Menu

Does our solar system have a formal name?

I think you may be able to find this information in Star Trek trivia. Because is only when you bravely go where no man has gone before and then return home, do you need to have a name of that solar system you are returning to. Either Earth's Solar System or the Terran System. We are in the Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001.

Edited by OrganicAnn

Hmm...might be a trick question. I'm finding some sources that are saying that it has no name. Do a Google search of "What is the name of our solar system" and you'll find a couple of FAQs where someone asks that question. The answer is "It doesn't have one".

Here's an example: http://nineplanets.org/intro.html

Scroll down a bit and that question is asked.

I think you may be able to find this information in Star Trek trivia. Because is only when you bravely go where no man has gone before and then return home, do you need to have a name of that solar system you are returning to. Either Earth's Solar System or the Terran System. We are in the Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001.

:D

Found this on an astronomy website:

The name of our solar system is the Solar System.

Notice that I capitalize them, because when used as names, they are proper nouns. This also helps us distinguish between the planet Earth and earth (meaning soil), between the Earth's Moon and moon (meaning the natural satellite of a planet), and between our Solar System and any other solar systems (since any system containing a star and a planet or a planet-forming disk can be called a solar system.)

This is the English language usage approved by the International Astronomical Union, the body in charge of naming celestial objects. It may seem odd that these important objects don't have names, but if you think about it, it just reinforces their importance. For example, the Moon is the Moon, not just any moon. It requires no other name, because it's the most important moon!

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=289

Found this on an astronomy website:

The name of our solar system is the Solar System.

Notice that I capitalize them, because when used as names, they are proper nouns. This also helps us distinguish between the planet Earth and earth (meaning soil), between the Earth's Moon and moon (meaning the natural satellite of a planet), and between our Solar System and any other solar systems (since any system containing a star and a planet or a planet-forming disk can be called a solar system.)

This is the English language usage approved by the International Astronomical Union, the body in charge of naming celestial objects. It may seem odd that these important objects don't have names, but if you think about it, it just reinforces their importance. For example, the Moon is the Moon, not just any moon. It requires no other name, because it's the most important moon!

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=289

Hee...When we meet aliens and figure out how to communicate, we're going to have to adjust to that. "The Moon is the best place to put a base." "THE Moon?" "Yes...the Moon." "Which one?" "THE Moon!" "We have three." "Oh..." :001_smile:

This is the rest of the article:

You may read or hear people using Luna for the Moon, or Terra or Gaia for the Earth, or Sol for the Sun, but in English-speaking countries, these are poetic terms, often seen in science fiction stories, but not used by astronomers in scientific writing. In some countries where Romance languages are spoken, these terms are the official names.

It's also interesting to note that most astronomers do not call our galaxy the Milky Way in technical writing--they call it the Galaxy.

:lol:

:D:D