Menu

DIVE CD for Apologia Science?

Joy at Home

Does anyone know if this is helpful at all? What does it include? Dd is struggling with Physical Science right now.

thanks,

Lisa

There are a couple of threads on the high school board.

Basically the DIVE cd's are not book-dependent. They drive the topics covered, and you use whatever resource you wish to understand the terms and definitions. You can even just use the internet. It is definitely a high school level class, and I would think it would be more difficult than than Apologia by itself.

(Is this for your 12yo?)

Hi, thanks for responding!!

Yes, this is for dd12 for next year, 8th grade. I'm beginning to rethink science, however. I may wait until 9th grade and use DIVE with BJU or Apologia, and a lower level science until then. This year is her first formal year of science, and I think she could use a couple of years (maybe BJU 7th and 8th grade science?).

I read over some high school threads and looked at the DIVE site, and I'm thinking this may be the way to go with us. I think I started upper science too early and need a couple years to build up to it. I like the sequence recommended on the DIVE site, physical science in 9th, Bio in 10th, Chemistry in 11th, and Physics in 12th. It seems the courses are almost college level and could prepare a student to CLEP these subjects if they wanted to.

Now, could I ask for suggestions for science for the rest of 7th and 8th:bigear:

Thanks!!

Lisa

Edited by Momto5girls

I read over some high school threads and looked at the DIVE site, and I'm thinking this may be the way to go with us. I think I started upper science too early and need a couple years to build up to it. I like the sequence recommended on the DIVE site, physical science in 9th, Bio in 10th, Chemistry in 11th, and Physics in 12th. It seems the courses are almost college level and could prepare a student to CLEP these subjects if they wanted to.

Now, could I ask for suggestions for science for the rest of 7th and 8th:bigear:

Thanks!!

Lisa

I really, *really* wish I had found the DIVE site before my 9th grader reached Ch. 5 in Apologia Biology this year!!! Even having done the Apologia Physical in 8th, I would bet that it wouldn't have hurt DS to have had BJU Physical in 9th.

What have you done in Science so far? Did you do General Science already? If not, I might backtrack to that.

Hmmm....I'm trying to think.

Without knowing what you've already covered in years past, I would say look at Sonlight Science 6 which would be an over-view of Bio, Chem, and Physics (and what I *really* wish I had gotten for my 6th grader this year).

Or, maybe Rainbow Science (which I think might be gentler than Apologia, but you would need to start with Physics, and that might be a sort spot).

Or you could just order some experiment kits. They usually come with little instruction booklets, and/or you could supplement with library books.

Or you could just bring home a bunch of books from the library, let her choose what she likes, and do the occasional experiment in those. (There are really LOTS of experiments in these books, but if that's not your thing, then at least you know she's reading about science.) This is what our science has devolved to this year!

If you have anything you could use as a spine (Usborne or Kingfisher science encyclopedias), the Usborne has occasional experiments. Some topics you might be able to use just the spine - others might need some more explaining.

Maybe someone else will chime in! It's been a while since I've looked at any other science programs - I know there are some newer ones out there.

Thanks!!

Lisa

What about doing BJU for 7th & 8th? They have life Science in 7th and Earth Science in 8th. You can teach these yourself, I am. It will have your dd ready for high school science.