Menu

We just finished Peter Pan...

(and some other guy!). Have you read them? They're really fun! They explain (obviously in their own way) how Peter and Tink came to be, and offer more history on their stories before them times with Wendy, Michael and John. Worth a look! We just finished Peter and the Shadow Thieves tonight....

Have fun!

- stacey in MA

Here's a link to amazon for those books..

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Starcatchers-Books-Paperback-20the/dp/1423123735/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265598564&sr=8-2

See, they aren't by the original Peter Pan author (J.M. Barrie), but someone else's take on how the original story came to be. (Dave Barry and Ridley Scott). Dave Barry has so many books out - he's a comedian normally (though these books are comedic) - and his books are usually SUPER hysterical, dry, cynical humor!

We'll be on to the last one soon!

:-)

Oh I've never read it! What version did you read (publisher, etc)?

We read this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Puffin-Classics-J-M-Barrie/dp/0141322578/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265598533&sr=8-1#noop

It's unabridged. I'm so glad about that. I wouldn't have wanted to miss a single word! I don't think we have ever read a book with a fairy in it before. My boys really don't even like fantasy very much and were a little bit scared of starting this. But, we loved it.

Thanks Stacey! I'm going to look for those.

We read this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Puffin-Classics-J-M-Barrie/dp/0141322578/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265598533&sr=8-1#noop

It's unabridged. I'm so glad about that. I wouldn't have wanted to miss a single word! I don't think we have ever read a book with a fairy in it before. My boys really don't even like fantasy very much and were a little bit scared of starting this. But, we loved it.

Thanks Stacey! I'm going to look for those.

Thanks Donna. :) I'm going to check my libray. :)

Brings back sweet memories of when my girls were little...we would have a daily rest time - I'd draw the curtains to darken the house, and the girls would lie on the couch with their pillows and we would listen to audio books. I still remember the opening music at the beginning of each chapter of Peter Pan- spooky, romantic, and so fitting to the atmosphere.

My girls would go around quoting phrases for a long time afterwards...

" 'Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa!' - Mr Darling had had a classical education"

"Fathers a cowardly custard!"

and many more.....

Great to have a trip down memory lane!! Another one the girls had great fun with was the unabridged Mary Poppins. I think boys would be fine with that, too.

Brings back sweet memories of when my girls were little...we would have a daily rest time - I'd draw the curtains to darken the house, and the girls would lie on the couch with their pillows and we would listen to audio books. I still remember the opening music at the beginning of each chapter of Peter Pan- spooky, romantic, and so fitting to the atmosphere.

My girls would go around quoting phrases for a long time afterwards...

" 'Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa!' - Mr Darling had had a classical education"

"Fathers a cowardly custard!"

and many more.....

Great to have a trip down memory lane!! Another one the girls had great fun with was the unabridged Mary Poppins. I think boys would be fine with that, too.

:D

My boys talk like that, too!! I've felt so sad. I don't even know what to read to them next. I thought maybe Mary Poppins or maybe Pinnochio. My husband said that Pinnochio is really sad. He suggested this:

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Tales-Richard-Chase/dp/0618346929/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265680943&sr=8-1

but I've never even heard of it before. I think we'll try Mary Poppins.

:D

My boys talk like that, too!! I've felt so sad. I don't even know what to read to them next. I thought maybe Mary Poppins or maybe Pinnochio. My husband said that Pinnochio is really sad. He suggested this:

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Tales-Richard-Chase/dp/0618346929/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265680943&sr=8-1

but I've never even heard of it before. I think we'll try Mary Poppins.

Pinocchio is so good to read out loud. My son loved loved it! Mary Poppins was really good too but I think we liked Pinocchio better.

We are reading Old Yeller right now (excellent) but Peter Pan has been on my amazon wish list for some time. I think I am going to move it to the front of the list.

Peter Pan was the very first book I read aloud to ds as official homeschoolers when he was 7 and I had just taken him out of school and we were alone together all day- I have such beautiful memories of snuggling on the couch and reading that to him during the day, as a reward for doing a little bit of schoolwork!

Boy, are you ever brave!! I've read on the Sonlight boards that that is the saddest book that they sell!

We are on page 75 (almost halfway) and it has not been sad yet.

We have had excellent discussions about the time period and what it was like to live back then.

I was a bit shocked at the beginning of the book when the boy whips the donkey and throws rocks at Old Yeller and some other stuff. Again, we had some really good discussions about it. My son of course will be talking about it forever :001_smile: