Menu

x-post: Parents in College?

I've finally decided that I want to further MY education (as if I haven't already by schooling my children)! So, I'm looking into getting a Masters degree.

Have any of you other homeschooling parents/guardians done this, as well? Even while homeschooling? Why did you decide to do it? Did you pursue it one course at a time? What about that pursuit helped you with educating your kids? What completely surprised you about the journey?

I look forward to reading your answers to those questions! (Thanks!)

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well. We homeschooled for seven years before enrolling our three kids in a private school. I'm going back to school myself.

My middle daughter has asked me about homeschooling her next year; she isn't really excited about attending our local public school, but she's also uncertain about being homeschooled again (i.e., we have no homeschool group to speak of, and she's very sociable). As a parent, I've wondered how I could do this myself. Although I only have two classes, one of them is graduate level, and I can hardly imagine being any busier than I am right now. We literally have activities every night after school, from Monday through Friday, plus there's the daily drive to and from school (which generally takes over an hour, round-trip).

So, how do others balance homeschooling and going back to school themselves?

I started in Sept '08 as an education major. My previous credits didn't transfer (my own fault, nothing to do with the schools involved). I did 22 credits the first term, 17 the second. 3rd term was only 8. This term should be 13-16 though I'd love it to be more...maybe this summer I can get a bit more done.

BTW, I am using a regionally and nationally accredited program online. That allows me to work in spurts which is much better for me as I'm working and homeschooling and running a household.

I started in Sept '08 as an education major. My previous credits didn't transfer (my own fault, nothing to do with the schools involved). I did 22 credits the first term, 17 the second. 3rd term was only 8. This term should be 13-16 though I'd love it to be more...maybe this summer I can get a bit more done.

How on earth did you do 22 credits? I need a fainting smiley! One of the moms in my grad. ed. class in St. Louis was taking 21 credits--I was stunned! She has 4 daughters and lives in another state, but she is living in St. Louis with one daughter, who is deaf. She is going back to school to get her 2nd master's degree in deaf education, while her husband stays with the other daughters and takes them to school and their various activities. Apparently their school district has one deaf ed. teacher, who is also employed by almost half a dozen other school districts. So, this highly-motivated mom is going back to school full-time so that she can help teach her daughter at home, if need be.

I am amazed---and I thought I was busy!