the way standardized tests assess spelling.

HTH,

Jennifer

Ellie, do yo think the Spelling Assessment Manual is worth paying $25 for it? That's how much it will be after shipping. Or could I get by without it?

You could get by without it, but it does have the Morrison-McCall Spelling Scale, which is what you use to assess spelling grade level, as well as forms to help you keep track of your dc's progress. But yes, you could get by without it.

Ah. I am not very concerned about record keeping and grade levels. I am very frugal and broke. I'll go without it.

By the way, it was your influence, Ellie, which lead me to put WRTR on my wishlist on PaperBackSwap. I got it. It covers so much, even at full price it is a steal.

I'm such a Spalding geek. I get chilly bumps when I read it, lol.

Okay, so I don't need to plan to do extra review before testing.

No. I don't do that. Nor do my dc "study" for the Morrison McCall Test.

How is the Morrison McCall test different than the spelling list in WRTR? Is it worth buying?

The manual consists of 8 50-word lists. Each list has words from all sections of the Ayres list.

Ellie, do yo think the Spelling Assessment Manual is worth paying $25 for it? That's how much it will be after shipping. Or could I get by without it?

I almost croaked when I realized that it was going to cost $25. Spalding's shipping prices are rediculous.

You could get by without it, but it does have the Morrison-McCall Spelling Scale, which is what you use to assess spelling grade level, as well as forms to help you keep track of your dc's progress. But yes, you could get by without it.

Ah. I am not very concerned about record keeping and grade levels. I am very frugal and broke. I'll go without it.

I have found the manual useful, but definitely not necessary. Essentially, you could do the same thing by picking out words from each section yourself.

By the way, it was your influence, Ellie, which lead me to put WRTR on my wishlist on PaperBackSwap. I got it. It covers so much, even at full price it is a steal.

Yep, Ellie has helped me out on several occasions. I, too, love this method for spelling, writing, and reading. Both my dc have done so well with it. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but here at my house, we sing high praises about its success. Like Ellie, I feel like a "WRTR" geek.

Hey does this mean we should start a WRTR Geek Club?!:lol: I'm in!!!

God bless,

Jennifer

Hey does this mean we should start a WRTR Geek Club?!:lol: I'm in!!!

God bless,

Jennifer

Yes, I think we should.:lol:

Back in the day, the Morrison-McCall Spelling Scale was a little leaflet. I wish they'd republish just that. Maybe I'll e-mail them and ask. :-)