Menu

Please Help! Can't find AP Testing Location in GA!

Hi,

I've been a lurker of the boards for almost 10 years. I don't post much, if at all. But, I need help. I've tried so hard to do the very best I can providing opportunities for my kids. We researched colleges, and many of them sort of discriminated against homeschoolers by requiring extra testing, etc., so I responded by tailoring a curriculum that included SAT subject tests & AP courses. Now, I have found out the hard way that every school I have called WILL NOT let us test at their school, including Christian/Catholic private schools. It has me really frustrated that my son, who has an A in both of these courses, will not be able to even have the opportunity to prove himself on the test, because the tests are allowed to be controlled by the schools, rather than given at testing centers.

I have called dozens of schools in my state, Georgia. No luck. Obviously, there are hundreds of schools in GA. So, if anyone has had luck with a particular school district or school, PLEASE let me know. I have been in tears all day after receiving all of the rejection phone calls/emails.

Thanks!

Oh, and the courses he has been taken are at PA Homeschoolers: Comparative Gov't & Computer Science A.

Sorry you are having such a hard time. Have you tried calling the college board for a list of schools in GA offering those courses?

They aren't the most popular ones so you may just be hitting a rarity problem rather than the schools being hostile. Maybe the people you have spoken to don't realize they are offered at the same time as French Language and Spanish Language respectively. If they offer those exams they may be willing to add your son in.

Another suggestion is to offer to pay for the proctor yourself.

HTH

~Moira

Hi Moira, thanks for replying. Yes, I did call the College Board, that is where I got the names of the schools. Each school I called is offering the courses I need, & each schools name was given to me by the College Board. I didn't want to waste time with so many schools out there, & knowing that the courses he took are the more rare ones, so I only called schools that were definitely offering the test this spring. So, I am at a loss. I started with private schools because I was specifically told by the College Board that they are more friendly to homeschoolers. The sheer number of public schools is daunting, especially not knowing if they've ever helped homeschoolers in the past. I was hoping a GA resident could perhaps point me in the right direction as far as school districts.

I would even be willing to drive to a north Florida school as well. I'm really praying someone has taken an AP test somewhere in FL or GA that was friendly to homeschoolers.

Thanks again!

Wow, what a pain. It seems really unfair. If they are offering the test, did they tell you why he can't just come and sit in and take the test with his own code? I have a child in 7th grade right now, and I am already kinda worried about this. Perhaps you should call back and speak to someone higher up. I have actually even thought about calling schools already and asking about whether they'll let my child test there. I think CLEP tests are offered at testing centers, but I know those aren't the same as AP tests.

Florida like Virginia have laws that AP tests have to be made available to homeschoolers. Is there anything like that in Georgia? I assume that since you are asking about FLorida that you live in southern GA. If you aren't far from Florida, I would call schools there. Since it is a state law for them to provide the test for local homeschoolers, they may be more likely to include your child too. After all, we pay for the test and they don't need anymore monitors for another student.

You might have found this link by now but if not, it's VERY helpful for tracking down what you need. We used it to be assured that our only local ps was offering the AP's that we needed. Still a good idea to call the school and confirm though (ask me how I know this?!)

https://apcourseaudit.epiconline.org/ledger/

Mary

Thanks Mary, that's exactly the link I used to help filter out schools that I knew wouldn't offer the test. I'm glad you post it though, as it may help someone else.

Wow, what a pain. It seems really unfair. If they are offering the test, did they tell you why he can't just come and sit in and take the test with his own code? I have a child in 7th grade right now, and I am already kinda worried about this. Perhaps you should call back and speak to someone higher up. I have actually even thought about calling schools already and asking about whether they'll let my child test there. I think CLEP tests are offered at testing centers, but I know those aren't the same as AP tests.

Yes, it really is unfair, as it doesn't cost them a dime. I tried to do my due diligence when my son told me he wanted to take these courses. We have ONE school in the area that is friendly to homeschoolers and he said we could take the test there at his school after I told him I really needed to know if they would let him test before I paid for the courses. Then, 2 weeks later, he said he miscommunicated & said he could only offer tests for the courses they offer at the school. By the time he emailed me back, I had already paid for the classes. :glare:

So... here we are. I definitely recommend you check things out beforehand.

I have only lived in GA for a year. Before that I lived in FL for 15 years. I have had nothing but trouble here in GA. The homeschooling law is less restrictive (all they care about is attendance, & only test every 3 years), but they do not offer nearly the benefits to homeschoolers that FL did. They treat you with suspicion here, and somewhat like you are an enemy to be competed with. It hasn't been a good experience.

Florida like Virginia have laws that AP tests have to be made available to homeschoolers. Is there anything like that in Georgia? I assume that since you are asking about FLorida that you live in southern GA. If you aren't far from Florida, I would call schools there. Since it is a state law for them to provide the test for local homeschoolers, they may be more likely to include your child too. After all, we pay for the test and they don't need anymore monitors for another student.

Wow, this may be my only hope. Thank you so much for posting this. I will definitely check this out. In fact, many FL cities are closer to us than big GA cities, like Atlanta.

I'm really hoping this will be the thing that will save us. Thanks again so much!

Can anyone from FL chime in on this?

Whatever happens I will update on it. Perhaps it can help someone in the future.

In response to WTM 4 8:

===============

While there is still time, could you download information manual from College Board and read page 24

Link is:

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/ap-coordinators-manual.pdf

Page 24 in the above manual refers to

"Homeschooled Students and Students Whose Schools Do Not Offer AP Exams"

I am quoting 2 guidelines from page 24:

1) "Students should contact AP Services no later than

March 1 to get the names and telephone numbers of

local AP Coordinators whose schools are administering

the AP Exams they plan to take. Prior to calling, students

should prepare a list of the exams they plan to take so

that the schools and AP Coordinators can be

easily identified."

2) "Students should contact the AP Coordinators identified

by AP Services no later than March 15. Students

should inform the Coordinator they contact that they

want to locate a school willing to administer the AP Exams

they plan to take. They will be using their own school’s

code or the state homeschool code, ensuring that their

exam grade(s) will be reported separately from the

school at which they test."

It appears that you already have done things that you need to do, yet if you could browse other relevant pages that might be useful. I know from other forums that College Board supports the idea of kids taking AP tests.

My best wishes for you and your child.

Best regards.

MPCTutor

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

AP Calculus, AP Physics, Singapore Math Grades 7-12

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

US Central Time: 7:05 PM 2/18/2010

Like you, I have been lurking here for many years and have never posted. But I can help with this question. My son took an AP course (Human Geography) last year through the Gwinnett County School System. They were very helpful and it was very easy to get him signed up. I don't have the contact information anymore (we now live in Florida) but I did get the contact information from the College Board. Gwinnett County is near Atlanta so I don't know how far from you it is, but it may work for you.

Cindy

my dd took PHA's AP Economics and we could not find a school anywhere within a 100 mile radius that offered the course. I contacted the counselor of the high school of the county to which we submit our attendance records. I told him my dd needed to take the AP Economics test and which day it was supposed to be taken. He ordered one copy of the test and had my dd take the test in his office. She was the only student taking an AP test of any kind that day, but he worked with us. Have you approached the counselors of your school system to ask about this option? They are suppose to work with you on this. They get to use your tax dollars for their students. We still had to pay for the test ($80 I believe), but he administered the test no problem.

Like you, I have been lurking here for many years and have never posted. But I can help with this question. My son took an AP course (Human Geography) last year through the Gwinnett County School System. They were very helpful and it was very easy to get him signed up. I don't have the contact information anymore (we now live in Florida) but I did get the contact information from the College Board. Gwinnett County is near Atlanta so I don't know how far from you it is, but it may work for you.

Cindy

Thanks Cindy! I will call them & check it out. I really appreciate you letting me know.

my dd took PHA's AP Economics and we could not find a school anywhere within a 100 mile radius that offered the course. I contacted the counselor of the high school of the county to which we submit our attendance records. I told him my dd needed to take the AP Economics test and which day it was supposed to be taken. He ordered one copy of the test and had my dd take the test in his office. She was the only student taking an AP test of any kind that day' date=' but he worked with us. Have you approached the counselors of your school system to ask about this option? They are suppose to work with you on this. They get to use your tax dollars for their students. We still had to pay for the test ($80 I believe), but he administered the test no problem.[/quote']

I have not done that, but I definitely will. It should be interesting. They aren't very friendly to homeschoolers here, or at least I have been told that. I've only lived here a year and a half, but my experience hasn't been great so far. I will call anyway & see what happens. Thanks for letting me know about this option.