Menu

A list of awesome online classes your kids are taking this year?

• 1 month later...
My son and daughter are taking Electronics from: www.quickstudylabs.com

They have grade school level classes as well.

Have your kids taken one of these classes before? I was looking at the website and I am wondering which is the best...Edison project class or Electronics 1?

I also was wondering if the amount of time each day for experiments is accurate. We don't normally do science experiments but about 2 times a week so I am curious if doing them daily is a strain on the rest of the day's schedule.

any info on this? thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very interested in the Quick Study Labs, too. My ds15 is really into electronics and would love this! The only thing that worries me is the age range - from looking around on the site it seems that most of the kids who have taken these courses are more in the 10-12 age group with just a few mid-teens in there.

My daughter is going to take iPhone development this year at hscompsci. Last year she took AP Computer Science. She seemed to like it so we added iPhone app programming.

We got her an iPad and she loves it! I'm hoping that she can make an app and get rich.... or at least have some fun.:)

• 1 year later...

Pre-algebra through Algebra 2 - Jann Perkins @ MyHomeschoolMathClass. My non-mathy, used-to-hate math son insists upon Mrs. Jann since first studying with her in 9th grade. She knows math and the curricula from which she teaches. She's personable, firm, and fair. Expectations are clear. She's easily accessible and quick with responses. This year I have another son who has started with Jann. His verdict is still out, but he tends not to like anything about academics.

TPS - French w/Madame Starosciak, World Geography with Helen Williams, English w/Janis Gaines, English with RuthAnn Frederick (middle school).

The Landry Academy - biology w/Gregg Landry. I'm still not sure about this one. It wasn't what I expected, but it was okay. I'm thinking that maybe my expectations were too high. He knows the subject matter and his expectations are clear. He was personable and responded quickly to emails. However, I didn't think the class was rigorous enough and I thought that lecture time could have been used more efficiently.

I know this is an old thread, but since no one has mentioned them, the Torrey Academy online classes offered by Biola were wonderful for my dd.

She did Inklings and Foundations of American Thought. Both were truly excellent.

Another highlight for her was Church History with Matthew Turnbull of Alexandria Tutorials. She took off a year from Torrey, so she could do his class, and it did not disappoint.

• 3 years later...

My ds is taking AoPS Calculus which is really hard but I think it might be the first time my ds has struggled in math, so I am really happy that he is enjoying it and really having to knuckle down and work.

We love Homeschool Spanish Academy and ds is in his 4th year and is looking to take AP Spanish at the end of the year.

MIT's online Physics course is self guided so we have had to set up a schedule but he is being challenged but he really enjoys how the Professor teaches.

Athena's Advanced Academy has classes for SOTW and a world geography class that are geared for about 4th-7th grade. Trinqueta did both the history and geography classes and enjoyed them. She's retained the information well.

Unfortuantely we're off cycle for the SOTW and the geo is a full year class