Menu

MCT and CW users! ???

Hello. I'm new here, and would really appreciate your wisdom. I've learned an amazing amount from just lurking here for a while.

Ds15, 9th grade, needs a new writing program. From what I've read of CW, I love their philosophy, but it just seems too late in the game (and maybe too complicated) to pick up at Homer for OB and try to get the whole high school program accomplished. Plus, he was in ps through 7th grade, and I think this might just be too "different" for him.

One thing I really like about CW is the model analysis and the way it has the student think about how their word choice and sentences affect emphasis.

So, my question is.... Does MCT also accomplish this? From what I've seen, MCT is very big on using the "correct" word, sentence, paragraph, yes? Does this translate into something similar to what CW is trying to teach, albeit using different means? (Mind you, I am just speaking about this particular aspect of CW; I know there's a whole bunch more to it.) If I went with MCT, what level would you recommend?

Thanks for your insights!

Jennifer

So, my question is.... Does MCT also accomplish this? From what I've seen, MCT is very big on using the "correct" word, sentence, paragraph, yes? Does this translate into something similar to what CW is trying to teach, albeit using different means? (Mind you, I am just speaking about this particular aspect of CW; I know there's a whole bunch more to it.) If I went with MCT, what level would you recommend?

Thanks for your insights!

Jennifer

I can't compare CW, but I'm using MCT with an 8th grader this year. I've seen progress in the areas I *really, really* wanted to see progress in.

As for what level, I have been involved in lots of discussions here, on the Yahoo board, and in emails with someone from RFWP. My conclusion for older kids is that it really depends on your family. RFWP would probably recommend the first high school level, Magic Lens 1. Many folks are happily succeeding with that level. I purchased that level and knew it just wasn't the breath of fresh air that I was seeking (except for the grammar, which is working fine for us).

We both LOVE Caesar's English, which is 2 levels below Magic Lens. It's raising my son's vocabulary aspirations to a higher level. CE spends a LOT of time convincing the student that higher vocab is really used by people -- lots and lots of people -- so it isn't just a boring school topic. And even I understand words better after reading it with my son. We're using it at a faster rate and will probably get to CE-2 late in the year.

We've backed up two levels in the writing this year, and are now using Paragraph Town. It's quite young, but my son begs for more. And the thing is that it's what *he* needed. He's had the ability but refused to see the wisdom in planning and organizing his writing. To him, it was kinda like expecting him to sit at a red light for 3 hours just because the law says not to go until it turns green -- he felt the rules were ridiculous and holding him back. MCT, I am happy to say, is finally convincing him that the rules are good and true. But he needed to go all the way back to Paragraph Town to really get it. Each child will need different levels for different reasons, IMHO.

Julie