Menu

How can I find a spanish program that will give high school credit?

There are so many programs out there. How can you be sure that the one you choose will qualify as a spanish I,II,III and`so on so that you can give 3 or more years of high school credit. A student could become a fluent speaker, but without the grammar that accompanies the lessons students get in school, can he still qualify for a credit? Spanish I,II,and III are hard to find, especially programs specific to homeschooling.

There are so many programs out there. How can you be sure that the one you choose will qualify as a spanish I,II,III and`so on so that you can give 3 or more years of high school credit.

Great question. Rosetta Stone says that it qualifies as high school credit but others here think it is weak on grammar. I'm curious what replies you receive. I have my eye on the new Version 3 of RS Spanish (Homeschool).

I used BJU Press Spanish I for my son with the audio CD's, book and workbook, also tests and quizzes. He completed all the work for the course and I granted him a Spanish I credit. He returned to public school this year and enrolled in Spanish II. It's been fine for him; he's been able to do it (even with more oral speaking), so I feel their programming is strong.

He also did an 8 week stint with a group at our local Y learning to speak Spanish (once per week for about 2 hours). He reviewed over the course of the summer with Rosetta Stone prior to starting the class at school, as he was worried about how much oral work they might be asked to do from the beginning. But it's been fine,

Regena

We are happy Rosetta Stone users here, but I will add that on this one I am willing to check the box. It is not a rigorous course IMO; it is an immersion type of program, where everything is in the target language....grammar isn't taught per se, but rather caught. The guide book does explain a little of the grammar, but I'm afraid I'd have to agree that as a stand alone, it is Spanish lite. I've heard others say that SOS is good and that BJUP is good.

We really just needed to show 2 years of high school foreign language, so we went with RS and have been perfectly happy. For us, everything else we are doing is pretty tough and we needed something that wasn't as heavy of a course for this one.

Our ds really wants to take German in college, so the level of the Spanish doesn't matter as much to us.

So, I'd say what you have to decide first is what is the goal of high school foreign language? Then you can pick a product to meet that goal.