Menu

how long for kidney stone pain to go away?

Thursday I laid curled up in bed trying to get comfortable until DH dropped me off at the ER. Narcotics are wonderful. A Kidney stone had passed, but there was another 2 mm (small) stone still in there.

I was sent home with vicodin and told to drink a lot of fluids.

Yesterday pain was less, vicodin helped, I took a total of four for the whole day.

This morning no pain, but totally exhausted so I've slept alot. No pain all day and now at 5 p.m. I feel it coming back. :(

Is this in my head. Or is it normal.

I had pains for over 6 weeks but DON'T STRESS!!! They got milder and milder as time went on. A good friend of mine had pain for about 8 weeks before it went away.

Lemon water is supposed to keep the stones from forming. Drink plenty of that.

I'm curious, did you take vitamin D3? I've read opinions on both sides of the coin about Vit. D3 causing stones or making them worse, and it just so happens I was taking it. Scared of it now!

Wel,, once the stones have passed not very long but if you still have a stone it will hurt until it has passed and that can sometimes take awhile (I won't tell you how long). Drink lots of water and take the meds at first sign of definite pain. Don't take calcium at all or drink carbonated beverages (except beer) and lower your consumption of high protein foods. Yes, acidic and drink can help foods can help but water is a must. So sorry. :grouphug:

Is the 2 mm stone in a kidney or in a ureter? Unless it's still sitting in a kidney, I would think that you will continue to have intermittent pain until it passes. Did they give you a screen so that you'll know when/whether it passes?

My 16 yo dd had a 4 mm stone sitting in her right ureter for 3 weeks. She sometimes didn't have any pain for a couple days at a time, then it would come back again. She had surgery to remove it yesterday since it wouldn't come out, but a 2 mm stone will almost always come out on its own. From what the doctors told us, if the stone would have passed, she might have continued to have pain for a couple of days afterward. She still has 6 stones in her kidneys; I kind of wish we didn't know about them because I feel like it's a matter of time until we go through this again. :thumbdown:

I hope you feel better soon.

Wel,, once the stones have passed not very long but if you still have a stone it will hurt until it has passed and that can sometimes take awhile (I won't tell you how long). Drink lots of water and take the meds at first sign of definite pain. Don't take calcium at all or drink carbonated beverages (except beer) and lower your consumption of high protein foods. Yes, acidic and drink can help foods can help but water is a must. So sorry. :grouphug:

My dd's urologist also told her to stop drinking tea (both caff and decaf) because it causes stones.

Is the 2 mm stone in a kidney or in a ureter? Unless it's still sitting in a kidney, I would think that you will continue to have intermittent pain until it passes. Did they give you a screen so that you'll know when/whether it passes?

My 16 yo dd had a 4 mm stone sitting in her right ureter for 3 weeks. She sometimes didn't have any pain for a couple days at a time, then it would come back again. She had surgery to remove it yesterday since it wouldn't come out, but a 2 mm stone will almost always come out on its own. From what the doctors told us, if the stone would have passed, she might have continued to have pain for a couple of days afterward. She still has 6 stones in her kidneys; I kind of wish we didn't know about them because I feel like it's a matter of time until we go through this again. :thumbdown:

I hope you feel better soon.

CT scan showed it still in the kidney on Thursday. So the pain I'm feeling is most likely from the one that passed on Wednesday.

No they didn't give me a screen or anything to catch it.

I'm drinking lots of water. Vicodin helps when the pain gets distracting.

I had pains for over 6 weeks but DON'T STRESS!!! They got milder and milder as time went on. A good friend of mine had pain for about 8 weeks before it went away.

Lemon water is supposed to keep the stones from forming. Drink plenty of that.

I'm curious, did you take vitamin D3? I've read opinions on both sides of the coin about Vit. D3 causing stones or making them worse, and it just so happens I was taking it. Scared of it now!

no vitamin D3.

I've not been taking any vitamins. I do take estrogen and I wonder if that was the cause.

CT scan showed it still in the kidney on Thursday. So the pain I'm feeling is most likely from the one that passed on Wednesday.

The ones in the kidneys don't hurt and might never come out, so it's the one that passed that's causing the pain. Thank goodness for modern painkillers! :grouphug:

I hope my dd doesn't have pain that long! She is in a lot of pain today, but she's hoping to go back to school and start getting back to normal on Monday. She has a stent that is going to be removed on Thursday, so I'm sure that's going to cause more irritation. :glare: