Menu

Saw the neuro and other stuff

and my son was diagnosed with Generalized Tonic-Clonic seizures, which sound like what I probably had as a child too. He said it's common and some kids DO outgrow it ( I did) and it can be hereditary. He put him on lamitical and I am Ok with it although the risk scares me ( the rash?) He is on a low does and we will build up to his full dose over 6 weeks. We see the neuro at that time to see if we need to adjust anything.

We talked about his LD and he recommended I go through the school for a complete psyc eval, but I have already had a few evals done on my own so I think I am going to continue with what I am doing.

I have an OT eval appointment for next week and talked with an audiologist about having a CAPD ( I think thats the term?) eval done, but he said it will probably be the end of April.

So after these 2 evals we will have covered Audio, OT, Vision and Speech. Am I missing anything? I know he needs cognitive training, but that comes after the other stuff if I am reading the other post right.

I was wondering about haivng my sons IQ tested, but I am not sure if I should or not. I mean does it really matter to know his IQ? Will it change anything? I just don't know how I feel about this.

I guess that's it for now. I just wanted to give an update.

Seems to me you are on the right track. I think you have covered all of the essential bases for evals. The only reason to get IQ and achievement testing done at this point would be to formally get a diagnosis of LD. That isn't really useful for you in terms of homeschooling. Its biggest use is later, in high school, to get accommodations for the college board testing. Getting an LD diagnosis now (IQ testing is needed for that, as achievement has to be much below IQ to qualify as LD) would help establish a history for accommodations later. However, it's not enough to get accommodations, as later you would be required to get him re-tested anyway.

Honestly, I would just wait on IQ testing. Seizures can interfere a *lot* with learning. I would wait to get the seizures under control and any basic therapies out of the way before trying to get an LD diagnosis.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Lamictal. It has been wonderful here for seizures, moods, and cognitive skills.

You do have to start low and go up slowly. Did they give you a chart/schedule for doing so? How about blood tests to find out his blood level? If they didn't do this, I would call and ask for a lab slip. I say this as 11dd is on 50mg am/37.5mg pm while 12dd is on 325mg am/300mg pm and they are only 1 inch and about 2 pounds difference in size. The "target" dose for them was 75mg twice a day----well for one child that would be a level way too high and for the other one, wouldn't hardly touch her seizures at all.

I am on the flip side regarding testing. Esp. considering your other post about standardized testing, it might be very helpful to have a complete neuro=psycho test done on him. It does NOT mean the IQ scores, etc. are set in stone--esp. with the seizure issues, but it will give you a paper trail which can be VERY helpful for the future. It might exempt him from the testing. Provide proof as he gets older that modifications might be needed, etc.

I think that some testing places would be very cautious of parents who have no prior testing and then come in when the child is 17 and say "oh, my child needs special modifications due to ........................." Some parents might try this just as a way to give their child a way to boost their scores. If on the other hand, you can say we did x testing at age 8, y testing at age 11, z testing at 14, and now .... testing at age 17, it would hold more weight.

It might also give the doctor's clues as to whether or not the meds are working like they should.

and my son was diagnosed with Generalized Tonic-Clonic seizures, which sound like what I probably had as a child too. He said it's common and some kids DO outgrow it ( I did) and it can be hereditary. He put him on lamitical and I am Ok with it although the risk scares me ( the rash?) He is on a low does and we will build up to his full dose over 6 weeks. We see the neuro at that time to see if we need to adjust anything.

We talked about his LD and he recommended I go through the school for a complete psyc eval, but I have already had a few evals done on my own so I think I am going to continue with what I am doing.

I have an OT eval appointment for next week and talked with an audiologist about having a CAPD ( I think thats the term?) eval done, but he said it will probably be the end of April.

So after these 2 evals we will have covered Audio, OT, Vision and Speech. Am I missing anything? I know he needs cognitive training, but that comes after the other stuff if I am reading the other post right.

I was wondering about haivng my sons IQ tested, but I am not sure if I should or not. I mean does it really matter to know his IQ? Will it change anything? I just don't know how I feel about this.

I guess that's it for now. I just wanted to give an update.

I'm glad you got a diagnosis on the seizures, Jean. I know that gives you a sense of relief.

((hugs))

You do have to start low and go up slowly. Did they give you a chart/schedule for doing so? How about blood tests to find out his blood level?

I am on the flip side regarding testing. Esp. considering your other post about standardized testing, it might be very helpful to have a complete neuro=psycho test done on him. It does NOT mean the IQ scores, etc. are set in stone--esp. with the seizure issues, but it will give you a paper trail which can be VERY helpful for the future. It might exempt him from the testing. Provide proof as he gets older that modifications might be needed, etc.

They have him on 25 mg once a day for one week and then it slowly increases until he will be on 100 mg/twice a day. They do have me coming back in 6 weeks for lab work and a follow up. Should he have bloood work done sooner than 6 weeks?

Good point about the psyc. eval. I didn't think of that and will have to talk to DH and we will consider it.

Thanks, Jackie. It does feel good to have a reason for the seizures and I am relieved it wasn't more serious.

It sounds reasonable. Of course, every child is different so if there are problems, call the doctor.

I would though see about the blood test BEFORE the doctor's appointment. It takes 3-4 days to get the results back. The blood needs to be drawn 12 hours AFTER the last dose and BEFORE the next dose so that generally means a trip to the lap first thing in the morning.

The benefit to having this done before you go to the doctor is that when you see the doctor, he will have the results in front of him and can adjust the dose up or down if needed from there. Otherwise you will have to call him back after the blood tests and try to do this over the phone.

Just call and ask them for a lap slip so you can do it before the appointment.

It sounds reasonable. Of course, every child is different so if there are problems, call the doctor.

I would though see about the blood test BEFORE the doctor's appointment. It takes 3-4 days to get the results back. The blood needs to be drawn 12 hours AFTER the last dose and BEFORE the next dose so that generally means a trip to the lap first thing in the morning.

The benefit to having this done before you go to the doctor is that when you see the doctor, he will have the results in front of him and can adjust the dose up or down if needed from there. Otherwise you will have to call him back after the blood tests and try to do this over the phone.

Just call and ask them for a lap slip so you can do it before the appointment.

That makes sense. I will call today. Thanks again! :)