Menu

How often during the week do you do

RainbowSprinkles

I have a 3rd grader:

FLL4- 3x a week for us (we finished FLL3 a month ago)

Spelling- (planning on 3x a week) we use AAS - we stopped - but I need to add it on to our daily routine again

Vocabulary- no vocab study for us

Writing -(4x/week) we have one more week of WWE3 then we're going to WWE4 - hopefully he'll pass the Evaluation next week

Cursive- (3x/week) we use Handwriting w/o Tears- however many pages he wants to do (dd5 is using it as well :001_smile: - she wants to write fancy)

Edited by daisychics

Grammar? (FLL3)

Spelling? (Spelling Wisdom or Spelling through Copywork)

Vocabulary? (Wordly Wise)

Writing? (Writing Strands)

Cursive? (Handwriting w/o Tears)

This will be for next year, 3rd grade. Do you do it all, 5 days a week? Or do you break it up? If you do, how do you break it up?

TIA

Grammar 3x/week for both 2nd & 4th graders

Spelling 4x/week for 2nd; 2x/week for 4th

Vocab (English from the Roots Up) 1x/week for both

Writing 4x/week for both

Cursive 5x/week for 2nd; no formal program for 4th

We do school 4 days a week; We do grammar every day, handwriting every day, spelling every day. I don't do a vocab. or seperate writing program with my 3rd grader.

:iagree: This is what we do, with the exception of writing. We do IEW's Ancient History Writing Lessons four days a week. I have a 4th grader, but it was the same last year.

Grammar? (FLL3)--we use exercises in english right now, but we'll be switching, perhaps to MCT or Rand McNally's Primary Grammar in the fall...3-4 days a week

Spelling? (Spelling Wisdom or Spelling through Copywork): we use spelling wisdom too, as well as word lists through k12: 2-3 times a week

Vocabulary? (Wordly Wise): we're switching from Worldly Wise to Vocabulary Cartoons, and will be doing one new word a day.

Writing? (Writing Strands): we use WWE2 and do this 4-5 times a week

Cursive? (Handwriting w/o Tears: my son does all dictation in cursive, and also works on his book 2-3 times a week on his own.

We also do a reading comp book once a week.

Grammar? Four days; Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons and KISS

Spelling? We don't use a spelling curriculum. I will start dd with Natural Speller in 3rd grade

Vocabulary? We don't do this, but we got Vocabulary Cartoons for Christmas and I plan to add it in soon.

Writing? Four days; WWE

Cursive? Don't do it yet, but dd wants to start learning cursive

We have a four-day week.

Tara

For my 2nd grader...

Grammar? - We're working from a combination of some old teaching materials I have but will be switching to MCT soon. Currently we work 2x/week on grammar

Spelling? We're currently using a supplementary book called "Spelling Works" and another text that focuses on spelling rules. We do it 4x/week

Vocabulary? (Wordly Wise): We don't do vocabulary as a separate subject... but will start in with MCT I suppose.

Writing? (Writing Strands): My daughter has a writing class she attends once/week. When she's older, we'll focus more on this.

Cursive? (Handwriting w/o Tears): We use HWOT 5x/week.

Grammar? - Once a week (MCT)

Spelling? - Once a week, plus quick test at the end of the week (SWR)

Vocabulary? - Normally not done formally, this year doing instead of spelling on occasion (MCT)

Writing? - Pre-writing one day, writing the next (IEW Theme-based)

Cursive? - Given up on that one!

We also do Literature - Mosdos, once a week, finishing workbook on a second day.

We're doing 4th Grade.

My just turned 8 yr old does Learning Language Art thru Literature on M,T,T,F (it has grammar, vocab and writing), Spelling (we do Spelling Power) 4 days a week, and every day we have a journal we share, she writes to me everyday and I write her back. When she writes to me she alternates cursive/print every other day. My 9yr old is on the same schedule with these subjects...

My kids do grammar daily, but with my oldest two they do half a lesson a day.

My oldest two do spelling daily, and my younger two do it twice a week. I would prefer they all did it daily, but I only have so much time, and they can play catch up later.

Vocab I only do with my older two. They do some words daily. My oldest looks up and defines her own science vocab. I do history vocab cards for both, and my 2nd dd's science vocab cards. Both are required to be able to recite a certain amount of definitions a day.

Writing programs my oldest two do daily, my 2nd dd does twice a week, and my ds doesn't do yet.

My middle two do one page a day in HWT, my oldest finished the books and just does copywork daily, I think 5 mins worth.

I like to do things daily, to have a routine. It helps us all be more efficient. Right now though I just don't have enough time to do all that face time, so my younger two don't do everything daily.

Heather

Grammar: MCT Island (love it) 4x week, 20 min or so, DD is in Sentence Island and Building Language right now…

Spelling: Spelling Power level E, at least one -- often two lists -- 4x week

Vocabulary: 3-4x -- I use the MCT classical words list, and other fun words we come across, WITH the handout found at this link: http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/worksheets/vocabulary%20map%201.pdf

Writing: DD8 is in a Lucy Calkins' style Writers' Workshop class offsite 2x week: plus we do some extra assignments with our history co-op and science classes

Cursive: Getty-Dubay italic -- and it's not a separate exercise: once she 'got' the letterforms, I expect that all assignments / exercises in every area are in her best handwriting... somewhat successful :)

Grammar? (FLL3)

Spelling? (Spelling Wisdom or Spelling through Copywork)

Spelling Workout exercises, copywork and review - 4 days

Vocabulary? (Wordly Wise)

not yet...will probably start next year

Writing? (Writing Strands)

WWE 4 days

Cursive? (Handwriting w/o Tears)

A Reason for Handwriting 4 days

This will be for next year, 3rd grade. Do you do it all, 5 days a week? Or do you break it up? If you do, how do you break it up?

TIA

we do four days of everything, with a built-in day for notebooking, memory work, science experiments, and art lessons. it helps our week just be a little more flexible.

Edited by Hedgehogs4
add info

... though it's not a formal vocab program, we invested in a 365 new words a year "page a day" calendar and read it each morning together.

It's hilarious how "oligopsony" and "crwth" are now household words.

Especially since I had no idea what either word meant before February 4th and 7th...