Menu

Pull-ups for travel?

Ils are taking dc on a short weekend trip. I'm so thrilled for them to get to go, & 2yo is just big enough to make the cut, lol.

BUT...while she was a breeze to potty train (because she's so independent, she basically just decided that was what she was going to do), she's been having a lot of accidents lately. Mom was on the phone w/ me last week & said it seems like it's about one/day.

Now...2yo was sick during the period mom's talking about, but she has been having a lot of accidents, & I *don't* want to make things any harder for ils. This week, we've been paying attention, giving her stickers every time she goes, & she's been dry for 3 days. She definitely *can* do it.

W/ 2yo, I've been pretty adamant about not wanting to put her back in diapers. She's got a personality that would see how much easier that is for *her* & just. quit. Kwim? So we did the stickers instead, & she thinks that's great.

For a road trip, though...it's a 6hr drive, 2 nights, fil is giving a concert, & then there's the drive home. That's an awful lot to get right potty-wise, & cleaning up a wet toddler (& potentially a wet car) sounds awful. Mil is better about remembering to take her than I am, but still--she's not the one who's here every day.

So given 2yo's personality & the situation--do you think pull-ups might be a good compromise, just for travel? I'm paranoid, lol, because when 9yo was potty training, he kind-of relapsed, & so we started using pull-ups, & he basically quit using the potty chair. He was still out of diapers/pull ups before he was 3, so it wasn't really an issue, I've just always felt like we contributed to the problem by using disposable underwear.

Ok, so now that I'm *sure* that I'm totally overthinking this, wwyd? :lol:

Pull-ups!! Don't make it difficult or worry for your ILs... You do want them to have "sweet thought" about the trip. If you have time to order cloth pull ups and want to... that could be an answer... http://getantsy.com/

But, either way.... I'd do something. Maybe "forget" to get pull-ups back from ILs when they come back? No more pullups...

Carrie:-)

Pull-ups!! Don't make it difficult or worry for your ILs... You do want them to have "sweet thought" about the trip. If you have time to order cloth pull ups and want to... that could be an answer... http://getantsy.com/

But, either way.... I'd do something. Maybe "forget" to get pull-ups back from ILs when they come back? No more pullups...

Carrie:-)

Well, this is a spur-of-the-moment trip; I think they're leaving tomorrow. Cloth pull-ups would still present the same problem of wet underwear to deal w/.

And you're right--I *do* want them to have good thoughts about the trip! They only had 2 dc & started a little bit later, so I KNOW 4dc scares them. They're really great about it, though, & they've kept all 4 for short periods of time, & they've taken the big 2 on trips, but this will be their first forray into the land of more-than-2. Their car will be FULL, lol. And I want them to come home thinking, Wow. That was easier than I thought!

Because then they might do it again. :lol:

At that age, we did do pull ups on long car trips mainly for if they fell asleep and we missed the window. We didn't really have any problems. If I were going to be there I might feel differently but I would definitely do it with the grandparents as long as they will still make her go. I wouldn't want it if the kids were just going to be going in the pull up and not still going potty on the trip.

Here's my idea: pull ups (the paper ones) with big girl panties over them -- with an explanation (age appropriate) as to why you are doing this.

My now 30 yr old DD (who will LOVE that I am telling this) announced to me when she was 19 months old that she was not going to wear diapers any more -- she walked out of her room with training pants in her hand, and that was the end of the diapers. There were still times, however, when we had to make 'adjustments' for time and distance and the like.

Good luck!:)

And I want them to come home thinking, Wow. That was easier than I thought!

Because then they might do it again. :lol:

Then DEFINITELY do the pull-ups.

-Bethany

(who loves my four to bits, but would just about give anything for my inlaws to take all of them for the weekend. Moose wouldn't have it. :glare: :D)

Here's my idea: pull ups (the paper ones) with big girl panties over them -- with an explanation (age appropriate) as to why you are doing this.

My now 30 yr old DD (who will LOVE that I am telling this) announced to me when she was 19 months old that she was not going to wear diapers any more -- she walked out of her room with training pants in her hand, and that was the end of the diapers. There were still times, however, when we had to make 'adjustments' for time and distance and the like.

Good luck!:)

We've started doing this at night. She *can* stay dry all night, but she inevitably wets herself first thing in the morning.

But...there's another side note kind of problem. Our washer quit again. She's wearing her only clean pair of panties now. I could absolutely handwash a few for her, but...just for the sake of covering up pull-ups? I guess I'd rather not. :001_huh: But I'll at least think about it. How's that? :D

This is sounding more & more like I already had my mind made up. Sorry--I don't mean it that way. Dh & I weren't sure if it was a good idea for 2yo to go at all. We were kind-of surprised his parents were ok w/ it. And so we've been brainstorming whether or not to send her & how to make it work if we do.

And if *I* were going in *my* car, it would be a different conversation. :001_smile:

Then DEFINITELY do the pull-ups.

-Bethany

(who loves my four to bits, but would just about give anything for my inlaws to take all of them for the weekend. Moose wouldn't have it. :glare: :D)

Well, she's only going to have the 3 for this weekend, but we figure we can work her up to 4 w/ things like good, solid potty-training. :lol:

She has kept them overnight once or twice. She brings fil & calls her sister for back-up. I know 4 is kind-of overwhelming, but I don't think I've ever met anyone more committed to being up to the task. She's really great.

Dh was the one who wanted 2yo to go--he was home sick a lot of last week & got more time w/ the kids than usual. Having seen what 2yo's like when it's not dinner/bedtime freak-out (which is mostly orchestrated by 1yo), he wants his parents to get more of that, too. Esp since we might, you know, be moving to Malaysia soon.

I would do pullups for the car ride part (and maybe bed too) but not the rest of the time if MIL is good about reminding about bathroom trips.

When DD was 2 and out of pullups we still put her in pullups for our long drives to visit grandparents. She fell asleep in the car on those trips and while she was good about it while awake she would still pee if she fell asleep so it wasn't worth the hassle/mess to not put her in them. But as soon as we got where we were going we went back to underwear.

I would get her the underwear-like big girls pullups. I would not tell her it's okay to pee in them. If she has an accident, I'd act like I would if she peed in her regular undies. Just basically don't tell her she's in diapers, but make it much easier for the ils to clean up a mess and protect their car.

I would get her the underwear-like big girls pullups. I would not tell her it's okay to pee in them. If she has an accident, I'd act like I would if she peed in her regular undies. Just basically don't tell her she's in diapers, but make it much easier for the ils to clean up a mess and protect their car.

See, that's kind-of what I was thinking. I might call them travel-panties, but still treat it like the real thing.

She told me recently, Sometimes I go potty in the sink.

And I'm aghast, & I said, Not really??

She giggled & said, No. Sometimes I go potty in the bath.

Me: Not really?

Her: No. Sometimes I go potty right there. And she points to the floor by the toilet where I've found suspicious yellow puddles I couldn't explain.

She's sweet but, um, a crazy kind of handful. She sat on a load of clean laundry the other morning & wet on them. She came running up to me at the computer a few days ago, saying, I pottied on your chair, Mama! And you know that vague, cold feeling that only gradually dawns on you as wet? Yep.

She says it's not gross. I overheard her aruing w/ dh about it one night. :lol:

We used to take the training potty w/us for long trips. But, we had a van, we wouldnt sit them on the side of the road.

I hated potty training, my technique was put a potty in the room she was in and let her run around nekkie and go when needed. Well, she basically was a dog, peeing freely and hardly ever making it in potty. What a mess.

Needless to say, the second one was not taught like that.

Well, they're back, & dd only had one accident--when she didn't want to use a scary bathroom, lol. But the pull-ups didn't hold! Mil & fil ended up buying her a souvenir t-shirt because they had left all the extra clothes at the hotel. I felt so sorry for them having to deal w/ that & *annoyed* at the pull-ups! I mean--what's the point??

But it gets worse! :lol: The last night they were there, dd was up all night throwing up. Ils looked exhausted--tg she didn't throw up in the car on the way home, too. I asked ds9 about the trip & how he & the other 2 behaved.

He said, "A was pretty good, except for throwing up." Yep. I guess I'd better put her in time-out, huh? :lol:

But I think it was just crazy rd food, because she seems fine now, but tired. Ils say they had a good time & want to do it again. I guess we'll have to wait & see if by "again" they mean "w/ all 3" or "big kids only." :001_huh: