Menu

about NCAA eligibility...

I found the list of "approved courses" for homeschoolers on the NCAA site, but I can't find anywhere that says, for example, whether Notgrass history is an approved text or source for History. Do you understand what I mean? All I see is names for the courses...English 9, etc. :confused:

I'm trying to plan out high school courses for next year, but don't want to mess up dd's eligibility for college sports. TIA!

-Jen

I am in the middle of this process. In my experience, it hasn't been as bad as it seemed when I first looked at it. Just busywork.

When you send in a transcript at the end of jr year, they will evaluate and approve then. They had no questions about my mom-designed classes like literature and writing (which I just listed as English 9, 10 etc. Simple is best). They did have some questions about boxed curriculum, wanting to know which chapters we covered, etc.

If you have questions about a certain program, you can call and ask. I have heard they are willing to add programs to the "approved list" (which I never have seen either) if you send documentation that it is high school level. I did not have to "prove" anything.

The area I worried about most was lab science so I outsourced to an NCAA approved online course.

Let me know if you have any questions. We have our senior just about there and are starting all the paperwork for our junior.

I called and spoke to Kevin Taylor. He was very helpful and asked me to send him some information but never replied to my email. :tongue_smilie:

I asked him specifically about a physical science class that I am considering for ds. They use:

Focus on Physical Science published by Prentice Hall, ISBN# 0-13-044345X, and Conceptual Physical Science, 3rd edition by Paul Hewitt, ISBN# 0-321-05173-4.

He said that they try to determine from the publisher's website what grade level the texts are considered. In this case, the 1st is considered junior high and the 2nd is considered high school. Then he said that they would need to know what % is used from each. It sounded like if they used > 50% from the high school text, we'd be "safe".

I asked him about Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings. Since the website says grades 7-12, he said that would be fine.

I also asked about a history class my ds (8th grade) is taking that does not use a textbook at all. He said that they would need to see the class syllabus at least. They would need to check out the website and give it the thumbs up or down. That's the one he never got back to me on.

So, if you can figure out if Notgrass is a typical high school text and it is, you should be fine. To be on the safe side, though, call and ask a live person.

HTH!