Menu

Self-Education Check In

I need a spring fever punch-in-the-arm. :)

What are YOU reading and studying?

I'm teaching both a life science and unit-based middle school science series right now, so I've been studying a ridiculous amount of biology as well as planning my spring garden, and the fourth quarter botany unit. I'm a plant-killer by nature, so I'm trying to overcome generational bondage here.

It's Lent, so I've chosen to study "justification" as the light-theology topic for the season (LOL). I'm plowing right into the debate between N. T. Wright and John Piper (and landing quickly on the "Wright" side, despite always enjoying a good Piper book). I've also been working my way through The Weight of Glory again, a meaty CS Lewis that I never tire of.

Finally, I have some learning-challenged middle school math students, and I'm pulling out every trick in my book, but am finding the "tricks" are not short-cuts to hard work, and try as I might, I'm not convincing them of the necessity of hard work in mathematics. Spring fever could be encroaching there as well. So, I'm rereading every math-teacher bible I've ever used to good results, and basically writing a special curriculum for my lagging lot. I am exhausted by fractions, decimals and percents. GRIN.

So, what are YOU reading? What passions are you pursuing? Art? Music? Theology? Drama? Dogma?

Lori, who is on round three of antibiotics for now-bronchitis that has never really recovered since the wedding in January...

What an extremely nice question! (And you sound VERY busy.)

Homeschooling science has made me interested in science writing after a lifetime of ignoring it. I have been reading book after book about the Big Bang, the cosmos, evolution, Darwin's life, Einstein and understanding physics (which I don't), and am currently reading "E=mc squared: a biography of an equation."

Also just finished a book on Dorothy Wordsworth, William Wordsworth's sister; "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell; and "Crazy Like Us," a fascinating study of how the U.S. is influencing -- not always for the better -- the way the rest of the world thinks about mental illness and how to "cure" it.

Reading classics ~ I've finished Fahrenheit 451, The Scarlet Letter and am now enjoying The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Science ~ Working my way through The Handbook of Nature Study by Comstock. I am taking notes as I go, planning for a three week camping trip this spring.

Bible ~ Studying the book of James.

History ~ Viewing Stephen Ambrose's documentary Lewis and Clark: Voyage of Discovery while reading his book published by National Geographic with same title. This is in preparation for my daughter's next history unit.

Gardening ~ We will be moving to a new house in the near future, so I too am planning a garden. My dd and I will start seeds soon!

This is my first year of home education and I am falling in love with learning all over again! It seems that I now have a purpose for learning, someone with whom to share my discoveries! ;)

Edited by BettyL

I have always loved to learn. Last summer we went over prehistory and evolution with my daughter. I took a great interest in this topic. Today two awesome books just arrived on Evolution and Prehistoric Life to add to our collection. I've been reading these today.

Other than that, I'm enjoying teaching myself world history, learning Latin, expanding my vocabulary, and reading lots of literature (as well as books on how to read literature). I just started deliberately bettering my self education last month, and started a blog even.

The past week I've been reading about adoption and attachment, as we'll be adopting an older child this year. So my "self-education" didn't get too far this week.

I'm reading and rethinking lots of Bible recently. Not sure why. I'm not religious at all, but for some reason I've been returning to that text lately.

Also, some Dante scholarship for the theses I'm helping with.

The stuff the kids do also tend to require quite some reading and preparation from my side lately (literature, philosophy).

I'm still plugging away at St Augustine's Confessions, a la WEM. *sigh* It's so dull! I've been reading a bit on heirloom sewing recently, but can't quite figure out what it is I need to be able to get started. We're off to an alternative farming expo tomorrow. We haven't been to one in about five years so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the alternative technologies have developed. We're especially interested in solar power and composting loos :)

Rosie

I read Oedipus Rex and Agamemnon and am now reading Herodotus - Histories (WTM 9th grade recommendations).....man, Herodotus (bla, bla) is going to take awhile.

I'm busy with Analytical Grammar, I'm really enjoying it!

I'm working my way through a Dutch high school Latin course, it is going quiet well, although the amount of vocabulary is holding me back. Grammar, no problem, but I seem to have lost my speed with memorizing vocab :lol:. And when I'm too tired to study Latin at night, I read some Lingua Latina.

Books that I have read lately : Aftershock by David Wiedmeyer, This Momentary Marriage by John Piper, Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges, and God's Harvard by Hanna Rosin.

Books that are on my shelf : Unlikely Disciple, Epicenter by Joel Rosenberg

Subjects that I have been studying: Electricity and Magnetism, Corbett's Classical Rhetoric, and Well Trained Mind again

I have been trying to research online classes for next year.

I'm studying the 20th century using Johnson's Modern Times as a core.

For the soul I'm reading Miracles.

I'm also trying to wrap my brain around all that needs to be done as we begin applying to colleges. Can I send you Ben's transcript and application essay for review when the time comes? :D

You know, you could just send me Ben...ECU would be very happy to accept his application. :)

Have you thought about getting the Teaching Company's course on St Augustine. It really enhanced my understanding of that text and made it way more enjoyable to read.

Also, which translation are you using? Some are better than others. Dds and I used 3 different translations when we studied it, Maria Boulding's translation was the one we preferred.

Other than that, I'd suggest you allow yourself not to like it. It would be a dull world if we were all alike.

hth

~Moira

Thanks for asking.

I'm trying to finish up German 2 (OSU German Online) -- dds are way ahead of me -- German IV and III respectively but I'll get there.

I'm slowly working my way through the Teaching Company course Art Across the Ages and have just finished reading the presenter's book Our Sacred Signs. It was really interesting and I learned a lot.

I finished another Teaching Company course History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts last month. I picked this up to work through the first lectures for background to Shakespeare's Henry IV Part I that my girls' Shakespeare company is staging next month. Since I'm British everyone expects me to have this history at my finger tips -- school in England was a long time ago. Anyway it was so engaging that I just kept going.

Finally, I am on the third state of my quest to read a book from each state: Missouri author Evan S. Connell's Mrs Bridge. I need to pick up the pace on this but keep getting distracted by other books. :D

~Moira

LOL How could I forget? I am doing Pimsleur German. I'm actually up to lesson 23!!! I am very proud of myself. I figured out that if I do two lessons each day, overlapping from day to day, I "get" the lesson better. One half hour lesson a day didn't stick, somehow, but doing it this way is much easier. Bigger chunks, I guess.

-Nan

I'm reading (slowly) The Life of Saint Teresa of Avila, using WEM.

I have sort of given up on my KF History "list of facts" project, but maybe will take it up again sometime...

I read through WEM last week and marked up all the parts that tell me what to do and what questions to ask myself for each genre.

I started reading through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, doing the same thing I did with WEM (highlighting the parts that explain or tell me what to do). I'm up to the chapter where the actual exercises begin, and I'm understanding everything so far (yay!).

I'm reading HOAW off and on (and want to buy HOMW soon), and the Self-Teaching Guide to Astronomy off and on.

I'm also trying to wrap my brain around all that needs to be done as we begin applying to colleges. Can I send you Ben's transcript and application essay for review when the time comes? :D

Feel free to ping me at the time, too. I've read for a few people this year; it's a nice payback for all those who helped me at the time!

Now I am going back to my normal study of watercolours. ... I wish the library book that I like best didn't cost $80. I keep getting it out.

What is the title, Nan? Curious minds would like to know!

Regards,

Kareni

I want to succeed in reading Russian authors. Right now I'm reading The Gambler by Dostoevsky hoping that I can launch from this to his Brothers Karamazov. I started Brothers years ago and could not get through it. I got so bogged down in the names and the variations of each name that I could not keep the characters straight. But Brothers is so rich in ideas (one particular scene I love is where Ivan(?) is discussing what it means to love ones neighbor) making me want to succeed in reading it. I've listened to Crime and Punishment on CD which was probably easier than reading it. From Dostoevsky, I'll move on to Tolstoy (War & Peace, and maybe one of his philosophical works). All this while I'm trying to get all my continuing education completed before July:tongue_smilie:

Well, I've just started the Liping Ma book on teaching mathematics. I'm finding that it raises lots of questions in my mind like how possible it is to compare two disparate educational systems.

I've also been teetering on the edge of teaching my kids beginning algebra, so I'm poking through a variety of math texts to help solidify in my mind what the mathematical statements relate to in the real world.

I am about half way through Pilgrim's Progress, but I've stalled and need to pick it up again.

Superfreakenomics and The Road to Serfdom for political/economics insight (Serfdom is really good, but I can only absorb a couple pages a day).

For fun, the most recent Elizabeth Peabody mystery and a book from the Patrick O'Brian Aubery/Maturin series.

I finished another Teaching Company course History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts last month. I picked this up to work through the first lectures for background to Shakespeare's Henry IV Part I that my girls' Shakespeare company is staging next month. Since I'm British everyone expects me to have this history at my finger tips -- school in England was a long time ago. Anyway it was so engaging that I just kept going.

~Moira

Have you read any of Sharon Kaye Penman's books on British history? Definitely a spoonful of sugar to make the history go down. I think at least one of her books touches on Henry IV and I know that she had a book on Richard III.

I know what you mean about names confusing you. I remember reading half way through The Grapes of Wrath and never realizing that Rose of Sharon and Rosasharn were the same character.

Russian books are great candidates for character lists with first, last and patronymic. Maybe even notes on nick names.

Good luck. I had longed for years to read through Anna Karenina. Actually had that on my list of things to do when I was out of the military. About half way through I realized that I really didn't like Anna much.

It's packed, so I can't tell you exactly. Something about atmousphere atmosphere? Maybe I should study spelling LOL. I found a nice list of spelling rules that is improving my spelling just by reading them! Talk about things being faster to learn as an adult! Why they didn't teach these in school is beyond me...

More things keep occurring to me LOL. I've been studying a bit of recorder. I have to get better at those high sharps and flats. I learned some new rests, too. The William Byrd piece we played Fri. had some of the symbols for really long ones, and some extra long notes, also. It was in cut time, with no measure bars, and some syncopation. I didn't do very well on it GRIN. I also just read Outlier and Blink and next I'll read Tipping Point. Obviously, this year I could have done that reading challenge that required that you study something in depth. This is always a time of reading non-fiction for me. Soon, the peacewalking season will start and I'll stop reading. When we are sailing in the summer, I read fiction. In the fall I am busy and not reading much again, except to go to sleep, once I stop reading every second to recover from the shock of moving off the boat. I've discovered a lovely way to make Emma last and last - listen to it in French as you are going to sleep. I can listen to each chapter over and over because I only get about half the words, since the reader goes fast. Let's see. What else? I'm working on how to improve my memory. If only I could find a way to aquire an eidedic eidetic? memory. My youngest wants to do that, too. Kim's game is the only thing I can think of. I've been reading bits of writing books, to try to figure out how to teach my youngest. And I'm in the middle of reading Rupunzel in Latin. And in the middle of MacBeth with my mother and son.

-Nan

I got so bogged down in the names and the variations of each name that I could not keep the characters straight. But Brothers is so rich in ideas (one particular scene I love is where Ivan(?) is discussing what it means to love ones neighbor) making me want to succeed in reading it.

You might wish to try keeping a notebook with you and writing down the variations of the names, as well as drawing connections between the characters, for Dostoevsky. He reads much, much smoother that way for people who aren't speakers of Slavic languages and thus don't instantly "get" who is who.

(Just don't apply the same technique on Tolstoy's "War and Peace" :lol: So many superficial characters are part of the point of the work, and you can freely miss the subtleties of some relations between them or nicknames, BUT, Dostoevsky works on the principle of a few major characters, and it's really good to get those down very clearly.)

The Brothers Karamazov is an amazing work, it's my favorite Dostoevsky, you can really hear the dialogue of ideas in there. If you're into more theoretical approach and understanding Dostoevsky better, I highly recommend Bakhtin's works.

Have you thought about getting the Teaching Company's course on St Augustine. It really enhanced my understanding of that text and made it way more enjoyable to read.

Also, which translation are you using? Some are better than others. Dds and I used 3 different translations when we studied it, Maria Boulding's translation was the one we preferred.

I haven't the money to spend so I'm using the Penguin Classics version since that's what was in the library. I've already gathered it's not a particularly good translation. I read Jostein Gaarder's 'Vita Brevis' which was far more enjoyable, but it has really made me want to rush through Confessions just to get it over with. Ah well :)

Rosie

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Atmosphere-Mood-Watercolor-Ingredients/dp/1929834179/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266720138&sr=1-4

$297 !!! Obviously, I should have bought it when I found it for $80! Sigh.

-Nan

Ouch! I do see that he has a couple of dvds that appear more reasonably priced. See here for details.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm still plugging away at St Augustine's Confessions, a la WEM. *sigh* It's so dull!

Rosie

I am also slogging through the Confessions. Yawn. I purchased the audio download of these lectures last month when they were on sale, and it helps. (Now that I read the rest of the thread, I see that someone already suggested that.)

I am also reading Crime and Punishment, and reviewing some Latin.

I've been looking at soc/econ: The Post- American World a couple of weeks ago and now I'm reading Micro-Trends and Who's Your City.

I've been doing lots of reserch on kitchens and baths and looking at blue prints for our house re-build- it is kinda self-ed. Can I count this cause it's taking up lots of time.

Researching the Creative Economy and how to monetize our knowledge to create a life-style that allows us more flex and freedom (I've been at this one for awhile.) Wow. That all sounds really practical, but I feel like I'm learning tons by the reading I've been doing....

We have a composting loo on our boat. So far, it has been a success. When it wasn't leaking. Better than a holding tank, though.

Nan - how does this work? What sort of "tank" size do you need? I'm thinking that it would need to be a good size?

Miranda

ETA - sorry, I'm not very good qt quoting from previous posts. The first line is a quote from Nan's post...

When this post first started, I wasn't doing anything but things have changed now. I am reading Walden by Thoreau and am reading articles written by Emmerson and Robert Louis Stevenson about Thoreaus. They are very interesting. I am hoping to re-start (for the third time) Henle Latin. I am also listening to TC lectures on Shakespeare: Word and Action.

Now that I'm almost done with my degree I want to go back and learn, well, what I want to learn and what I think will be useful. Going to continue with my reading list, I really want to start Henle Latin (but my wallet my hold me back for a while, lol), and if I can find some decent copies cheap enough I'll probably invest in some Math books. I've always had a horrible time with math and never *got* it due to teachers that didn't teach the way I learned. I need to get back to my bible study as well.

I am nervously joining in here. I borrowed a copy of WEM and hope to buy my own copy soon and just ordered Don Quixote. I have been slowly working through Henle with my teens and plan to conitnue that as well. I hope to work on some other things too but right now this is all the time I have.

For the last year or so, I've been trying to read Paul Krugman's column every Tues and Sat in The Hindu (our newspaper here in India). I learn so much from him, and I'm hoping to order a few of his books next month. I wish I had been reading him for years. I feel so clueless about economics. Dr. Krugman has a way of writing about it in a way that even I am able to understand (mostly). I am also encouraging dd to read him, and dh catches his column when he can.

I'm starting to sew again after about a 15 year hiatus. Mainly period clothing from the turn of the century. It has taken a lot of research and study in my "spare" hours (ha-ha).

On the academic front I am spending a good amount of time keeping up with (slightly ahead of) my 9th grader in Biology, Latin, and Math. It has been a long time since I've visited those subjects with any seriousness.

I don't know if this counts or not, but I bought Joe Satriani's Crystal Planet anthology for guitar several months ago and am working through it. :svengo: I then went and bought Journey's anthology too with all of Neal Schon's guitar parts for something a bit easier to work with when I get completely overwhelmed and scared with Joe's stuff. :eek:

I just got done reading four or five books about teens and study skills and academic motivation. Now I am going back to my normal study of watercolours. Phew! Much more fun. I wish the library book that I like best didn't cost $80. I keep getting it out.

-Nan

Nan, would you mind sharing which books you've just read on teens/study skills/academic motivation? I'm finding I need a shot in the arm with my own 9th grade son, but since I will be returning to co-op teaching next year rather than administration, I may be revitalizing my material on study skills for a class I teach to teens.

I'm starting to sew again after about a 15 year hiatus. Mainly period clothing from the turn of the century. It has taken a lot of research and study in my "spare" hours (ha-ha).

On the academic front I am spending a good amount of time keeping up with (slightly ahead of) my 9th grader in Biology, Latin, and Math. It has been a long time since I've visited those subjects with any seriousness.

I have a good friend whose family volunteers regularly at the Tryon Palace (NC's original capitol seat), in period clothing. She sews all of her things authentically, by hand. Her oldest child is the chief costumer at Tryon, and has a degree in fiber arts. Anyway, I've sworn for the six years we've lived in this house (with columns, in georgian-style) that I needed to make antebellum garb for the family for our Christmas photo. :)

I am trying desperately to keep up with ds in Latin, Greek, Algebra. I hope to read some suggestions from WEM over the summer.

I need a spring fever punch-in-the-arm. :)

Lori, who is on round three of antibiotics for now-bronchitis that has never really recovered since the wedding in January...