Menu

If you have a visual-spatial learner , which curriculum works best ?

blessedmom3

The EPS history workbook chapters are much shorter than the SOTW chapters, with much less detail. They hit the important high points. He really does find them interesting and the amount of reading they require is perfect for him. The questions require him to look back into the text to get the answers, so he is learning the skill of reading for information, and how to use a highlighter. All the questions are too much for him to handle in one day so I split that work into two days. We are finally getting history done. These workbooks are exactly what was needed for him.

Do you need the TM for these?

DS1 is not V/S, but he cannot stand to be read to or to listen to an audio track. He likes to read information, himself, but his stamina for reading is low. This is why SOTW did not work for him - too much for him to read himself, and listening to me or the CD is not an option for him. What is working for him for history is the EPS School Specialty Publishing series, "The Story of Western Civilization". They are reading comprehension workbooks that cover history in a chronological series. I supplement them with Brainpop videos when there is one that fits the chapter topic.

Thank you for mentioning these. I had never heard of them. I think my 12 yo would enjoy these and learning ally has the audio so he could listen and read along.

I forgot to address the other subjects:

Spelling: I started using the Barton system with him, but it's very expensive and time consuming, and several folks on another board said they had switched from Barton to All About Spelling and had equal success. So I bought AAS levels 1 & 2, but am embarrassed to say I haven't started using them yet.

History: Two words: Netflix & DVR. I think Netflix has about 200 documentaries on Egypt and DS has watched most of them, LOL. I also sit down every Sunday night and scroll through everything on Discovery, History Channel, Biography, Science, Nat Geo, etc., and set the DVR to record anything that looks vaguely interesting or relevant. We have watched a ton of documentaries on ancient civilizations, some of which were truly very very good. There was one particularly great one on the Hittite Empire that was more interesting and informative than any book we had. I do also read aloud a lot, since DS doesn't mind being read to, but he probably remembers about 10% of what he hears and 90% of what he sees. He will often talk about something he saw in a documentary several years ago, and he remembers it perfectly in incredible detail (even though he can't remember a single word of something I told him 5 minutes ago!).

Science: Ditto above, plus lots of experiments and hands-on activities. We're also really lucky to have a terrific Science Museum here, as well as a Natural History Museum.

Jackie

:iagree:Especially about the documentaries... this is how DS learns best. We tried AAS but DS hated it... mayb if he were younger?

• 2 years later...
Guest amarks

HELP! My son is 13 heading to 9th grade in public school and while doing extensive research I realized he is VSL. He has been behind in school, but when it comes to outside learning he is extremely smart! Now I know why! Can someone give me some advice on helping my student? I can't home school him because I am a single parent and I have to work to support my family! I am going to setup an appointment with his guidance counselor before school starts to let them know this. Can someone give me any other ideas or help so that his high school years can be more effective and productive. He suffered terribly in middle school and was depressed and felt "dumb' and "not smart."  I will be providing as much help as I can at home. 

AMarks

Hi!  Did you see Lori's post on the first page?  She has a lot of suggestions for books, etc.  Also, I always wanted to buy this book:  http://blog.dyslexia.com/picture-it-teaching-visual-spatial-learners/#.U9EqZ1aczLQ  I haven't read it, but it looks like it has some practical learning strategies for VSLs.

There's also this website:  http://visualspatial.org

Links from Hoagie's Gifted website (this is just a really helpful website in general):  http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/visual-spatial.htm

This PDF from a public school district has some info:  http://www.hampton.k12.va.us/departments/gifted/Visual%20Spatial%20HCS.pdf

http://www.giftedchildren.org.nz/national/article4.php

I hope you find some information that is helpful.  Good luck with the school year! 

• 2 months later...

HELP! My son is 13 heading to 9th grade in public school and while doing extensive research I realized he is VSL. He has been behind in school, but when it comes to outside learning he is extremely smart! Now I know why! Can someone give me some advice on helping my student? I can't home school him because I am a single parent and I have to work to support my family! I am going to setup an appointment with his guidance counselor before school starts to let them know this. Can someone give me any other ideas or help so that his high school years can be more effective and productive. He suffered terribly in middle school and was depressed and felt "dumb' and "not smart."  I will be providing as much help as I can at home. 

AMarks

Hello AMarks! I hope you come back and read this. I used to be an public high school English school teacher and my passion was helping students just like your son who were smart, but their smartness didn't translate to the typical classroom. You are on your son's side, and that is the most important thing. Right now, the very best thing you can do for your son is to find a place at the school or outside where he can excel. At school it may be an art or music class, a foreign language, a sport, a vocational class such as drafting or auto shop, or a club. Outside of school it may be a job, community service, a community college class, or a church youth group (not all youth groups are the same, so "shop" around). The key is you need to help him find a place he belongs and that he is genuinely learning or contributing to help him build his confidence and his identity. One key thing about VSLs is that their basic skills (ie math, writing skills, etc) begin to "click" into place when they find purpose and passion in what they are doing.

Here's a few things you can do within the school system to help reduce your son's frustration:

• If one teacher or class isn't working for him at all, request to switch classes. A different teacher or class format for the same subject can make all the difference in the world. In high school, sometimes moving to a more advanced class helps a VSL because they tend to be more project oriented.
  • Set up a conference (even if it as phone or email conversation) with the teacher in the subjects he struggles in and ask how you can help. If the teacher will work with you great, if not, move classes. If the counselors won't let you move classes go to the principal and imply that you are thinking of putting your son in a different school or alternate program (even if you are not). Your son's attendance equals a couple thousand dollars in funds...so the thought of losing student unnecessarily can prompt the principal to act on your behalf.
  • Request to have your son evaluated. I think in some states, the request for an evaluation has to come from the parents. If the counselor finds a discrepancy between your son's IQ and his school performance you work with the school to write an IEP (Individualized Education Program) for your son that the teachers would be legally bound to follow. 
  • You can also look into a charter homeschool. Your district may have one or there may be a statewide one you can enroll in. At the high school level, charter homeschools are usually technology based, so classes would be online. Many charter homeschool programs allot funds for tutors or outside classes for enrichment. Look for a charter homeschool where you can choose the curriculum. 
  • You can work out a plan with your district where you use a charter homeschool for classes your son struggles in (he may blossom as soon as he can work at his own pace without worrying about comparing himself to the rest of the class) and enroll your son in electives and other classes at your public high school.
  • If there is a nearby vocational high school, you can check into transferring your son into that. The format of classes is different and the emphasis is on hands-on learning rather than abstract learning.
  • If all else fails, in a couple of years your son can "test out" of high school and go straight to community college or a vocational program where he can hand pick his subjects and teachers. A lot of VSLs do well completing a vocational program first and then getting a degree next. For example, he could go to a culinary school or complete an auto mechanics program first then work his way through college (with a well-paying job) and then get a BA in business so he can open his own shop. Or he could get a computer tech license then get a BA in computer programming. 

Best of luck to you and your son. My prayers are with you.

History: Two words: Netflix & DVR. I think Netflix has about 200 documentaries on Egypt and DS has watched most of them, LOL. I also sit down every Sunday night and scroll through everything on Discovery, History Channel, Biography, Science, Nat Geo, etc., and set the DVR to record anything that looks vaguely interesting or relevant. We have watched a ton of documentaries on ancient civilizations, some of which were truly very very good. There was one particularly great one on the Hittite Empire that was more interesting and informative than any book we had. I do also read aloud a lot, since DS doesn't mind being read to, but he probably remembers about 10% of what he hears and 90% of what he sees. He will often talk about something he saw in a documentary several years ago, and he remembers it perfectly in incredible detail (even though he can't remember a single word of something I told him 5 minutes ago!).

Along the same lines...check this out.  It is great!  Especially if you have access to interlibrary loan.  We used it with our olders along with a "movie form" that I made for them.

There is a great review here, so I will just say, "ditto" to everything! :lurk5:

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Movies-Guide-Education-Fun/dp/0975392239

If not sure what visual -spatial learner is , you can check it here:

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/Visual_Spatial_Learner/vsl.htm

Most children with autism & Aspergers are VS but not only . I am a VS but not in the autistic spectrum :001_smile:

Mostly interested in what workd best for math &spelling and reading

Especially for beginning math K-3.

But also history . How do you teach history to a child who does not like to be read aloud to ?

Dancing Bears Reading, Apples & Pears Spelling, Miquon Math & Singapore.

Horrible Histories videos on Youtube & SOTW with the coloring sheets and mapwork. They color while I read. Read only a small section at a time, and narrate and discuss. Read picture books first. GO places, visit wherever you can and then read about it....visit via the internet where you cannot go. If they can VISUALIZE while you are reading, the reading will come along. It's important to nudge them into being able to listen & comprehend.