Menu

Art History

to you right now, but we're designing one. There are huge numbers of really fine Art History textbooks, all levels, with CDs, for sale, very cheaply, on the used market. Also, Gombrich's looks neat, but not sure if my son will like it. My college sophomore daughter is wanting to direct her little brother, in this, since one of her majors is art history. We shall see how that goes. She will include much sketching on the go, while in museums, as part of his course, as she loves it. We have discussed two increments that we're not sure of how much a part they will play in the course: analysis of art which will require a "what is art?" study and maybe practice, and how much to focus on how history affects art, aligned with a world history study.

Good luck,

LBS

Edited by LBS

Understanding Art, Miller is what my ds used in 9th grade which includes art history - he did this for 1/2 semester credit; it did include drawing as well as art history.

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/art/understanding_art/index.php

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Understanding-Art/McGraw-Hill/e/9780078465291/?itm=1&usri=understanding+art

We use A Child's History of Art series (3 books) in middle school.

Hewitt Homeschooling offers an inexpensive History of Art Syllabus. The text is The Story of Art byE.H. Gombrich.

The syllabus offers a list of objectives for each quarter,a list of projects, and 4 quarterly tests. Each quarter it is suggested that the student complete the reading, the test, write a 2-3 page paper on either a work of art or an artist and complete a project. your daughter could substitute any of the drawing projects with one of the writing projects. You would have an elective that would fulfill her interest and be affordable.

Hewitt Homeschooling offers an inexpensive History of Art Syllabus. The text is The Story of Art byE.H. Gombrich.

The syllabus offers a list of objectives for each quarter,a list of projects, and 4 quarterly tests. Each quarter it is suggested that the student complete the reading, the test, write a 2-3 page paper on either a work of art or an artist and complete a project. your daughter could substitute any of the drawing projects with one of the writing projects. You would have an elective that would fulfill her interest and be affordable.

This is what we are using and my boys love it. Just beware that the answers do not come with it nor will Hewitt give me them when I asked. They consider the syllabus for use with their course and their instructors (unlike some other courses they offer).

Oak Meadow's Study of Art Course uses The Study of Art by Gombrich is really good. Here's a link to the OM electives sample. Scroll down to the sample for The Study of Art. The syllabus lessons do include basic drawing & painting assignments, but you can skip those & only doe the written work.

Oak Meadow's The Study of Art--scroll to the correct section.

Several years ago, I looked over the high school level programming for art history that BJU offers. It looked very good at that time. I just looked at their website and at least the covers of the books have changed, so I'm not sure if the programming has changed, or not. (I don't know if you're looking for something secular or not....?)

There are numerous good art history things available that would allow you to put together your own curriculum for him, if you would be interested in that. Here's just one page that lists some good resources:

http://www.learningthings.com/items.asp?Cc=BJU%2DART&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

I've used Eyewitness books for years. Other DK and Usborne books are good, as well. Some people don't like Sister Wendy, but I think she does a great job with explaining art works in a most pragmatic way, LOL, even modern art! She made videos years ago for each major period of art. I don't know if those are still available, or not.

I made up a course for my daughter and at the end she took the AP Art History exam and scored a 5.

She used Walch Publishing's book on 35 famous artists (not sure of the exact title) and David Quine's Art Curriculum and Annotated Mona Lisa (her favorite - we took it out the public library but eventually bought it). She watched most of Sister Wendy's videos on European Art and the Teaching Company videos on the Louvre. And I found a test prep book on Amazon that she went through before writing the exam.

Meryl

a list of artists, starting with WTM list and adding other favorites, organized them historically, then started studying them. At first I tried to match it with our history program but as you can imagine, the ancients and middle age info is fairly scanty compared to the last 400 years, so it is not matched but still chronological. Once we hit the Renaissance, we would generally look at one artist a week, unless we had too little, then we would do two.

The most interesting part I find are the artists that show what life was like in their time...so while you have these very well dressed people of the Renaissance (primarily) some of the Dutch painters later on gave more insight into daily life. We really enjoyed Jan Steen, for example. Art history took on a different meaning. Millet, Anker (not well known Swiss painter)... There are some others but I'll have to get out my list and edit this later.

We used many of the books listed above Annotated Mona Lisa, Story of Painting (don't like the text that much), History of Art by Janson, lots of art books from the library about individual artists, The Glory of the Golden Age (very good text but too expensive for just that time period and it has furniture, etc - we received ours). Also I have cut out all articles about artists I find interesting (lots) from whatever magazines or newspapers we are receiving for the past 20 years, save all the stuff from museums where we would also buy lots of postcards, bought the set of Fandex cards with artists which then go on the timeline when we study them...I would put the pics, articles, etc in a separate plastic notebook page for each artist and those are organized chronologically so it is easy to access).

We used to do art projects with the artists from Discovering the Great Artists but those are too simple now.

(I'll edit this more).

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

Janson's History of Art. It's Western-centered, though, but I really found it to be an excellent source. We don't do formally art history yet, but I plan to rely on this, and I also remember I studied for my high school exams with it. It has about a thousand pages, but it's high quality print, with pictures, and it's very very worth it. The essays are also excellent, everything is wonderfully explained. Not aimed at kids or teens, but they shouldn't have problems using it, as a supplement if nothing else.

that dc really like the

"warm-up" part of our class...that is when we get out books like

Louvre Close-Up and they race to see who can find the pieces of the picture that are in the reproduction...

These books have large reproductions, of a pretty good quality, with almost no text, presented chronologically. Around each picture, there are little circles with a small item that is within the painting.

There are others like the Louvre one. They help the dc get their blood circulating and get them looking for details. There is also a different type called Art Fraud...these are smaller reproductions with an almost exact replica where they have changed a few details..they race to see who can find the changes first...

We just look at the picture associated with the artist to be studied that day.

This is not 'high' level examination, but seems to prepare them for it...

Probably you could find them at the library...

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva