Menu

Perplexities of college mail

Okay I will admit it, dd did not do well on the PSAT. She particularly did not do well on the math section. So why in the world is she getting college mail from tech and engineering schools? She marked undecided for her major. But even if she had marked engineering, a below average math score should not be particularly attractive to an engineering school. We aren't worried since it just turns out that dd is particularly not well suited to the SAT and particularly well suited to the ACT. Her practice math scores on the ACT have been much better and her composite tremendously better. But it still begs the question- why would any engineering school be interested in a child not asking about it and having a 47% score in math?

That is just mean, they scout you to turn you down, how crushing is that.

I remember going through this with my older daughter 3-4 years ago and reading an essay asserting exactly that. On one hand it really ticked me off, but on the other hand, awareness made it easier for her to keep things in perspective. We found out that the literature is essentially meaningless.

Barb

LOL! I was just coming here to post a similar question. Although ds (11th) did quite well on the PSAT (192), he is nowhere near Brown University potential IMO. We have been getting all sorts of letters from those classified as "most selective" schools (Brown, University of Chicago, Washington University at St. Louis). I was wondering if they were just sending these in the hopes of getting our hopes up and having us fork over the application fees! With all the budget cut backs, they could do quite well on application fees :D

We can't figure out how/why dd#2 is getting e-mails @ my address. She took the ACT a year ago (sent to no-one), didn't take the PSAT, the cc has her addy (so it's not coming through them). . .The only thing we can figure is the ACT from where I registered her or from when dd#1 was in the process & they ask for younger siblings names & ages.

LOL! I was just coming here to post a similar question. Although ds (11th) did quite well on the PSAT (192), he is nowhere near Brown University potential IMO. We have been getting all sorts of letters from those classified as "most selective" schools (Brown, University of Chicago, Washington University at St. Louis). I was wondering if they were just sending these in the hopes of getting our hopes up and having us fork over the application fees! With all the budget cut backs, they could do quite well on application fees :D

I wonder if it's a function of demographics. Lots of tech/engineering schools desperately want to attract more girls so they reach out to young ladies who mark "undecided". I'm also just guessing here, but maybe Brown University (in Rhode Island) is looking for more students from OK? Or maybe they are just looking to boost numbers of applications as someone else said.

Brenda

to make themselves look better.

One of the colleges dd looked at had a very low acceptance rate, which just didn't make sense with their average freshman SAT scores. For that low an acceptance rate, I'd have expected a much higher median 50th percentile SAT score range in the freshman class, by comparison with other, similar schools.

Turns out they had hired a emailing service to contact students and were getting a lot more applicants using the new service, many of whom were not really interested in the school but were just doing it because they could.

My dd has not been experiencing what you have experienced, but we keep laughing at her college mail, received from taking the ACT.

She listed her major. She has no plans to change that major. Only about 10% of the universities that are contacting her offer her major. Why are they wasting their time and money emailing her and sending her so much advertising? She just laughs and throws it away.